View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Since half your cross breed is a Labrador, and I know cockers well, well, the working variety, here you go.

I've planned and bred one litter of of Labradors. Out of the litter, the pups were guaranteed never to develop PRA, CNM or EIC, both parents have been tested, the bitch twice, for their BVA eye cert, the sire more times, both clear. My bitch has 0/0 hips, 0 elbows, the sire has (I think) 3/4 hips and 0 elbows.

Looking at both pedigrees, there haven't been, that I could see any incidences of epilepsy, or high incidences of cancer, I did look, but there is only so much research you can do.

So, what health tests would apply to your cockador? What health tests do the parents have, and what health aspects did the breeder understand about conformation, and how that might affect health?

I'm not knocking your dog, none of them choose to come into the world, *we* choose to breed them, but many cross breeds have little or no thought put into their breeding. And yet it's the pedigrees, where *some* breeders put an awful lot of thought and planning into breeding, that seem to get criticised by Joe Public.
Kitkat_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
I won't put it in print but what would you call a Bull Dog cross Shih-Tzu
A "Sh*t Dog" Billy is a Staffit, or when he farts he could be a Whiffy :P
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I don't mind what anyone calls them and some are undeniably cute but some unfortunate dogs look deformed and have health issues. I object to two random dogs being mated with no regards as to the health of the offspring and just for monetary gain. It's all well and good claiming cross breeds are healthier but how can you possibly know that when neither parent has had any health tests carried out. It's just a lottery and they are gambling with puppies lives to line their own pockets. If they really cared about the outcome of breeding their dogs they'd carry out all the necessary health tests and track down a health tested stud not just mate their two dogs together or use their friends/ neighbours dog.
Hear Hear !!

Its just a marketing ploy with no regard to health issues in either breed. Just because they are crosses doesnt mean they dont have hereditary defects - even mongrels get ill and have to go to the vets and have inherited diseases. There is no other reason to breed one of these crosses and that is to make money. They dont necessarily breed true in the first generation so how can they breed on to next generation therefore they will never be a 'breed'.

I would never sell one of my quality pedigree puppies to someone who wants it to be crossed with a poodle so all dogs used for this crossing purpose must surely be sub standard in some way.

I spend months studying pedigrees and looking at health & temperament issues before I carefully choose a stud dog for one of my bitches so how can it be right to irresponsibly buy in one of each and hope for the best.

This is just a big con....
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-11-2013, 07:28 PM
A while back, my husband didn't know what a labradoodle (Lab x Poodle as we call them) looked like so I said I'd point one out when I next saw one.

When I eventually saw one and said 'there you go, that's a Labrador x Poodle' the owner very defensively informed me that her dog most certainly is not a Lab x, she's a Labradoodle, and that I must know nothing about dogs and that's why we had a mongrel (Bentley, our JRT) :rolls:

My husband just burst into laughter and had to walk away. I couldn't speak.....which for me is pretty impressive
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

28-11-2013, 09:04 AM
I have two cross breeds and were both were the result of accidental matings.

Skye is a Deerhound x Old English Sheepdog and Breagh is a Labrador x Pointer

I guess I could call Skye a Lurcher even though he's not typical of the 'breed' however I just call them cross breeds or name the mixes.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Tessabelle View Post
A while back, my husband didn't know what a labradoodle (Lab x Poodle as we call them) looked like so I said I'd point one out when I next saw one.

When I eventually saw one and said 'there you go, that's a Labrador x Poodle' the owner very defensively informed me that her dog most certainly is not a Lab x, she's a Labradoodle, and that I must know nothing about dogs and that's why we had a mongrel (Bentley, our JRT) :rolls:

My husband just burst into laughter and had to walk away. I couldn't speak.....which for me is pretty impressive

I don't think I've ever managed to be so impressive as to keep my mouth shut! Well done!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I have two cross breeds and were both were the result of accidental matings.

Skye is a Deerhound x Old English Sheepdog and Breagh is a Labrador x Pointer

I guess I could call Skye a Lurcher even though he's not typical of the 'breed' however I just call them cross breeds or name the mixes.
Oh that's what I'd do too. Because I'd feel a bit stupid telling people my dog was something like one of those 'funny' names!

Methinks it matters not what anyone here thinks of this cross breeding - it isn't going to stop people doing it because there isn't a law against it. And if it's something people can make money out of - even less likely it will stop or that most of those who do it will carry out anything other than what they 'have' to do before selling them. (Otherwise they make less money).

Leaving any sort of 'industry' to police itself has never worked.
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-11-2013, 09:43 AM
We meet a " Labradoodle " frequently and I could make you wet your pants with some of the stories about him, let's just say Fenton looks like a saint compared to him.......

But, as his owner frequently tells me he's from top show Labradoodle lines dontcha know .....
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by Anniebee View Post
We meet a " Labradoodle " frequently and I could make you wet your pants with some of the stories about him, let's just say Fenton looks like a saint compared to him.......

But, as his owner frequently tells me he's from top show Labradoodle lines dontcha know .....
LOL! More of a TOSHADOODLE then?
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-11-2013, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
LOL! More of a TOSHADOODLE then?
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >