Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I think pigeon is a little harder to get hold of as I've rarely seen it being sold. Not sure whether that is down to area or not.
In Hampshire, when I lived there, some of the local farmer's markets had a stall - usually the same guy, who sold pheasant, partridge, quail, pigeon, rabbits and venison. It was seasonal but he also had stocks in his freezer all ready-prepared.

As they were for human consumption, vacuum packed and ready to cook they weren't cheap but I did buy rabbit from him, and pigeon. The first time I had pigeon was at a friend's barbecue - she'd bought a pack of frozen pigeon breasts from this stall - have to say they were really delicious.

I once bought a whole frozen ready to cook pigeon from the stall for £1.50 just for Merlin and Cuba, as a treat. Once thawed, I took off a weeny little pigeon drumstick for Cuba cat (she adored it) and Merlin ate the rest.

Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
Don't rabbits eat their own ****?
Yes.... technically, they do.... Most grass eaters like cows, sheep, goats reprocess their food - what we term 'chewing the cud'. Grass isn't terribly nutritious in itself, so these animals have evolved a way of making the most out of it by re-digesting it. They do this by regurgitating it, part-digested - back up into their mouths for a second good chewing, then sending it down to be re-digested, and gain a lot of extra nutrients this way. Because they hoick it up we never see the cud - but I bet it's not very pleasant... in fact as it's one step on from the bits we see in green tripe, it's probably more like what comes out the other end. Cows have four stomachs for a reason.... Grass is tough, not very easy to digest, and needs a lot of processing.

Rabbits are also grass eaters and they - with some other related animals - have a slightly different set-up. Instead of burping up a wad of cud like cows or sheep, their "cud" comes out of the other end. It's not faeces as we understand it, but a clump of matter rather like a bunch of grapes in shape, soft (very smelly!) and glossy. Often these are 'pooed out' when rabbits are stressed, over fed or unwell. They are not the same as the usual "currants" which we know as rabbit poo, which are very dry and fibrous.

These caecotropes are taken from the anus and re-eaten by the rabbits, to enable a second digestion of their food. If prevented from doing so, rabbits will die of vitamin deficiency fairly quickly - if my memory serves me right, caecal 'pellets' are rich in B vitamins. It's also a survival mechanism which enables them to stay alive if they are prevented from leaving their burrows in bad weather or severe predator threat.

So, yeah, they kind of eat their own poo, but don't... we only think it's poo because it comes from That End, and it only comes from there because they can't burp! They also can't vomit!
Deanoh
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-10-2012, 11:28 PM
I like rabbit and always sing "bright eyes" while it's cooking.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm very pleased, just picked up some game pie mix from the local fishmonger (pheasant, partridge, mallard and pigeon) and ordered 2 whole rabbits for next week (£3.75 each)

Now I know that it's the fishmonger, not the butcher, that stocks them, I'll be putting my order in regularly!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Is that at Garstang?

Helen
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I'm very pleased, just picked up some game pie mix from the local fishmonger (pheasant, partridge, mallard and pigeon) and ordered 2 whole rabbits for next week (£3.75 each)

Now I know that it's the fishmonger, not the butcher, that stocks them, I'll be putting my order in regularly!
Ohh, Can you order me a rabbit too Shell?
Have they got the fur on/bones in?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Is that at Garstang?

Helen
No, it's the little fishmongers in Knott End...
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-10-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm vegetarian (pescetarian really as I eat fish) and have been for about 14 years now.
Have no problem with people/dogs eating meat including rabbits or other wild things if caught humanely, am now in a relationship with a guy who shoots rabbits, pheasant and pigeons to eat. Must admit I am kind of tempted to try some, apart from pheasant, I do not like the smell of it!
I have 4 pet bunnies. My mum thinks it horrific I feed the dogs rabbit so god knows what she'd think of me trying some!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
No, it's the little fishmongers in Knott End...
Thanks - I haven't been there for YEARS! Might have to venture out that way.

Originally Posted by Tegs_mum View Post
I'm vegetarian (pescetarian really as I eat fish) and have been for about 14 years now.
Have no problem with people/dogs eating meat including rabbits or other wild things if caught humanely, am now in a relationship with a guy who shoots rabbits, pheasant and pigeons to eat. Must admit I am kind of tempted to try some, apart from pheasant, I do not like the smell of it!
I would def try a bit, just to see what it tastes like. I don't like the smell of grouse but love it once it has cooked.

Helen
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Rabbit isn't strong tasting, the main problem is because there's so little fat getting a good thick gravy or sauce. I tend to chop into bits, pat dry with kitchen towel, and coat in seasoned flour before frying to go in a stew. Edited to add when shot they need to be pissed and paunched as quickly as possible, otherwise it can taint the meat.

Hare is quite red and meaty, very tasty. The strangest gamebird I've eaten is woodcock, which has red breast meat and white leg meat. The traditional way to cook it is by plucking, then sticking the beak up the butt and roasting. the entrails are spread on toast once cooked, it's apparently a delicacy, I'm not convinced enough to try it.

We're having grouse for tea, done in a sherry sauce with chorizo, it's in the oven cooking now.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2012, 06:55 PM
I have rabbits in the garden. I can't stand the smell of rabbit either. I got Louie a skinned one from the butchers the other day as I had nothing but beef in and he's on an exclusion diet. And I hate the smell of it.

I'll stick with my Burgers and Chicken dippers
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >