View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 07:35 AM

Who works with groups of young adults for a job?

I know I have read various people on Dogsey work with teenagers/young adults as their job If you are one of those people and would be happy to give me a few pointers either through the tthread or via opm please get in touch! I am looking for help with an interview presentation (Losos if you are reading this no its not for the interview for the job with the nightmare application - I never even heard back from them!!)
I mostly looking for information about dealing with group situations as I have my own experience in the past of working on an individual basis with 16 - 25 year olds

Thanks
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Sorry, the only time I worked with this age group they were young offenders so probably not the sort of tips you want!
This is a nice age group as a rule though. Just be yourself and listen to them. That always counts in your favour.
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 10:15 AM
C & D said it spot on - the main thing is to listen to them. What is your presentation about? I have mainly worked with Young Offenders, but have worked with other young groups. If I can help, I will
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Claire and Manyana13 that is part of the group I am looking at I have worked with ex and young offenders before on a 1 to 1 basis but not really in a group situation and I expect one of the questions I will be asked is how I will handle a disruptive group member.
It is about how to engage with and control groups of young unemployed individuals.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 04:53 PM
They should be training you to do this. Procedures change all the time, so it should be an ongoing thing.
If I were asked in a new situation what I would do to `control` disruptive elements, I would first ask why this person is being disruptive, then want to know what the guidelines are.
I would also query a trainee (is that what you would be?) being alone with a group.
I would advise you to get hold of a copy of their working practice guidelines or speak to someone who knows them.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
They should be training you to do this. Procedures change all the time, so it should be an ongoing thing.
If I were asked in a new situation what I would do to `control` disruptive elements, I would first ask why this person is being disruptive, then want to know what the guidelines are.
I would also query a trainee (is that what you would be?) being alone with a group.
I would advise you to get hold of a copy of their working practice guidelines or speak to someone who knows them.
Yup agree with this and all of the posts tbh, if a member of the group is being disruptive firstly you need to establish why?? It could be a multitude of reasons from being illiterate to lack of social skills! All students should have completed an initial assessment so that may give you some tips
Other than that just be yourself - Good Luck
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 08:07 PM
I also agree with what has been said. If you cannot get a copy of their policies/guidlines, then say that you would ensure that you would work within the organisation guidlines and follow the necessary procedures. Also, before working with a group, you would ensure that there is an appropriate risk assessment in place. Take into account your personal safety, the safety of others as well as the person kicking off for example. To do this you would need to be well briefed on individual behaviours and circumstances and group dynamics - for eg. if JOhn kicks off, will this set off James? (that sort of thing). And as has been said, work on figuring the 'why' is key. Good luck
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Hi Lynne, sorry the other job didn't come about but if they couldn't be bothered to reply then I think you've probably had a lucky escape

As for the current application, any advice I gave would be certain to get you a great big application rejection so I'm not even going to try, but others above, C&D especially, seem to have experience so it would be worth listening to them. Youngstevie sometimes seems to have a house full of recalcitrent teenagers so maybe she could help you.

If it's what you want to do then good luck with the application and once again do let us know how you get on.