Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I use these.

http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/item...ead--haltilead

Such a flexible lead - great if you are using a harness and collar or if you want to tie them up (e.g. while at the pub - it means you don't have to unclip the lead to put it round something.

Really comfy to hold, the only drawback is that they hold the water when they get wet and then can really stink (but easily washable).
thats what i use for jake, along with his halti harness lol. i think its great with the adjustable length and that they are good to tie them up somewhere, very handy! i always tie jake up on his while i clean him after a walk, its great way to keep him still lol
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 08:08 PM
tbh i use a training lead for pepsi. it is padded and very comfy to hold.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 08:18 PM
sounded like millie a while back -

to stop them pulling....

loop the lead, walk - they pull let the lead go slack and say 'heel' and turn back the other way...(quickly)..

they get the hint when they are sick of going back and too and realise they are getting nowhere

failing that buy a halti

maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 11:11 PM
It's a real challenge to get a Springer walking nicely on the lead, particularly if you are heading off on a walk. I have seen numerous police and prison drugs dogs scrabbling around, straining at the end of their leads! You have to be really determined because they are so busy and focused on where they want to be and their next task. If you are not that determined try a halti which they usually dislike for a while, but get used to it.
jones
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-11-2009, 11:21 PM
I use a standard slip rope lead and a home made re-call lead at 15m of webbing as Jones can be easily spooked which send him into flight mode disabling his recall mode..
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2009, 11:27 PM
We use one of these..

http://www.ezydoguk.co.uk/index.php?...roducts_id=266

along with a Halti harness, seems to stop our springer pulling, the only thing we have found is that if the harness gets soaked (which it often does with Hamish!) it stretches and it doesn't work as well if you forget to tighten it.

Deedee xx
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Max, I know. I actually don't mind him pulling, it's the Power Surging that really bothers me. He goes loose, then suddenly gives a surge, it's really bad on my wrists. Fortunately most of our walks are straight out of the bot and off lead but on the odd occasion I go into town with him it would be nice for him to know to walk nicely. Maybe when he's abit older ;o)

I've heard mixed reviews about the Cujo leads. I like the idea of them but would it make him worse I wonder?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Max, I know. I actually don't mind him pulling, it's the Power Surging that really bothers me. He goes loose, then suddenly gives a surge, it's really bad on my wrists. Fortunately most of our walks are straight out of the bot and off lead but on the odd occasion I go into town with him it would be nice for him to know to walk nicely. Maybe when he's abit older ;o)

I've heard mixed reviews about the Cujo leads. I like the idea of them but would it make him worse I wonder?
Pidgey this is the mistake we made with Cosmo, he was always offlead when young so expected it,now if it doesn't happen he does pull, not as much these days, but he is strong and I am not!
In all honesty the things that have helped the most are Turid's methods alongside not letting him offlead all the time.If you want him to walk well on a lead, he needs practice, you can't just expect him to do it...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge
. Fortunately most of our walks are straight out of the bot and off lead but on the odd occasion I go into town with him it would be nice for him to know to walk nicely. Maybe when he's abit older ;o)

I've heard mixed reviews about the Cujo leads. I like the
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
alongside not letting him offlead all the time.If you want him to walk well on a lead, he needs practice, you can't just expect him to do it...
Have to agree with Ramble here, by the sounds of it, it wont matter what lead you use, unless you have taught him to walk to heel, he is not going to know what you want from him.

Even the fact you are straight out into off lead walks, you need to use some of that time to lead walk him....

I would start your walks off, with him walking on a lead, then off lead, then on again, ending your walk on lead.

But even then you are going to have to spend some time doing road walking to allow you to teach him what you require.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Have to agree with Ramble here, by the sounds of it, it wont matter what lead you use, unless you have taught him to walk to heel, he is not going to know what you want from him.

Even the fact you are straight out into off lead walks, you need to use some of that time to lead walk him....

I would start your walks off, with him walking on a lead, then off lead, then on again, ending your walk on lead.

But even then you are going to have to spend some time doing road walking to allow you to teach him what you require.
Oh I do do an on lead walk everyday to train him. I meant ''most'' of his walks are straight into off lead.

There's a country park near where I live and we walk form the house to the park and round it on lead, then into the country park off lead and on lead back. This is everyday and this is when either of us do some on lead training with him. Basically, when he pulls we lead him back to be in line, say ''heel'' and set off, repeat, repeat, repeat. It is slightly improving, but not ideal and not helped by the fact that my husband keeps trying different things if he thinks it isn't working. Men! ;o)
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >