Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
so okay, I just will be outing myself having such an "designer mutt" but for sure I wont throw her away! NEVER!
and her breeder for sure made not alot money of her!
but she seemed to me being alot reasonably and responsible about her bred of "designer mutts"
and I swear, I never ever had want a pure Pekinese!
and in the shelters are enough pure breeds as well!

here you could blaim everyone!

so my username is Malpeki as I do have a Pekinese x Maltese

but if I had an Labradoodle I wouldn't have a designer mutt???

who needs at all a pedigree dog? or any of here?
still enough all over the continent
Spain, Bulgaria, Portugal, Cyprus......

then blaim all, who didn't get a dog from there
Ummmm my post stated -
as the saying goes charity begins at home - so on that note if 'people' stopped paying stupid prices for designer mutts then throwing them away as they don't drag themselves up to be Lassie or Pudsey then maybe the 'breeders' would stop breeding for profit and only the ones that cared about the recognised breeds would continue for the good of the breed and not of their bank balance

Where am I having a go at the owners of any dog that cares for them and have a friend for life ??
kita
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2013, 03:40 PM
I find this bit horrific:

" Last year, spinster Georgina Langley, 67, of West Hougham, Kent, was raided at her home by the RSPCA and had five of her 13 cats put down.

The charity prosecuted her for neglect, but Mr Smith, 62, came to her aid. After sending two of the cats’ bodies to the Royal Veterinary College (RVC) for an independent post-mortem, he said: ‘There appears to be no good reason why the RSPCA allowed these animals to be put to sleep.

‘The RVC post-mortems concluded the cats were healthy, with no signs of incorrect feeding or major problems with fleas or other illnesses.

‘They were very heavy-handed with an elderly lady and kept her standing out in her garden in the rain for hours while they searched her house."

Those cats were in a home and looked after - why were they put to sleep? Imagine what that 67 year old lady went through along with the other 8 cats. This could happen to anyone. How many people take their cats to the vet for a flea allergy? I don't - I just buy the flea treatment and treat them.

I also find it terrible that they still use guns to destroy dogs - I thought that had stopped after the case of the GSD's dragged out of a house and shot with bolt guns?

Sue
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Hi my take on this,is why hasnt the story caused more of a stir, I would have thought a lot of people would be baying for blood especially with a well known Institute,they took away Harrods royal insignia,people have nearly brought the KC to its knees,but this has gone quite unnoticed, I did send the link to Paul O'Grady,but no reply as yet. It just amazes me,that something potentialy so big has gone down like a lead balloon crystalgirl
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2013, 08:24 AM
It is a sad truth that people prefer not to see. Paul O'Grady has done a huge amount to raise awareness of canine welfare, but he knows he cannot save them all. Those of us that help with rescues, know that, we know that we are only making a small ripple on a huge pond, but to quote an advertiser on this site "every little helps". It is unresponsible owners and breeders that are the problem, in the same way that I strongly believe there is no such thing as a bad dog - just a bad owner. By bringing them into the world and/or into our homes we have a duty of care that includes appropriate training and healthcare, respponsible breeding (we don't want breeds to disappear!). It is much to a big a problem for a single person or even organisation to tackle totally, but if all of us who care about dogs do a bit, even if its only buying a raffle ticket or making a donation when selling on ebay, together we can make a bigger difference.

As I mentioned in my previous response the Blue Cross have picked up on the need to educate the public. That is the long term solution, those of us who help at rescue charities (including P O'G) know that all we are doing at the moment is fire fighting. Please don't be dissapointed that you have not had a reply from the P O'G machine, he is probably busy helping at Battersea! and gets lots of mailings like yours every day, I am sure he continues to do his bit, along with other celebrities that lend their names, money and faces to other animal charities up and down the country.

TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE A BIGGER DIFFERENCE!!!

