View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 05:39 PM

What's the best 'dog holiday' you have been on?

Been looking through some photo threads and yes STILL planning so I was thinking it would be interesting to hear from you guys not only a recommendation as such but what you felt was YOUR best 'dog holiday' (by that I mean a hol where the dog goes with you )

Where did you go for a holiday when the dogs went with you?
Why was it the best place?
What sort of walks (safe for off-lead dogs etc) were there?
Did you still need to drive to the 'walking destinations' from your accommodation?
What type of accommodation? Would you still use the same accommodation as last time? (if so why?)
What other 'non-dog' activities were there?
How long did it take you to get there (from home)?
What time of year did you go?
If there is something this holiday had that others didnt, what was it and why are you drawn to going back there?

and of course, pics please?!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 06:03 PM
The dogs have only been on one holiday but i'll answer anyway!

Llysfaen, Colwyn Bay in North Wales.
Why was it the best place? N/A
Long stretches of beach, plenty of mountain and forest walks located in the area.
Did you still need to drive to the 'walking destinations' from your accommodation?
Not really as the accommodation was situated in a rural location. However, the stiles were almost impassable for the dogs (very high and flanked with barbwire as an added danger) so I gave up! The beach was only a mile away and there was a nature reserve behind the cottage.
What type of accommodation?
Detached cottage with secure garden.
Would you still use the same accommodation as last time? (if so why?)
Definately, was a 'home from home' with everything a lived in house has and huge luxurious beds! It allows 3 dogs and had a secure garden with magnificent views over the hills.
Seaside shopping centres, rail rides through the mountains, boat trips, museums, most things you could want.
How long did it take you to get there (from home)? 2.5 hours (being the only driver, I didnt want a long journey).
September
If there is something this holiday had that others didnt, what was it and why are you drawn to going back there?
It had a great combination of coastal areas and Snowdonia National Park with the immense beauty of the mountains always in the background. It was also one of the very few places I could find which allowed 3 dogs.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 06:14 PM
I'm just going with the flow Leanne set here

Mablethorpe (past two years)

It's the best so far and it's where we got Louie

The site had a grassy field with two walks on and also a river type thing flowing through (the walk went around this - we called it the squiggly walk)
And the Beach.

You didn't to the grass one. The beach was a two mile walk away so no - you could walk or go by car.

What type of accommodation? Would you still use the same accommodation as last time? (if so why?)
Caravan and no - it's freezing at night! But it was a free holiday (the loads we went on were free - we didn't have to pay to rent it out as it was owned by OH's family)

There was a bar and restaurant on site, arcades and bars in the town and Skeggy down the road..

2 hours (notts - mablethorpe using back routes)

Spring/Summer/Autumn in 2010 (nearly every weekend) and Spring this year.

N/A

Pictures:
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=145835
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Pictures:
View from living room window of cottage:

Snowdonia National Park (weather is unpredictable!):

Looking from Brecon Sands, Conwy over to Deganwy:

Conwy mountain:

Sunset over Colwyn Bay (taken from the nature reserve behind the cottage):

And Colwyn Bay in daylight:

Brecon Sands, Conwy (with the Great Orme, Llandudno in the background):

Llysfaen taken from the nature reserve behind the cottage:

Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the replies!

It's interesting to hear about what others have enjoyed/not enjoyed and also (I'm hoping) will help me to plan mine

May give me some pointers as to what to avoid, what to look for etc etc.

I think it was Brundog(?) who posted great photos of Wester Ross on another thread so thats still up there but I would like to think - YES, thats where I want to go, if you see what I mean?

So far I have decided that I would like; Lovely (hill) walks (a combo of hill/forest walks would top it nicely), good scenery, water/beach (possibly Loch Lomond/Trossachs comes to mind as I type), no more than a few hours travel ideally but if I pick somewhere that requires more travelling an overnight may be arranged on the way there/home.

PS photos are great

Keep em coming guys! Really nice to see people's choices/holiday areas in one place, will really help...
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 07:06 PM

Been on a few but by far the best is Little Dumpledale in Pembrokeshire

As many dogs as you want and no restrictions they can get on the furniture and beds if need be, last time we went with 4 adults, 2 teenagers and 7 spaniels

Loads of beaches and a decent walk from the cottage door

Yes to the beaches

Have stayed in the caravan and little dumpledale farmhouse, caravans ok for summer prefer the cottages out of season, all have plenty of secure garden, the caravan has 1/4 acre

Any you want really as you can leave the dogs home alone.

6hrs

June and February

Its truly dog friendly, Carol and Trevor have 6 of their own, and everybody that goes there has dogs, so your not worrying all the time

Loads of piccies

Here

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g6...ledale%202010/

and here

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g6...%20Feb%202011/
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 07:10 PM
looks good Lizzy, thanks for your reply