View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

04-02-2014, 08:03 PM

How to stop beef going off in the fridge?

I've been buying those packets of frying steaks, where you get three (smallish ones) in a packet - I try to use just one a day (I am not greedy ) by putting the ones I don't use in a plastic bag sealed as tight as I can. But they start to brown by day two and always by day three. Yet in their original, unopened sealed plastic 'packet' they can last for ages - even past their sell by date!

So I wonder, is there anyway to store them for a couple of days without them going off? Maybe putting n water first?

Any ideas appreciated
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2014, 08:13 PM

Meat turns brown due to oxidation,so once you open the bag I doubt there is anything you can do to stop this.Still fine to eat though.OH would actually prefer his after a few days in the fridge and I haven't poisoned him....yet!!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Going brown does not mean they have gone off. I would bag each one separately, freeze and take each one out of the freezer about an hour before you fry it.

Please do not put them in water as the flavour will leach into the water.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-02-2014, 08:21 PM
I would freeze the remaining ones and take them out as needed as well, in fact thats what I always do when I buy packs of anything with more than one in, rest goes in the freezer.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

04-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Thanks guys. Sometimes, when they are left for an extra day I am sure they start looking a bit green (they also smell a bit weird too )

I didn't think of freezing them - I am the sort who will forget to take them out for when I need them but think I will try it with this batch as I am fed up of them going off. Thanks all!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-02-2014, 08:32 PM
Azz, every morning I think what I am going to need foodwise for the rest of the day, this mainly applies to the girls of course, but can also apply to me.
Sooooo after giving them their brekkie, skipping out and sweeping the yard I come back in past a tall freezer and an under counter freezer in the utility. It is an easy matter (as it is my routine now) to take out tomorrows brekkie, Fenn's lunch and everyone's tea, and my tea if there is something in the freezer I am going to eat.
I then leave it all out to defrost in separate plastic trays and voila all is ready when needed.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Azz I think once the airtight seal is broken the meat from those packs doesn't keep so well.

With three steaks you could eat one, marinade the second for the following day and freeze the third.

ETA I would use just a small amount of marinade in a covered dish , olive oil/small amount of garlic/black pepper. The steak should be nice and tender.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2014, 11:32 PM
Tastes better once it starts going darker and is more tender - ask any butcher. Trouble is most like their beef to look bright red.

However if it stinks or feels sticky chuck it out.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2014, 08:27 AM
As others have said use one but open it as close to eating as possible. Freeze one and seal the other in fridge.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2014, 08:42 AM
Is this any help?

http://meatsafety.org/ht/d/sp/i/26029/pid/26029

I thought you didn't eat red meat and you're eating steak every day?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >