Our sister sites
Our sister sites
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 12:20 PM

Learning to knit

Hi,

I'm interested in learning how to knit, My OH can show me the basics but i'm trying to work out what i need to start out...

Can any of you knitters give me an idea of what i need to buy, the needles seem to come in a zillion different sizes. I'm hoping to start off with scarves etc and build up to jumpers etc. Can anyone tell me what basic eqiupment i'll need to start out?

I've seen some lovely dog jumper designs for the winter for my hounds!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Try knitting a scarf to start with - nice and easy. I would go for either double knit wool and 4mm needles, or chunky wool and bigger needles (sorry, can't remember whether the size numbers go up or down).

Be careful though, it can be a very expensive hobby.....
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Totally agree with Vicki stick to DK and 4mm(those of us of a certain age know they are really no 8s lol) There must be a lot of books that can help, but keep it simple the hardest part I think is keeping your tension right Happy knitting
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Try knitting a scarf to start with - nice and easy. I would go for either double knit wool and 4mm needles, or chunky wool and bigger needles (sorry, can't remember whether the size numbers go up or down).

Be careful though, it can be a very expensive hobby.....
Thanks Vicki. Shhh dont tell my OH that

I think it would be nice to be able to make my nan a scarf for christmas. I'll have a look on ebay for some needles and wool and see how i get on. On the plus side if it doesnt look that great she is 83 and may not be able to make out my dropped stitches
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
Totally agree with Vicki stick to DK and 4mm(those of us of a certain age know they are really no 8s lol) There must be a lot of books that can help, but keep it simple the hardest part I think is keeping your tension right Happy knitting
I had to read that twice... DK? He he he! Double knit wool right? Lots of knitting lingo to learn

I'll keep you updated, i cant wait to start. Do you buy supplies online or at local shops? I've had a mooch around hobbycraft this morning but now i know what i want i'm going to look online.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Check around the car boot sales for cheaper wool and also I've found Wilkinsons to be the most reasonable shop-wise