Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-12-2012, 01:09 AM

Dogsey Charity Calendar - charity nominations please

Hi Guys,

As many of you know we have been organising a charity calendar - which will be going to print this week

We would be grateful if you could nominate your favourite dog related charities in this thread we will then compile a list and start a poll where you'll all get to vote.

Feel free to nominate up to 5 charities (in separate posts if possible).

You don't have to have purchased a calendar to nominate or vote - so please don't worry if you haven't bought one

When nominating, please include:
  • Name of charity
  • Location/country
  • Description/what they do
  • Your reason for the nomination

Thanks!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-12-2012, 01:38 AM
Ok I'll start with my first nomination as it can act as an example too

Name of charity
Rescue Remedies

Location/country
UK

Description/what they do
Rescue Remedies are a UK based dog rescue who have been rescuing dogs since 2002.

Your reason for the nomination
So many reasons

They don't discriminate on the basis of breed, age or health, and they're renowned for helping dogs which would have difficulty in finding homes or places in other rescues.

They have no paid staff, but despite this they are currently running at a loss - yet that hasn't stopped them helping dogs - they usually have around 60 to 70 dogs on their books.

They are also one of our biggest supporting rescues on Dogsey, and have made almost 4,000 posts in our rescue sections since their rescue account was opened. Sharon works tirelessly posting their dogs, not just on Dogsey, but lots of other sites too - to get as much exposure as she can for their dogs in need... even if it does take up all her spare time!

So I nominate Rescue Remedies because of all the above
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-12-2012, 01:39 AM
(Your nominations don't have to be that long btw - I just got a little carried away )
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Name of charity
The Hannah Foundation
http://www.hannahcaninesanctuary.org.au/

Location/country
Australia

Description/what they do
The aim of the Hannah Foundation is to provide a sanctuary for orphaned dogs whose owners have made provisions for their future care in their will. These dogs will spend the rest of their life at the sanctuary living in a home-style environment. There will be no fostering out and no rehoming.

Reason for the nomination
Shadowboxer's Hannah was a big part of Dogsey in the early days and her story was one of the most heart breaking stories I have read on Dogsey.

When Hannah was nine years old, her devoted owner unexpectedly died at his home. It was four days before the pair was discovered, with Hannah steadfastly sitting by her late owners side. Attempts to remove her from the scene by a close friend were met with much anguish-this dog was severely traumatised.
JamieWilson
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Name of charity
Retired Greyhound Trust

Location/country
UK

Description/what they
Find homes for ex racing Greyhounds nationwide.

They do a fantastic job in rehoming a loving caring breed of do that man has took advantage of for his own greed and pleasure.
Run by caring and motivated volunteers, it is a fantastic charity that needs as much help as possible.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Name of charity
Oldies Club

Location/country
UK

Description/what they do
Rescue and rehome dogs over 7 years of age as well as advertising countless others in rescues all over the country on their website.

They do a fantastic job of taking in and fostering oldies, some of which they end up fostering for life due to medical problems. On top of that though they have a team of volunteers who are constantly updating their website with information from other rescues across the country with all dogs being oldies. They have helped to bring old dogs in to the fore and by allowing other rescues to use their site they have helped not only the dogs in their care but many others nationwide who may not have found a home otherwise.
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrekin View Post
Name of charity
Oldies Club

Location/country
UK

Description/what they do
Rescue and rehome dogs over 7 years of age as well as advertising countless others in rescues all over the country on their website.

They do a fantastic job of taking in and fostering oldies, some of which they end up fostering for life due to medical problems. On top of that though they have a team of volunteers who are constantly updating their website with information from other rescues across the country with all dogs being oldies. They have helped to bring old dogs in to the fore and by allowing other rescues to use their site they have helped not only the dogs in their care but many others nationwide who may not have found a home otherwise.

I second this, as I was going to nominate them.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by coventrycatfish View Post
I second this, as I was going to nominate them.
Me too, got to look after the oldies ..
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Me too, got to look after the oldies ..
Feel free to expand on the description if you guys think I missed anything?
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Name of charity
Hounds for Heroes

Location/country

UK

Description/what they do
They provide specially trained assistance dogs to injured and disabled men and women of both the UK Armed Forces and Civilian Emergency Services.

Most obviously, my military connection, but also because I think it's a great charity and deserved a nomination
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >