Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kimberleythomas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2013, 11:30 AM

Cost of dogs

I was just wondering how much people would be prepared to pay for a dog. I have seen dogs going for free which I dont agree with who knows who's hand they could fall into. All the way up to over £800 wow which I think is way too much.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2013, 11:52 AM
It would depend on the dog, I doubt I would pay way over the going rate for the breed.

I recently contacted someone who was advertising a Siberian Husky free to good home and asked her to contact the breeder or the Siberian Rescue, I dread to think what could happen to that poor dog.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2013, 12:03 PM
To some extent this will depend on what people can AFFORD if they have their heart set on a breed that might be expensive.

What people should give more thought to is the ONGOING COSTS of owning a dog. Even if you pay more than £800 (and I think lots do) you can easily spend that much and more on vet fees, boarding, feeding etc. in the quite near future.

I would have loved to have more than one dog now but (apart from it not going down too well if you live in an apartment) it was not the cost of ACQUIRING the dog that stopped me - where cost is concerned it is the doubling up of the vet fees, travel and boarding that would be too much.

If you paid 800 for a dog you really wanted and the avg lifespan of the breed was around 10 yrs, it would have cost you a mere 80 a year (or less than £7 a month) to 'own' that dog. I think that works out at the least of the monthly expenses of having a dog. Especially if you are not in a position to pay for any high vet bills out of your pocket and have to take out insurance. I'm sure pet insurance costs way more than that.

So no, I don't consider the cost of buying the dog in the first place to be the biggest consideration financially. A bit like what I say about acquiring very expensive cars - no good even if someone GIVES you one if you cannot afford the running costs, tax, insurance and maintenance on it out of your budget.
kimberleythomas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2013, 12:08 PM
I have just seen someone asking £1000 for a dog I don't think I would ever pay that much unless very rich where money was no issue. The cost of keeping a dog is expensive in its self. Why do people charge so much?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by kimberleythomas View Post
I have just seen someone asking £1000 for a dog I don't think I would ever pay that much unless very rich where money was no issue. The cost of keeping a dog is expensive in its self. Why do people charge so much?
Because some people prepared to pay that amount.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2013, 12:28 PM
My favourite breed is very expensive you see dogs £1200 or even more. We paid a fraction of that £500 for Betty, she came from I guess you would say a back yard breeder, but she was a good one and vet was impressed with little Betty. Vet nurse even asked for details as she thought she was such a good pup she wanted one for her mum.

IMO Puppies are far over priced in many breeds especially when very little health testing is being done by some of them.

Really couldn't afford to spend more than we did (had to borrow some) but I think that price is not too bad considering what the breeder had spent on them.

What does worry me is cost of rescues now, I have seen old dogs 12/14 advertised for £120 in some places !! Who would be able to pay that ?
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2013, 01:55 PM
I actually payed very little for my Rosie, only £30 I could afford her only because the person I got her from only wanted money back he paid to get the pups of his cousin who he felt didn't care enough and he didnt like how they were kept. If he hadn't only asked for a small amount I would not have been able to afford a dog. Before anyone says anything I can afford to look after her, her food and I pay insurance to cover vet
fees, but I can not afford a huge amount that breeders charge for a pedigree puppy. I was also shocked when my friend got a dog from one of the local rescues to find out she paid nearly as much as a pedigree. I am a huge dog lover but am always surprised at how much you have to pay, not once you have them ( except how much vets charge) but to actually own one
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2013, 03:09 PM
My pup was free. My friend brought him for me after I did a huge favour for her. He was priced up at £500 but she knew the breeder so she said she didn't pay that for him.

I would no way been able to afford £500 up front and personally I think that is too much money to pay for a Broder Collie. A big price tag does not always guarentee a good home!
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2013, 05:35 PM
I paid 1000 euros for Fred from a registered breeder here in france, he's cost me lots more since !!!
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2013, 07:02 PM
i paid 60£ for my staffie and 150£ for my american bulldog cross but both have cost me lots since then but def pay me back in love and i wouldnt change them lol
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »