29-11-2013, 11:04 PM

Opinions on Beagles?

What's good about them?
What's bad about them?!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2013, 09:57 AM
I've only known four well but they were really happy dogs, all were child friendly, and they all lived with cats. Three of them lived together, one was a very small mature ex pack dog, he had absolutely no interested in hunting any more and was a lovely old boy. Still capable of going on good long walks.
The other was show stock, much bigger and stockier and very handsome, and the other was 'pet' bred beagle, smaller but just as happy. Those two had really strong hunting instinct and although their owners did lots and lots of training with them they would still only ever let them off in more out of the way places...and the dogs would still occasionally go AWOL for 30-an hour and eventually meet them back at the car.
All four of them were noisy but I think it's a nice soft bark/bay.

I really wanted a beagle but we got Tonks, our staffie instead, now I wouldn't want to get another dog that would encourage her to chase things even more that she wants to already...so we got a Bull Lurhcer, lol, ....with absolutely no prey drive at all.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2013, 10:28 AM
I grew up with a beagle (long time ago now!) and I remember him being very friendly with dogs and people. However, he was so voracious, he would eat anything he could get hold of from cakes cooling on the table to the fur collar on one of mum's friend's coats (told you it was a long time ago!). He also needed a lot of exercise. I was too young to know about training. He lived until he was 17.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2013, 10:59 AM
I've only known one Beagle well. Lovely dog. Belonged to neighbours of mine in Newlyn - they used to leave him with me when they had to go out anywhere.

This was necessary because if left on his own for even five minutes he just ATE THE HOUSE. Honestly, he ate not just the furniture and shoes etc., but window frames and door frames - wrecked the place.

No idea if this is a breed trait lol! But it is a true story!
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2013, 04:51 PM
A friend of mine referred to them as "A nose on legs" I think that is a very good way to sum them up.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Friend of ours has two, beautiful dogs well mannered and friendly with everyone and everything only one problem you can never tire them out so she is constantly walking LOL Keeps her fit though !
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2013, 11:29 PM
I have known a couple of Beagles, and they were delightfully friendly and affable, HOWEVER - no matter how much exercise they had they always wanted more, and one of them took every opportunity to set off cross country resulting in hours and hours of constant searching to get him back.

They really do need endless exercise, both mentally and physically.
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2013, 02:09 PM
I've had Beagles for 10 yrs and wouldn't be without them They are very happy little Hounds,compact in size,very amiable with humans and canines alike and should be of good even temperament,Being a pack hound they adore company and don't do well left on their own for long periods of time,mine like to be involved in most things i do around the house (we call it 'Beagle helping' l ) A bored Beagle is usually a mischeivious one,They need mental as well as physical stimulation ie learning tricks,puzzle toys etc.With regards to exercise mine are happy to 'go all day' but are just as content to lay on the sofa with me (although they do need a daily walk,scents,smells mooching around and having a good sniff outside are all things which help to keep them mentally stimulated as its what they were bred to do) Mine are all great off lead but i do use common sense and caution as to where i let let them off,if i'm in a place where there are lots of wildlife rabbits,foxes etc its a big no no.They will go deaf and follow the scent.I always start off with a long line and practice recall with lots of treats and gradually build to letting them off.Food is generally their weak spot and unless a scent is particually apppealing mine will come back when called for a snack ! I never let them mooch off too far though.Consistancy is the key with training them,i've heard people say they are hard to train which i don't feel is true at all,they are rather clever,pick things up quickly but it has to be 'worth their while' They can be prone to naughtiness...behave well for weeks or months and them do something completely outrageous out of the blue...all part of their charm !They are good eaters as a rule but can be greedy,they really are 'foodies'.Most of all they are great company and very loving.As with all dogs they are a big commitment and need time and training to become a sociable well adjusted member of your family