Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Scooter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2010, 09:21 AM

Feeding same flavour

Hi, there, as you are probably aware from other posts we've suddnely had problems with F&W eating Skinners as it has started to give them regular upset tums. After a lot of deliberation and thinking about "going BARF" we just decided to go back to feeding them Burns. The change has been dramatic. We literally stopped Skinners one meal and started Burns the next 3 weeks ago and the runs, wind etc has all gone away. Wish we'd done it sooner.

Anyway, one of our "learned" friends told us off for always feeding our 2 the same flavour -they have always been on Lamb & Rice. She said that doing that will make them eventually intolerant to that ingredient. We fed our last dog the same flavour for 15 years without any ill effect that we are aware of. She was quite cross about it and suggested that we are actually being cruel , which isn't true - we just want the best for our dogs.

I can't find anything about this on the internet - is this a real theory? and do others agree? Can anyone point me at the info?

Any help appreciated, thanks
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Never heard of that before!

Teagan has been on the same food (Arden Grange Large Breed) for 3 years now, and as they only do it in 1 flavour....she's also been on the same flavour the whole time!
No problems here
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2010, 09:49 AM
No you are not doing anything wrong!!!! If it works for you dogs then feed it!!! I think it stems from us as we eat a variety of food then people think we should feed a variety to our dogs.
I feed raw as it suits my dogs better, but I have a springer who cant tolerate raw so he gets Butchers and buiscuit every day twice!!! He still loves it and eats it with relish!!
So, do what you think is best and feed them Burns, it is a good food anyway!!
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2010, 10:04 AM
I can't remember who, but someone said to us that if we find a flavour that suits our dog's tummies it's better to stick with it as changing flavours every few weeks is just like changing the food they're on and why would you do that if you don'tneed to.

Don't know if it's true!
Scooter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks guys, I'm pleased that there are others that agree with what we are doing. It did result in a bit of bad feeling last night because it was said just before our training class in front of a group of others. I felt like we were being told off. Even though we've had dogs since the early 1990s I'm never confident enough in my own knowledge/experience - but I did stand up for it last night

Our old dog & cat had Pedigree Chum and Whiskas pouches respectively and I never worried much - I'm getting worse as I get older

When we first got Forrest as a puppy I spent so much time on the internet researching different food I tied myself in knots and still worry what would happen if I pick one that's not right in the long run. I need to relax more...
boredinstroud
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm not sure - we feed a few different flavours of dry food and Akira definitely shows more interest when the flavours are varied. However it's what works for you...if your dog is happy eating one flavour then it's not mean to carry on like that.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 09:06 AM
I've heard before that you should always feed the same flavour. Max has been on Burns now for about 4 years and they do several flavours. We've always alternated his flavours. Max had quite a sensitive tummy before starting on Burns so we were a little cautious about changing the flavours at first but he's always got on well with what ever flavour he's been offered.
lees
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Hi after reading your post i felt i just had to post on here too, sorry not with any kind of answers though, mind you in saying that my 6 year old rottie has had a very sensitive tummy since he was a puppy and when we eventually found a food that suits him we have stayed with it ever since and i see no problem with it he does him good and has remained well on it no change of flavour either. however i seem to be finding myself in the same situation as you, i got my new pup only a week ago and have found myself on the internet everyday since, researching what foods and so on, i have finally decided on cjs and will be collecting it tomorrow but still cant seem to relax, you wouldnt think i have owned dogs for years
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2010, 05:49 PM
After reading all this I spoke to my vet about it this morning when I was in for something else.
My dogs have been on kibble only for 6 weeks for sensitive tums to see if it was the food causing the problems, which it isn't. The vet said all we can do with regards to flavours of food and treats is to see what works and what doesn't. SHe said it doesn't do any harm to change flavours but that we should bear in mind different flavours have different protein sources and that could upset the dogs tummy so if we've got no problem in sticking with one flavour (as it's generally us who think the dog wants different flavours, not the dog) then the dog will be happy!
She said I am silly for worrying and that she'd be proud to have a dog in the condition that mine are in and their eyes, coats, energy and general health are all indicative of a happy and healthy dogs.
I will now stop worrying.