Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jayneybabe15
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-11-2013, 10:49 AM

Labradors eat more?

i have a lab and i just wondered why they seem to be always hungry...she would eat and eat if i let her but i dont know why?i have to be extra vigilant when i let her off her lead in case she eats something she shouldnt,anyone shed any light on this please
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Labradors are naturally greedy dogs but Amber is more fussy than the ones I have had before. She will not eat everything. I can leave food in a dish all day and she will only touch it if she is really hungry. All my previous Labs polished anything off once it was put down for them so why Amber is different I do not know. Good luck with yours.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

25-11-2013, 11:56 AM
It's in the genes But rather than worry about it, be glad as many breeds are very picky, we had two Newfies (Only one now) and they are devils to get started on eating, you almost have to dangle a few bits in front of them before they start and trying to get tablets into them is a joke. Our one remaining Newfie will sniff out the tablet inside a bit sausage which in turn is inside a rolled up slice of cooked and warm bacon, she might take it but will immediatelt drop it.

It seems like you understand that they must not be overfed which with a Lab is easy to do but your biggest problem will be them going to neighbours to get something. All neighbours and friends must be told to strictly avoid giving them anything.

When we had a lovely Labrador many years ago this was the biggest problem as she would get out, cross the road, to get to the shop where the owner was always giving her something.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Depends on the individual. My three are foody, but a walk or training is more exciting than food any day of the week. There are fussy Labs and those who are picky about their food, just as there are other food obsessed dogs, not just Labs. It's a myth, a bit like the nutty chocolate Lab myth
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

25-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
just as there are other food obsessed dogs, not just Labs.
Yes of course all dogs are different, it really shows when you have more than one dog that the same sex, age, breed, home and they can be a different as two humans can be. Still having said that my everlasting memory of our dear Lab of many years ago was opening a tin of dog food (No highly developed granules available then) emptying it into her bowl, and putting it down for her, and quite literally by the time I had washed my hands and chucked the tin in the bin she had finished and was looking at me saying "What's for afters Dad"
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Yes of course all dogs are different, it really shows when you have more than one dog that the same sex, age, breed, home and they can be a different as two humans can be. Still having said that my everlasting memory of our dear Lab of many years ago was opening a tin of dog food (No highly developed granules available then) emptying it into her bowl, and putting it down for her, and quite literally by the time I had washed my hands and chucked the tin in the bin she had finished and was looking at me saying "What's for afters Dad"
My three are closely related, two half sisters and a daughter from one of them and they very much enjoy their food, but then they are raw fed. But even Tau, who is becoming more and more food obsessed as she gets older, would bypass the food bowl if I had a lead in my hand.

All of them watch me with my meals as I often save them each a *treat* and it's the flatcoat who is the most foody when it comes to left overs and what I refer to as junk food, ie anything that's not normally part of their raw diet.

Last night it was left over bits of rib eye steak, they all sit in a line and each one gets a bit but they know it's in order of their *age*, well, they don't know it's by age but they all get a piece in the same order every time
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Some times I wish I had a lab like my MIL used to have, watching Mollie pick through her food deciding what to eat first putting bits aside for later, or Betty dancing up to her bowl taking a biscuit and running off to play before returning to have another for half an hour or so does get a little wearing some days.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Some times I wish I had a lab like my MIL used to have, watching Mollie pick through her food deciding what to eat first putting bits aside for later, or Betty dancing up to her bowl taking a biscuit and running off to play before returning to have another for half an hour or so does get a little wearing some days.
Know what you mean! Have often thought back to my GSD days - they'd eat anything they could get in their mouths! I used to say they'd eat the packaging too! Didn't touch the sides! From that to a CKCS who did what you describe - take each bit of food as far away as she could get before eating it and returning for another! I was told that, as the smallest of the litter and them all being fed from one trough it was probly coz she had to take her chances grab a bit and run! She never got over it whatever the cause.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Know what you mean! Have often thought back to my GSD days - they'd eat anything they could get in their mouths! I used to say they'd eat the packaging too! Didn't touch the sides! From that to a CKCS who did what you describe - take each bit of food as far away as she could get before eating it and returning for another! I was told that, as the smallest of the litter and them all being fed from one trough it was probly coz she had to take her chances grab a bit and run! She never got over it whatever the cause.
Oh that makes sense we just thought she had the attention span of a gnat but what you say is more likely !
labgirl
New Member!
Female 

02-12-2013, 08:04 AM
ive been lucky my golden lab is quite a picky eater but shes 31 days pregnant and im having to hand feed her to get her to eat, she wont eat out of her bowl. even as a pup she was never greedy im lucky in some ways i suppose
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >