Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
miloPJ
New Member!
Female 

28-02-2018, 01:15 AM

Chronic Skin Infections

Milo is almost 2 years old, and his entire life he has had extremely sensitive skin. He has tried getting monthly shots for allergies, and those did prove effective but only for a few weeks. He no longer gets the shots and has since been placed on a prescription food called Derm Defense. He was also prescribed medicated shampoo to help with his itchiness for when he gets baths. I also changed my laundry detergent and dryer sheets to free and clear of all dyes and scents to prevent any irritation.

About a month ago, Milo got groomed and developed a relatively large skin infection on his neck. It cleared up within a week after getting antibiotics. The vet did not know what caused the infection. Milo got blood drawn at his 6 month comprehensive checkup and the next day he had the same skin infection on his neck around where they drew his blood. It seems like whenever there is a break in his skin, he develops an infection.

I am just wondering about any ways to prevent this? I do not want to continue putting him on antibiotics. I have even been trying to give him sugar free Greek yogurt to try to enhance the amount of probiotics in his system. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2018, 07:22 AM
Hello and welcome to Dogsey! This sounds to me like a diet-related issue. It is a sad fact that vets receive very little training at Veterinary School about diet and nutrition and it is probably one of the most important issues especially with dogs, as they are primarily carnivores and not designed to eat a lot of carbohydrate such as that found in most kibble.

I would research raw feeding for Milo ... This strongly suggests to me an intolerance to commercial dog food, and you need to look at what is the most natural diet for a carnivore - which is of course meat. There is a lot more to raw feeding than just feeding meat. There is an awful lot of information out there on the internet, and it is important to do your research but try it for a month and see if Milo improves. The most important thing to remember is if it doesn't help, then there is no harm done. Your vet may well try and put you off raw feeding, although some are more enlightened these days, but just bear in mind during their training they only attend one or two lectures on canine feeding!

Good luck with your researches.
Forgotten
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-02-2018, 08:19 PM
The above post by "Gnasher" has saved me a lot of writing, I could not say any more.
I would suggest that if you did consider changing to a raw diet, that you purchase a fantastic little book all about our dogs and raw feeding. "Honey's Natural Feeding Handbook for Dogs". This is a very easy book to read and understand and can be purchased on Amazon for as little as 1p (used book) but always in fantastic condition.
As suggested above, give it a try, if you get no improvement, at least it will have done no harm. Good luck.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2018, 08:32 PM
The Honey's Handbook is available as a free download from their Honey's Real Dog Food website, http://bit.ly/HoneysBook
Forgotten
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2018, 07:38 AM
If you register with the "Honeys" website and request a FREE book, you will receive your "FREE" book! You will not be expected to make any other purchases and you will not be pestered to purchase any products from them.