As a child I raised money for the RSPCA I also bussed to help out at a centre as a teenager, then I found out about some of their policies. They do do some good in some areas. The destruction policy has been going on for years and years, it is not new - that is why there is not a public or celibrity outrage. Some readers feel outraged because it is new to them/you. Please turn that anger to some good. Find out about other charities and support one that you agree with any way you can!
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2013, 09:25 AM
this kind of thing does not help either !

http://www.dogworld.co.uk/product.ph...es_kc_concern_

it's unbelievable that the NFU continue to see the breeding of dogs are the same as any other kind of livestock
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
It is a sad truth that people prefer not to see. Paul O'Grady has done a huge amount to raise awareness of canine welfare, but he knows he cannot save them all. Those of us that help with rescues, know that, we know that we are only making a small ripple on a huge pond, but to quote an advertiser on this site "every little helps". It is unresponsible owners and breeders that are the problem, in the same way that I strongly believe there is no such thing as a bad dog - just a bad owner. By bringing them into the world and/or into our homes we have a duty of care that includes appropriate training and healthcare, respponsible breeding (we don't want breeds to disappear!). It is much to a big a problem for a single person or even organisation to tackle totally, but if all of us who care about dogs do a bit, even if its only buying a raffle ticket or making a donation when selling on ebay, together we can make a bigger difference.

As I mentioned in my previous response the Blue Cross have picked up on the need to educate the public. That is the long term solution, those of us who help at rescue charities (including P O'G) know that all we are doing at the moment is fire fighting. Please don't be dissapointed that you have not had a reply from the P O'G machine, he is probably busy helping at Battersea! and gets lots of mailings like yours every day, I am sure he continues to do his bit, along with other celebrities that lend their names, money and faces to other animal charities up and down the country.

As a child I raised money for the RSPCA I also bussed to help out at a centre as a teenager, then I found out about some of their policies. They do do some good in some areas. The destruction policy has been going on for years and years, it is not new - that is why there is not a public or celibrity outrage. Some readers feel outraged because it is new to them/you. Please turn that anger to some good. Find out about other charities and support one that you agree with any way you can!
Excellent post. I think most who've worked with rescues come to the same conclusion. I did. You can't save them all and you sometimes wonder if you are even making much difference when the volume of unwanted and ill treated animals is so huge.

You can do what you can - I don't work hands on with them anymore but still support those I worked with and others financially and with fund raising. And you can make sure your own animals are cared for to the best of your ability and 'spread the word'.

No animal lover likes to hear about healthy animals being put down. But just complaining about a problem rarely gets any results - unless you have some realistic alternative SOLUTION to put forward. This is one of my mantras in life - not just where animal welfare is concerned.

And I think the publicity given to the KC was about a totally different aspect - breeding - as I recall. Not about dogs being put to death in great numbers.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post

Hi I have always supported animal charities not one particular one,As I was a chartered Accountant,offer my services for free to help charities get the best out of any monies recvd,RSPCa I did give them an idea on running a lottery,a lot of other charities are doing this on there website,but there is a cost to setting one up a Gaming Licence,have written to the assembley to try and see if charities could be made exempt,under the present law,they are exempted from producing Accounts, I know I cant physically help,although if there is an urgent call,I will go and do my best,or standing for hours giving out leaflets to ferry passenger going to the Republic of Ireland or coming back.All these things are very small compared to hands on,or actually working for a rescue.They are the ones that make the differance,and it is there morale,when a big institute like RSPCA doesn't play the game and break the rules, it could make them think twice,why should we bother,would be a question that will be asked undoing all the good work crystalgirl
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
In the defense of the RSPCA: this was a daily mail article. So much of it is written in a biased way to shock and get as many readers as possible (to get profit, as it is in this world).

I agree it's horrible that a lot of dogs are put to sleep, it's even worse that they do so if the dogs are healthy. BUT: In my honest opinion... I think sometimes it's better than having a dog live in a kennel for months and sometimes years. Some dogs can't deal with that, so they are put to sleep for no MEDICAL reasons, but for psychological ones. Same with the cats, a post mortem exam might not have revealed any medical reasons to put the cats to sleep, but they might have been almost feral and it might have been that they wouldn't have been suitable for rehoming. So instead of keeping them in a cage (which kennels are, at the end of the day) forever, they were put to sleep.

