Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 06:10 AM

How Can I Deter Cats

Next doors cats are using my garden and driveway as a toilet, I am spending approx £40-£50 a month on deterrent stuff but if I lapse or it rains they are straight there doing it again. They have dug up my plants and my garden really smells when you go out in the mornings. They will even go on the block paving of my driveway underneath my living room window, so not like they are fussy about burying it.
I can't afford to keep this up and the cats are winning. I get on well with my neighbour but can't see how she can stop them as she can't watch them 24hrs a day.
I have tried orange peel and they just scrapped that out of the way. I have tried lemonade bottles full of water and I have tried pepper as well as all these deterrent sprays and granules.
I hate cat poo it makes me reach and gag.
Anyone any ideas please that won't harm my dogs.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 08:09 AM
I take it this is the front garden? Can you leave a dog out there for a while? Is it secure? So the scent of the dogs is there, I mean - not to eat the cats.
partypooch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-07-2011, 08:10 AM
is it only her cats, or are there others? because this sounds like middening to me, where cats use their waste as a boundary marker, which could be why you're getting it on the block paving as well.

if you've tried everything else, then what about a water pistol?
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Ok so this maybe the daftest post on dogsey this year BUT go to Colchester Zoo (or ring them) & ask if you can have some lion poo.

Apparantly cats are very scared of this & a friend of mine in Scotland had the same problem as you, she tried it, it worked.

Sprinkle it all over your garden (especially their favourite places)

Off to wait for the men in white coats to cart me away
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2011, 09:06 AM
You can buy "Zoo Poo" online. It works for some, but didn't help with my neighbours cat problem.
There's also a plant "Coleus canina" which Dogs & Cats can't stand.
I scatter Bio Washing powder in problem areas & it works for me , but I do get bubbles when it rains !
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Lift your own dogs poo, lift the cat poo & dispose & place the dog poo in exactly the same spot the cat poo was. It may take a few weeks but its very very effective

Get yourself a good water pistol or plant spray with good jet on it & every time you see a cat in your garden squirt it with water. This is also very effective.

Our cats have an outside run attached to the house & there were two cats coming to terrorise ours, i was advised on the water pistol (i used a good flower plant spray jet) route & a few well aimed jets solved the problem. They were also poohing in the garden - i object to lifting other peoples pets pooh! Plus one of our dogs is er um partial to cat poo (yuck)

So staRt collecting your own dog poo - but remember it MUST be placed exactly on place the cat toileted
Jonesy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-07-2011, 11:22 AM
dont know if this works but on a gardening programme the other day the gardener said to get old tea bags and spray with deep heat and place around the areas that the cats are using,think you have to keep re spraying them.
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2011, 11:53 AM
fish laced with arsenic? borrow a cat eating dog?

Im joking before you all plan to execute me for cruelty
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I take it this is the front garden? Can you leave a dog out there for a while? Is it secure? So the scent of the dogs is there, I mean - not to eat the cats.
Its mainly the back garden, although they have ruined one of my tubs out the front. They tend to come mainly at night or during the day when they think nobody is around.
I have rushed out there a few times calling the dogs but the dogs are not interested (great greyhounds I have ) and as soon as I open the back door the cats are gone. I don't think the cats are scared of my dogs as they don't move when we walk past them out the front of the house and they walk right past my patio doors and stop and look at the dogs laying the other side.

Originally Posted by partypooch View Post
is it only her cats, or are there others? because this sounds like middening to me, where cats use their waste as a boundary marker, which could be why you're getting it on the block paving as well.

if you've tried everything else, then what about a water pistol?
It is only my neighbours cats as far as I know as its only them I have ever seen doing it and the poo always looks the same as their poo if you know what I mean.

Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
Ok so this maybe the daftest post on dogsey this year BUT go to Colchester Zoo (or ring them) & ask if you can have some lion poo.

Apparantly cats are very scared of this & a friend of mine in Scotland had the same problem as you, she tried it, it worked.

Sprinkle it all over your garden (especially their favourite places)

Off to wait for the men in white coats to cart me away
I have actually heard that it works but i am worried if I put that on the garden my dogs would eat it.

Originally Posted by *Lorraine* View Post
You can buy "Zoo Poo" online. It works for some, but didn't help with my neighbours cat problem.
There's also a plant "Coleus canina" which Dogs & Cats can't stand.
I scatter Bio Washing powder in problem areas & it works for me , but I do get bubbles when it rains !
I have tried bio washing powder with no success. Colchester Zoo is only 20 mins from my house so I could always nip up there for poo

Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Lift your own dogs poo, lift the cat poo & dispose & place the dog poo in exactly the same spot the cat poo was. It may take a few weeks but its very very effective

Get yourself a good water pistol or plant spray with good jet on it & every time you see a cat in your garden squirt it with water. This is also very effective.

Our cats have an outside run attached to the house & there were two cats coming to terrorise ours, i was advised on the water pistol (i used a good flower plant spray jet) route & a few well aimed jets solved the problem. They were also poohing in the garden - i object to lifting other peoples pets pooh! Plus one of our dogs is er um partial to cat poo (yuck)

So staRt collecting your own dog poo - but remember it MUST be placed exactly on place the cat toileted
I will give that a try with the dog poo, although hopefully I won't have to do that forever as don't really want dog poo laying around either Lol. I have been putting the cat deterrent stuff down for 3 months now but they know as soon as its got wet and not smelling and are back pooing for England and digging up my plants.

Originally Posted by JONESY View Post
dont know if this works but on a gardening programme the other day the gardener said to get old tea bags and spray with deep heat and place around the areas that the cats are using,think you have to keep re spraying them.
I would be worried my dogs would pick up the tea bags and eat them deep heat and all. If I didn't have the dogs that sounds a good idea.