View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2013, 02:49 PM
I think Butler would be quite an apt title to replace 'owner' in a lot of cases.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I think Butler would be quite an apt title to replace 'owner' in a lot of cases.

No more like ladies maid LOL
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2013, 03:01 PM
A dog cannot be described as a person. We are different species.

However, the exploration of emotion, anticipation and the extent of feelings is something that I would hope will benefit dogs. The more we come to realise that dogs think and feel, the better they will be treated (hopefully).

I like the term 'guardian' as I do feel that it is an apt description. We look after, guide and love. Isn't that just what a guardian does?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
A dog cannot be described as a person. We are different species.

However, the exploration of emotion, anticipation and the extent of feelings is something that I would hope will benefit dogs. The more we come to realise that dogs think and feel, the better they will be treated (hopefully).

I like the term 'guardian' as I do feel that it is an apt description. We look after, guide and love. Isn't that just what a guardian does?
Yes and you could say much the same about some dogs. Guide dogs for the blind for instance.

Julie
'Lady's Maid' very good but I'd have to start thinking of Bella as a laydee first! My last dog was a laydee - Bella is more of a Tyrant!
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Glad to say that dogs are dogs and they are not people .
Much nicer in my opinion
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
Much nicer in my opinion
It's a good job dogs aren't people otherwise I wouldn't have most of them in my house .
Azz
Administrator
Male 

31-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Me too - that's what we are imo.

Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
Much nicer in my opinion
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
It's a good job dogs aren't people otherwise I wouldn't have most of them in my house .
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Dogs are not human in the same way horses aren't apes. I've never said I 'own' two dogs, and have always thought of myself as a guardian to them.

I do believe that dogs are incredibly clever creatures as are pigs, apes, elephants, cats and now sheep and all show emotion. No doubt there are many more species too that are incredibly intelligent. Dogs have adapted to fit in to our lives. If this article were to enlighten more people as to how dog's brains work, that can only be a good thing.

Nothing very new in that article although was interesting. I'm sure any dog having an MRI would have been sedated.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2013, 03:59 PM
I suppose 'I've got a dog' is my most usual way of expressing it but - should anyone try to STEAL my dog - I'd be shouting from the rooftops that I OWN HER!

I too assumed any animal requiring a brain scan would need sedating. Quite how that would affect 'reading brain activity' though - I haven't a clue. Although this stuff might be interesting I always hope not too much 'public purse' money in the way of 'grants' is being spent on it!

Perhaps better spent scanning the brains of people who abuse dogs and other animals to find out what causes them to do it?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >