Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2013, 04:09 PM

The Shocking Truth

Hi I know a lot of the people on this forum,have a dim view of the R.S.P.C.A, but I was always proud that the UK had a caring policy regarding our pets,not like other Europe Countries,but to read this,has really shocked me.Again it may me media hype.

I know that most Animal charities are finding it hard to keep there heads above water,and the shelters are full,with a waiting list.

If a charity is in that much trouble,why cant they find some way of easing their burden, in a caring way,finding foster homes or sending a mail shot to all breeders explaining that they are at crisis point,and maybe breeders may cut down there litters, because if it has come down to this someone has to stand up to the plate,and take action.

We are a large forum and have a deep love for dogs,could we maybe run a petition,and get it sent to the minister who looks after Animal Welfare,there must be something,some suggestion.This has really upset me as it is not the dogs fault only an uncaring group of people

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...y-healthy.html crystalgirl
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2013, 04:23 PM
This will come as no surprise to most members of the forum. In fact I posted a link to the same info in response on the thread about the blind lady in the US who insisted that her dog be PTS and buried with her when someone said 'it couldn't happen here'. Turns out they were speaking about Germany but it certainly happens in the UK.

And happens here in the Republic of Cyprus too (but not in the North).

What is the palatable (and achievable) alternative when there are more dogs eligible to go into rescues and shelters than there are spaces for them or people to offer homes for them?

A policy of never euthanising a healthy animal just results in the establishments not being able to take in any more and having to turn them away. Especially in countries like Cyprus here where there are very few sanctuaries and rescues and a hell of a lot more unwanted animals.
Jessiesdad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-04-2013, 05:00 PM
This has been known about for a while.

The thing with breeders is that they won't cut down on litters because to them it's all and only about MONEY!!!!

I don't know what the answer is but as long as there are greedy grasping breeders out there able to operate with impunity you won't stop it.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Jessiesdad View Post

The thing with breeders is that they won't cut down on litters because to them it's all and only about MONEY!!!!

I don't know what the answer is but as long as there are greedy grasping breeders out there able to operate with impunity you won't stop it.
Exactly. And if there were any 'good answer' I am sure the wealth of animal lovers, volunteers and activists in the UK would have come up with one by now.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Unfortunatley the breeders are fulfilling a need - as the saying goes charity begins at home - so on that note if 'people' stopped paying stupid prices for designer mutts then throwing them away as they don't drag themselves up to be Lassie or Pudsey then maybe the 'breeders' would stop breeding for profit and only the ones that cared about the recognised breeds would continue for the good of the breed and of their bank balance

IMO the likes of the RSPCA instead of grabbing headlines should be out there in schools educating the next generation
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2013, 10:15 PM
Hey Crystalgirl, that is really a shocking and very sad story

and even if they had to, if it were been neccessary, a "must"... whatever

over here, it were got a real scandal!
as by law, it is not allowed to kill any animals (vertebrates at all) without to stun them before
so just to shoot them, would be totally against the law

pity that you might can't read that?

-> http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/ti...2BJNG000303377

that's our "Tierschutzgesetz" ~ The German law for animal protection and there it is in black and white!

but just scroll down (oh and up, as I just checkt what comes up at clicking at there ), you will see, there's a lot written down
and that's still not all

but I already love the first §
what says (my translation )

"the purpose of that law is, that out of the responsibility of the human, for the animal as a fellow creature, they have to protect its life and wellbeing.
Nobody without any reasonably reason may hurt them, to do harm to them or inflict pain on them"

something like that

that also incudes E-collars or cropping / docking for example

this for example is only an abstract<-??? of that law, especially for dogs

http://www.tsv-tierhilfestade.de/ind...d=65&Itemid=38

all down to point 2, that's for cats then
but that's still not all

is your animal welfare act in UK also so detailed?
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
Unfortunatley the breeders are fulfilling a need - as the saying goes charity begins at home - so on that note if 'people' stopped paying stupid prices for designer mutts then throwing them away as they don't drag themselves up to be Lassie or Pudsey then maybe the 'breeders' would stop breeding for profit and only the ones that cared about the recognised breeds would continue for the good of the breed and of their bank balance

IMO the likes of the RSPCA instead of grabbing headlines should be out there in schools educating the next generation
so okay, I just will be outing myself having such an "designer mutt" but for sure I wont throw her away! NEVER!
and her breeder for sure made not alot money of her!
but she seemed to me being alot reasonably and responsible about her bred of "designer mutts"
and I swear, I never ever had want a pure Pekinese!
and in the shelters are enough pure breeds as well!

here you could blaim everyone!

so my username is Malpeki as I do have a Pekinese x Maltese

but if I had an Labradoodle I wouldn't have a designer mutt???

who needs at all a pedigree dog? or any of here?
still enough all over the continent
Spain, Bulgaria, Portugal, Cyprus......

then blaim all, who didn't get a dog from there
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2013, 10:56 PM
The fact they put many healthy animals to sleep sadly doesn't surprise me. What shocked and upset me is that they actually use guns
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-04-2013, 11:01 PM
It is very sad and disheartening and it happens in many places. They claim there are too many unwanted animals, and that part is true, but there are so many rescues, at least where I am from. Many times long distance transport are organized and volunteers help with helping dogs move someplace that can take them in. It is unfortunate that these small rescues have to come up with ways to raise funds to help the animals and struggle and organizations like the SPCA don't have to worry about that aspect and still euthanize perfectly healthy animals.

There are so many rescues battling with the SPCA to allow them to pull animals and there are plenty of cases where they refuse to work with rescues.
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2013, 05:48 AM
Originally Posted by Jessiesdad View Post

I am a breeder and frankly find this kind of sweeping statement incredibly insulting ! ....I'll tell you what the REAL problem is ....it's the feckless puppy buyers who buy on impulse , who buy without any kind of reserach, who buy because it's the latest fashion, who go for the cheap closest , no questions asked option ....and continue to support puppy farmers and BYB's despite all the information out there about how to do it right .

We have many excellent breeders who health test their dogs and issue contracts undertaking to take back anything they've bred thus not adding to the rescue situation ...yet time and again Jo Public goes for the unethical option ....in my own breed ( BSD ) there are Malinois selling on generic puppy sale sites for as little as £250 no questions asked and of course no support or health tests results given .....a complete disaster when the owner loses interest or finds they have bitten off more than they can chew .....these are the dogs that come into to rescue .

If everyone bought via the breed clubs recommendation or the KC's Assured Breeder Scheme then the numbers in rescue would be decimated ....it's down to you STOP supporting unethical and irresponsible breeders and search out the good ones out there ...we are not all the same ......good breeders are part of the solution not part of the problem.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >