Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 03:31 PM

Crate or bathroom?

I'm in the process of crate training Spencer. It's all going very well and he seems quite happy in there with a stuffed Kong to keep him busy. However, I'm at the doctors tomorrow and I'm going to be out of the house for about 2 hours (40 minute walk each way). Spencer hasn't been crated for longer than half an hour yet and I'm not sure it would be a good idea to crate him tomorrow. I don't want to risk leaving him for long enough that he becomes distressed and has a bad experience with the crate.

Now, it's possible (but very impractical on a regular basis) to dog proof the bathroom so that there's nothing in there he can chew or eat. I was thinking I may be better leaving him in there with a stuffed Kong tomorrow while I go to the doctors. It's literally the only room we can dog proof unless we lock him in the cellar and there's not much more room in there than he has in his crate but it doesn't matter if he has a bad association with the bathroom, a bad association with the crate could cause real problems when we're posted.

I think I already know the answer but thought I'd ask what others would do. One of the two options is necessary as he's taken to destroying things when left.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 03:42 PM
why not put the crate in the bathroom but leave it open so he feels at home and can retreat into it if he feels like it and if he's a bit worried???
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2012, 03:44 PM
I may be wrong, as I'm not a puppy expert, but I would say the crate.

I know he has only been in there for half an hour at longest. But in my opinion, crates are supposed to be 'their den', maybe moving to the bathroom would distress him a little as he won't be as familiar with the room?

If you really tire him out before you go, then settle him for a nap, and add a kong etc to keep him busy when he wakes up, he may be ok.

Entirely up to you though xxx
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Now that would have been the perfect solution but unfortunately the crate is too wide to fit. We have a long but narrow bathroom. It's wide enough that Spen can stretch out in there but not quite wide enough to get the crate in.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Dogs don't really have any concept of time so, as long as he is well exercised and has enough toys etc to keep him busy, I would say the crate. The bathroom might become a bit scary and I would have visions of him trying to get out via the bath and slipping (I know, too much imagination for my own good!).
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Thing is BellaBeagle, the crate isn't his den at the moment. That's what we're working on and what I really don't want to mess up as there's a good chance he'll need to be crated for travel purposes. He likes the bathroom and will go in there if anyone leaves the bathroom door open, I think he likes the tiled floor.

As for tiring him out, this is a 9 month old Lab, I don't think they know what the word tired means
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 03:59 PM
If I want to put my two in different rooms one of the places Cava goes is the bathroom and he's quite happy. I can see your point about not wanting to give him a bad association with the crate.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 09:31 PM
A difficult choice The trouble with putting him in the bathroom is that if he has never been shut in there before I would imagine that he will be far more distressed when he asks to come out and nobody arrives to open the door
My choice would be to put him in the crate after a long walk. Give him a kong etc, leave the radio on etc etc and go to the doctors. At least he has been in the crate before and the view out of the crate is obviously familiar to him. The chances are he will settle down as dogs apparently don't have much concept of time. Even if he doesn't, at least you know he is safe! Is there nobody you know who would come in and sit with him? Or even better do you know anyone who could give you a lift so that you can shorten your trip?
Good luck and let us know what happens
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 09:38 PM
If it were me, I'd probably choose the crate.

Do you have access to get a nice big raw bone? Or two kongs? You could freeze the filling in on, and have non-frozen in the other to try and eek occupied time out.

Also, with regards to tiring him out beforehand, could you hide some treats on your walk and make him sniff them out? This should help tire him.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 09:59 PM
I've got 2 Kongs, I was going to freeze one tonight and give him that and one with his breakfast kibble and some melted cheese in it in his crate when we leave. That combo usually keeps him occupied for an hour.

I'll try and give him a good run before we leave but it's bloody difficult at that time in the morning due to everyone walking their dogs before work or jogging before work. We're not at a point where he can ignore them, he'll go charging over to jump all over them so is on a long line. I'll do some training with him too though.

Unfortunately walking is the only way I'm going to get there. Hubby can't take the car on camp as he's not got the paperwork sorted. There are buses but given the way the transport works chances are I'd be even longer than the 2 hours if I used those!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >