View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2013, 04:45 PM
I am so happy for you and especially happy for Ella. I ope the move goes smoothly.

When I took my dog from rescue kennels someone said that that I should have kept him on a lead for the first couple of days and lead him from room to room with me whenever i leave the room he does too. The suggestion was this keeps them calm. It might work.

Mind you the same kennels told me to squirt cold water in his face when he looked at cats or chickens and to tug at him with all my strength when he pulled on the his lead! AND to fill a plastic bottle with pebbles and throw this at him!

Thankfully I discarded all their advice.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
I am so happy for you and especially happy for Ella. I ope the move goes smoothly.

When I took my dog from rescue kennels someone said that that I should have kept him on a lead for the first couple of days and lead him from room to room with me whenever i leave the room he does too. The suggestion was this keeps them calm. It might work.

Mind you the same kennels told me to squirt cold water in his face when he looked at cats or chickens and to tug at him with all my strength when he pulled on the his lead! AND to fill a plastic bottle with pebbles and throw this at him!

Thankfully I discarded all their advice.
Thanks!

Err yes, doesn't sound like they have the best ideas Where did you get him from? Sounds like truly awful advice..
And also there aren't that many rooms in our flat! lol.
I'd rather she is ok on her own and doesn't follow me everywhere, as she does with her current owner. I've got a week off so got time to get her used to the place and also make sure she gets used to being here on her own.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Phew what a week.
We moved all weekend, I thought it was never going to end (and it’s not finished yet) but most of it is in the flat, we have furniture and stuff to cook it and we have a doggie!
Ella’s been settling ok. It didn’t really go to plan because I would have wanted the flat to be ready on Sunday afternoon, but we got a new load of our stuff in the afternoon so when we went to get her, it looked as if a bomb had exploded.
I’m absolutely knackered and yesterday was close to desperation. I guess I’ve been quite spoilt with my dogs. I had all of them as puppies, so they were well adapted to my life and knew what I wanted from them. Ella, so far, has pretty much had liberty to do as she likes. So moving in with us is a massive change for her. Suddenly she’s not allowed on the sofa, can’t sleep in the bed with us, has set meal times instead of having food available all day etc. So it’s fair to say she’s confused, but doing ok. I think from the stress she got an upset tummy and Monday night she woke me up at 2am, I went out with her but she only did a wee. In the morning there were 7(!!!) poops in our bedroom and she had diarrhea and didn’t want to eat anything all day. I finally got her to eat some rice in the evening and last night she slept fine with no accidents.
This morning she even let me sleep in until 10am (but I did go out with her at 7am).
I’ve started training her a bit more and she understands very quickly what to do but has absolutely no concentration. She’s all over the place being distracted easily. And if she doesn’t get the treat immediately she’ll just run off and amuse herself with something else. At the moment I’m not sure if that’s her character or if she’s just not got the ability to concentrate for longer because she never needed to. I’m looking to slowly increase training and see how it goes.
Right now she’s curled up in her bed next to the sofa, seemingly fast asleep
With all the trouble she’s brought so far I’m still really happy I’ve got her!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2