Also, the article makes it out that it's a BAD thing the RSPCA prosecutes more people for animal cruelty. How can that be a bad thing??? IT'S THE ONLY SOCIETY TO DO SO! Otherwise those people would just be getting a new dog/cat/horse which in the end would end up in a shelter again. Meaning more animals would live in terrible conditions.

So I understand that a lot of people have divided opinions about the RSPCA but at the end of the day you have to understand that the problem is bigger than what one society can handle and it's not the RSPCA's job to take responsibility for all of the thoughtless people who got a pet on a whim and then realised they can't cope/have no money/have no space/ have no bloody idea about anything.
Space and resources are limited and it's difficult to set priorities and I think they are doing a bloody good job.
In a country in the middle of a recession everybody has to pay the price for the economic crisis, perhaps apart from really wealthy people. But it's the poorest it hits hardest and among them are innocent living beings like pets. And the situation isn't nice but the problem comes from somewhere else than what this article makes it out to be and they're just trying to find a scapegoat, because that's the easiest and most profitable thing the daily mail can do in this situation.
A very good post, but just wanted to comment on the highlighted sentence.

I think that I have already written this on another thread but feel that it warrants another airing on this one! A gentleman up the road went to the local RSPCA kennels looking for a dog after his last dear soul died........he found one that was just the ticket, and the dog seemed to like him too. It was fairly young and in glowing good health. The chap signed the necessary forms and was told that he would hear when he could collect the dog over the next day or two. He heard nothing. After five days he went back to the kennels to see what was going on, having got everything ready for the new arrival...........only to find that not only "his" dog was missing, but many of the others that had been there too. It turned out that the dog had been put to sleep the day after this chap agreed to adopt it because it's allotted week was up; the same went for the other dogs. He was disgusted and livid and will never deal with, or support, the RSPCA ever again.

This incident merely reinforced my own very low opinion of them.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Going back nearly 40 years, I went to the RSPCA for a kitten - paid them £2 and signed that I would have her [I specifically wanted a female] spayed when old enough. They told me she, and the other kittens with her, were eight weeks old and fully weaned.

I brought her home and she could not eat, so phoned my vet - who was a family friend - he came straight round and said she was four weeks old maximum. He gave me some milk substitute and loads of help and instructions, and she was still going strong when I left England and the people who moved into out house adopted her. She did not care who fed her as that was her home.

But the RSPCA had told me she was eight weeks old when according to my vet she was not.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
A very good post, but just wanted to comment on the highlighted sentence.

I think that I have already written this on another thread but feel that it warrants another airing on this one! A gentleman up the road went to the local RSPCA kennels looking for a dog after his last dear soul died........he found one that was just the ticket, and the dog seemed to like him too. It was fairly young and in glowing good health. The chap signed the necessary forms and was told that he would hear when he could collect the dog over the next day or two. He heard nothing. After five days he went back to the kennels to see what was going on, having got everything ready for the new arrival...........only to find that not only "his" dog was missing, but many of the others that had been there too. It turned out that the dog had been put to sleep the day after this chap agreed to adopt it because it's allotted week was up; the same went for the other dogs. He was disgusted and livid and will never deal with, or support, the RSPCA ever again.

This incident merely reinforced my own very low opinion of them.
Hi If I was in the position of any society who are there to help and be a safety net for people who for whatever reason cannot keep there pets,I would think twice about sending my pet to a society. In the States at least they state whether they have a kill policy or not,but I feel that here in the UK,the society who state that they prevent the cruelty of all animals, in that statement they are telling people that they do not put animals to sleep . Why can'tthey have a list of foster parents who will look after an animal for a specific period until they can find a forever home,this would take the pressure of the society
crystalgirl
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >