Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2005, 09:55 AM

Play Biting (rough play with other dog)

Molly and Patch are getting on very well indeed. Double Trouble!! I have two problems though. One is that they are very hyper when anyone comes and bark like crazy, so I have to put them in another room, a bit worried in case it gets out of hand and someone gets nipped.
The main problem is that they play so much and catch hold of each other when playing. So much so, that Milly has some quite nasty sores on her neck. She doesn't yelp but Patch is quite a lot chunkier than she is and is obviously biting her harder than needed. I have bathed her sore spots and put medication on, I wondered if there is anything that I could put on to make him stop chewing her. (something nasty tasting) that would be a deterrant.
I know it is just the newness of it all and hopefully it will settle down (after all Patch has only been with us for 2 weeks) But I don't want my little Millie hurt. Patch is a real sweetheart, by the way. We love him to bits.
Regards,
AnneXX

OOPS!!
I have just realized I should have posted this in the behaviour section. Eraze Help!!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Obedience training should help to solve the over-excitement which occurs when visitors arrive.

Re biting - what is the age difference between the dogs? Do you interfere in any way, verbally or physically, with their rough play? Usually a confident bitch will put a pushy dog in his place rather quickly.
Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Hi Shadowboxer, Thanks for your reply. Millie is 1 year old and Patch is 8yrs. We have had Millie for 5 months and Patch for 2 weeks.
Actually she instigates the play fighting I think it is just that patch is a bit OTT. He was only neutered 3weeks ago and his hormones are still a bit up I think. Millie doesn't complain it is just that I noticed the sores and they have bled a little.
Patch is quite a sturdy dog. Millie can put him in his place when she wants to but he is slow to react. I will post a pic so you can see the difference.
Also they are still getting to know us and each other(and doing very well, we are really happy with them).

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/att...tid=1492&stc=1
Regards AnneXX
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0143.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1492