Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 11:53 AM
I abhor this idea ... I do hope it isn't true
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm fairly sure they did a piece on it on the main BBC News, so I guess its been approved by the local authorities
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I abhor this idea ... I do hope it isn't true
unfortunately it is true moobli
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Oh no heaton Park will be affected, I walk there
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 11:59 AM
So what are they considering a public space? anywhere outside the home or your own land etc?? I mean I don't let my dogs off lead in small parks anyway but in wide open spaces like the forest and heath land etc.

Some people may not mind dogs being leashed at all times in public but some of us don't have any land of our own and our dogs would never get to run.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-03-2007, 12:00 PM
here are the points from the first post, its still in its consultations stage, they have said they may put dog areas in parks affected, but are unsure as its only the major parks affected.

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/envheal...yproposals.htm

My neighbour has just told me that a notice has been put up listing about 50-80 different parks throughout manchester where all dogs regardless of breed must not be off-lead at anytime, now i can understand this to a degree, however some of these "parks are no more than a field, including 2 where mine go running. It seems to me that responsable owners like my self are being punished for people who have no control over there dogs. He also said they did not list where you can let your dogs run.

It also said that you must pick up after your dog and they will be enforcing this rule(about time) but a number of places they list are know dumping grounds for cars, bikes, old toy, household goods. One time over xmas i saw one woman drag a wheelie bin full of rubish and leftovers down the road to one of these "parks" and tip it out. Now i for one do not think i should be made to clean up my dogs when people are doing this and nothing happens and its left to fester there for weeks untill the council remove it despite a high number of phone calls.

I feel the "all dogs on leads" rule is a knock-on from the media campaign that "all dogs attack". I will let you know more when we are told, as a a4 notice on a gate is not imo a propper way to tell people
Here are the points listed
A. fouling of land by dogs and the removal of dog faeces.
I have said that i do so, but i refuse to do so in the areas where there is fly tipping that is left for weeks on end

B. the keeping of dogs on leads.

I have put my dogs are off lead as they are trained well but are put on if needs be, it seems to be punishing responable owners because of a minority.

C. the putting, and keeping, of dogs on leads when directed to do so by an authorised officer

I said would be happy to do so, if asked politely and if a reason to do so, and judging by the staff who work for them i find this highly unlikely (see my complaint)

D. the exclusion of dogs from land used for sport.

I dont let them off in areas like this but some of the places listed have not seen any sport since england won the world cup, 1 listed was a "football pitch" now imo 1 set of posts that have fell down months back is not a football picth

E. the number of dogs which a person may take on to any land. (6)

A point i agree with in therory but it should be raised or lowered depending on the size of dogs and how well trained.

On the other comments section i have asked if this was a knee jerk reaction to the media hype, i also put that its punishing good owners and good dogs, people who let the dogs run riot and dont clean up now are not going to suddenly change.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by angelmist View Post
Oh no heaton Park will be affected, I walk there
Yes, it is one of the parks affected, i walk there as well
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 12:10 PM
I watched the national news this morning,they were in a park (somewhere?!) and said that the council's are thinking about giving out the £80 fine FOR DOGS NOT UNDER PROPER CONTROL in public places, i.e. parks and suchlike. There was no mention whatsoever, about dogs not being able to be let off leads, just the fact that if they cause a nuisance, are not under strict control, then the council has the right to fine them £80! Quite honestly, are they really going to spend the money paying somebody to stand in the park all day long to enforce said fine then? I don't think so!!!
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2007, 12:12 PM
i can understand it to a degree where there are lots of kids around and maybe picnic type areas. but most of the country parks have lots of wide open spaces and you dont see many people walking there. i think it will stop people going for days out to public places and the parks where you have to pay to park will see a decline in profit!!! i have only just started letting sam off the lead and i dont want to have to start walking him on the lead cos he's just a nightmare and it wouldnt be enjoyable for either of us. what about people who have 2 or more dogs....all those leads getting tangled up!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I have no problem with dogs being on a lead when they are in a public place.
Dawn.
I may have miss-read your post, but you would not have a problem with your dogs not not having any off-lead exercise?
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »