Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
I was just thinking that - in the nicest possible way of course!
My hubby knows what I am like, and tries to make allowances for me
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 08:38 AM
We did 8 last year, but this year we're not doing any (not enough time etc)
8! We were happy we only had 3 to do! lol. Freezing weather, plucking and dressing 3 turkeys outside! Shame you don't have time. We've got 5 chicks which are about 6 weeks old and have just put 31 eggs in the incubator. Bit late for them but didn't know what else to do with them.

Kirsty, what are you going to do with your cockerels, if you aren't eating them? Shame you aren't closer as I would have bought some to pair up with the leghorns we've got so we have unrelated pairs/trios.

Helen
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
8! We were happy we only had 3 to do! lol. Freezing weather, plucking and dressing 3 turkeys outside! Shame you don't have time. We've got 5 chicks which are about 6 weeks old and have just put 31 eggs in the incubator. Bit late for them but didn't know what else to do with them.

Kirsty, what are you going to do with your cockerels, if you aren't eating them? Shame you aren't closer as I would have bought some to pair up with the leghorns we've got so we have unrelated pairs/trios.

Helen
No sure yet Try to give them away possibly (to another home who won't eat them!)
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Helen
I know.... it took us an age to do 8, and the freezing weather was a hinderance, not a help.

We decided we weren't going to do them again, when it was lunchtime on Christmas Day and we were just gutting our own bird, as we'd not had the time previously to do it

It's cos we work full time.... I'd have to book a week off to deal with it all....
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
No sure yet Try to give them away possibly (to another home who won't eat them!)
That might be a tricky, depending on how many cockerels you have (how many did you end up with?). There are hundreds of free to good home cockerel adverts around. Good luck! Not sure how successful you will be though.

[quote]We decided we weren't going to do them again, when it was lunchtime on Christmas Day and we were just gutting our own bird, as we'd not had the time previously to do it
[/quote

I think that would have sickened me. Did you not fancy just having a couple just for yourselves?

While we're talking poultry - I know you are on the poultry register. Are chicks included in it? We are wondering if we should be on it with the number of chicks we have at the moment.

Helen
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 03:35 PM
I think that would have sickened me. Did you not fancy just having a couple just for yourselves?

While we're talking poultry - I know you are on the poultry register. Are chicks included in it? We are wondering if we should be on it with the number of chicks we have at the moment.
We had thought about it, but it's not worth getting just 2, buying in turkey food, having to keep them in a seperate pen/area.....

I'm only on the voluntary register (under 50 birds)... I tend to do an 'overall' view of my stock. E.g. I tend to have, on average, about 30-35 birds, except for when we are hatching... so I put down 30 birds.

If you are planning to sell/get rid of all the birds, then I wouldn't put them on it, however, if you are planning to keep a number of them, then include them.
eyescrye
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-06-2011, 04:04 PM
I dont think your weird my mother used to keep and eat chickens and one time i knew it was one of theres and i wouldnt eat it so she went and bought me one from the shop,,i was younger but i just couldnt eat it,since i have had my own chicks and didnt get a cockeral as i couldnt bear the thought of having to rehome the baby cockerels as most get killed,i no longer keep chickens as i just find it to heartbreaking.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2