Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2011, 12:31 PM

Something growing on my beef chunks.

Well, got my daf order on Monday. Even though I had totally emptied my freezer out it wouldnt all fit in. A great big bag of beef chunks had to go in my fridge and about four days supply of other meat also. A big bag of bones had to go into the shed and will probably have to go in the bin as don't know how long I can keep them un refrigerated. Anyway the main reason for this thread is what on earth is growing on the beef chunks, it looks like some kind of seeds, I have taken a photo but not sure how to stick it on here yet, but thought maybe it's a common thing, that people know about, couldn,t face feeding them to my dogs so in the bin that went. Impressed with the quantity but not too keen on the smell, funny enough it smells like meat, and did think the chicken carcasses were a bit slimy and the tripe well that just makes me heave. Also just read give your dog a bone by dr Ian billinghurst and he recommends three or four parts bone to one part of meat, think i have been doing three or four parts meats to one piece of bone and he says that even though dogs can live and survive without veg they will never be totally healthy, he says that dogs cannot live successfully on a meat only diet, perhaps I should have filled my freezer up with veg?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2011, 12:53 PM
You will find everyone who raw feeds has an opinion on what's best - just like those who feed commercial foods all have different brands they'd recommend and not touch with a bargepole. My dogs rarely get veg and they've not had a days illness in two years, bar a tummybug Casper picked up over Christmas (and have to say he bounced back a lot quicker than Kiki did with the tummybug she had pre-raw years ago - may just be the kind of bug he had though). They get occasional veg leftovers, but they get a fair amount of green tripe which is full of partially digested grass etc from whatever the animal who's stomach it is ate, so full of vitamins there. They occasionally get egg and other leftover bits, so not purely meat/bone/offal, but they're doing well on a mainly meat diet.
You'll also notice the recommended bone about varies from person to person. Mine get roughly 10% bone in their diet and do well on this. BARF style feeding tends to recommend more bone and veg than prey model type diets.

Don't know what was up with the beef, maybe ask DAF? Seems a shame to lose out by binning stuff. Btw, check Ebay etc. for freezers if you have room for another/a larger one, I got a giant chest freezer for about £30 delivered and it's served me well the last two years!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by kodimeg View Post
Well, got my daf order on Monday. Even though I had totally emptied my freezer out it wouldnt all fit in. A great big bag of beef chunks had to go in my fridge and about four days supply of other meat also. A big bag of bones had to go into the shed and will probably have to go in the bin as don't know how long I can keep them un refrigerated. Anyway the main reason for this thread is what on earth is growing on the beef chunks, it looks like some kind of seeds, I have taken a photo but not sure how to stick it on here yet, but thought maybe it's a common thing, that people know about, couldn,t face feeding them to my dogs so in the bin that went. Impressed with the quantity but not too keen on the smell, funny enough it smells like meat, and did think the chicken carcasses were a bit slimy and the tripe well that just makes me heave. Also just read give your dog a bone by dr Ian billinghurst and he recommends three or four parts bone to one part of meat, think i have been doing three or four parts meats to one piece of bone and he says that even though dogs can live and survive without veg they will never be totally healthy, he says that dogs cannot live successfully on a meat only diet, perhaps I should have filled my freezer up with veg?
Is it freezer burn? Looks like white flecks which could look like the "seeds" you describe?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Were the seed like things there when the delivery arrived? Prize choice beef chunks have seed like things but its part of meat... Not sure what exactly though
Rhustie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Were the seed like things there when the delivery arrived? Prize choice beef chunks have seed like things but its part of meat... Not sure what exactly though
I wondered this too, the white spiny parts that cover some sides of some chunks...almost like the *beef* is road-kill hedgehog or something
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Hi yes thanks for your replies, yes they were there when the delivery arrived and just seemed to grow each extra day I left them in the fridge, seemed a bit strange, but I suspect the dogs might not have minded just me worrying. Don't think it was freezer burn as it seemed to be growing. Yes it did look a bit like a White road kill hedgehog. Maybe they sent me chunks of hedgehog and not beef chunks. Not trying to be nasty to daf by the way, they seem to be a really good reliable supplier just me being spoilt by supermarket meat and thinking my freezer was bigger than what it was.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Have seen this before although it didn't grow. In my case it was beef cheek and they are part of the inner cheek
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2011, 01:02 PM
I really don't know but its the 'growing' part that would concern me!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Hi yes thanks for your replies, yes they were there when the delivery arrived and just seemed to grow each extra day I left them in the fridge, seemed a bit strange, but I suspect the dogs might not have minded just me worrying. Don't think it was freezer burn as it seemed to be growing. Yes it did look a bit like a White road kill hedgehog. Maybe they sent me chunks of hedgehog and not beef chunks. Not trying to be nasty to daf by the way, they seem to be a really good reliable supplier just me being spoilt by supermarket meat and thinking my freezer was bigger than what it was.
O right, I am with you now. I know exactly what you mean, they look like little white spines. No idea what they are, but I can't say I have noticed that they were growing!!
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Hi yes thanks for your replies, yes they were there when the delivery arrived and just seemed to grow each extra day I left them in the fridge, seemed a bit strange, but I suspect the dogs might not have minded just me worrying. Don't think it was freezer burn as it seemed to be growing.
If something is actually growing then it is alive and not just part of the meat. It may be a bacteria or fungus. It doesn't sound too healthy if it was me I would be getting in contact with the supplier about it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >