View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 11:19 AM
I think I might be the folding over the radiators... I'd definitely get an airer and set it near the radiators. The air will circulate through the clothes better. Lakeland have a heated airer if you have a few spare pennies
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 11:25 AM
I wash towels, underwear and bedding on a hot wash and everything else at 30. Found if I washed everything at 30 my washing machine started to smell. I've never used vinegar or anything in my machine and it's almost 10 years old now.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
We blamed the dog for weeks for the musty smell in the kitchen after ours had been on before we realised... poor Layton - gets the blame for everything! (although he's useful for blaming bottom burps on )
Poor Layton! Dogs are so useful for blaming unwanted smells on

Originally Posted by peedie View Post
I think I might be the folding over the radiators... I'd definitely get an airer and set it near the radiators. The air will circulate through the clothes better. Lakeland have a heated airer if you have a few spare pennies
I think it might be a combo of a gross washing machine and folding the clothes over the radiator! Money's a bit tight at the moment but I think my mum might have a clothes horse she doesn't use so I'll see if I can nick that off her until I get some spare money
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I wash towels, underwear and bedding on a hot wash and everything else at 30. Found if I washed everything at 30 my washing machine started to smell. I've never used vinegar or anything in my machine and it's almost 10 years old now.
I might start washing bedding on a hot wash from now on then, see if that makes a difference!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Is your water quality different?

Hard water can affect the sudsing of detergents.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 10:08 AM
I did a load of washing yesterday after cleaning the washing machine and the clothes have dried un-smelly! Thanks everyone for your advice!

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Is your water quality different?

Hard water can affect the sudsing of detergents.
I didn't think of that but come to mention it is hard water around here whereas at home it wasn't as hard. I hadn't even realised that'd have an effect!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Some laundry detergents vary the quantity to use depending on the water hardness. Have to say, we have quite hard water around here but tend to half the amount recommended and have no problems with clothes getting clean - the stuff lasts twice as long that way which saves a fortune!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-10-2011, 10:29 AM
I had a problem with musty unpleasant smelling washing recently. Not newly washed items but those which had been washed and put away particularly thicker items like towels and jumpers.

My washing machine is regularly put through a hot wash because I dye things, my washing is dried outdoors in the the fresh air. I could think of no reason for the smell.

I experimented with various washing powders and fabric softeners ,then stopped using fabric softener on towels (it is recommended you don't use it anyway, it may make them them less rough but it also prevents them being absorbent).
The smell has gone I can only assume something has recently been added to fabric softeners which under certain circumstances can make washing smell unpleasant.
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by peedie View Post
I have one of these heater airers from Lakeland and love it! It keeps upstairs just nice in the winter. We always find one of the dogs in the back room when it's on.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Was just about to post about fabric softners but mini beat me

My washer had to be tipped on its side for the 2nd time in 4 weeks yesterday to get the dog hairs out of the filter....I've had to start washing their blankets every couple of days as they seem to get really smelly really quickly & boy is my washer suffering for it

Hey ho, pleased your smelly washing is no longer smelly
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >