Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 08:19 AM

Help, all my washing smells!

For some reason my new flat makes my washing smell And I can't figure out why, I'm not washing it any differently to how I was when I lived at home! I haven't got a tumble dryer so I've been putting it on the radiators. It's fine when I put it on there but then when it's dry it smells musty and horrible!

Any ideas? I'm sick of smelling weird - even my OH noticed it and he's arguably smellier than my clothes
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Could it be the drum in your washing machine?

My Mum had the same problem and it wasn't the radiators but the machine it'self..

Other than that I would clean the radiators with Bicarb and water (2 parts water, 1 part water - I think - it should make a paste) and this should take away any smell, just in case it is the radiators.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 08:34 AM
Are you folding it straight over the radiators? You might be better with one of those airers that hook over the radiator so that both sides of the clothes can get air circulated around them.
You could also try a hot wash with the washing machine with vinegar to disinfect and deodourise (vinegar does both without the worry of your clothes getting bleached etc afterwards) - if you google "washing machine vinegar" then there are several discussions about it
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Could it be the drum in your washing machine?

My Mum had the same problem and it wasn't the radiators but the machine it'self..

Other than that I would clean the radiators with Bicarb and water (2 parts water, 1 part water - I think - it should make a paste) and this should take away any smell, just in case it is the radiators.
Ooh I hadn't thought it could be my washing machine but that would make sense because it is quite old and I wash all of Molly's stuff in it

I'll use the bicarb solution and clean the radiators just in case and then I'll disinfect my washing machine too. Thanks!

Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Are you folding it straight over the radiators? You might be better with one of those airers that hook over the radiator so that both sides of the clothes can get air circulated around them.
You could also try a hot wash with the washing machine with vinegar to disinfect and deodourise (vinegar does both without the worry of your clothes getting bleached etc afterwards) - if you google "washing machine vinegar" then there are several discussions about it
Yeah, I've just been folding it over the radiator! I think perhaps it might be worth it to see if I can get some of those airers then

And thanks for the vinegar disinfectant suggestion, I'll try it now and see if it makes a difference. Here's hoping for non-smelly clothes
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-10-2011, 08:57 AM
I'd also clean out the washing machine filter.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 08:58 AM
I have started doing a hot wash 95 degrees, machine empty,after I do the dogs beds,but using my detergent and soda crystals.I also do a hot wash with the machine empty once a week,again with detergent and soda crystals.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Do you wash at 30 too? I know there's a push for it with all the washing powders doing their "works at 30" stuff too but apparently it can cause smelly washing machines as it doesn't get hot enough to kill all the germs - especially if you use non-bio detergent. The occasional hot wash (with bio if you don't use it, though don't think it's necessary) can help stop the build up of smells. We do lots of our clothes at 30 but we do a towel wash at a hotter temperature, and ditto with the dogs' bedding.
Have also bought some wash bags lately, it was actually because our washing machine keeps making little holes in certain fabrics but I bought a spare one for pet stuff too to try to keep the machine hair-free. These are the ones we bought (the large ones are big enough for a standard size washing machine)
http://www.washingnet.org.uk/washing_bags.html
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Run the machine on a mega-hot wash empty, possibly with one of the things the others suggested in it... these low degree washes might work on the clothes but they clog the machine up over time with pongy rubbish that makes yer clothes and house reek... the manual might actually say something about doing a maintenance wash once a month - that's basically it.

Never had a bother in the world with my old washer (RIP - being hoiked along the street at -10degrees last year in the house move finally killed it off) - the new washer gets attacks of the niffs very very easily. I don't usually do ours empty - but I do do a hot wash with towels and stuff I'm not going to shrink in it (cos I'm a cheap skate) and it clears the whiff.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I'd also clean out the washing machine filter.
Think I might have to get the manual out to find that then!

Originally Posted by Sal View Post
I have started doing a hot wash 95 degrees, machine empty,after I do the dogs beds,but using my detergent and soda crystals.I also do a hot wash with the machine empty once a week,again with detergent and soda crystals.
Thanks for the tip, I'll start doing this after I wash Molly's bedding!

Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Do you wash at 30 too? I know there's a push for it with all the washing powders doing their "works at 30" stuff too but apparently it can cause smelly washing machines as it doesn't get hot enough to kill all the germs - especially if you use non-bio detergent. The occasional hot wash (with bio if you don't use it, though don't think it's necessary) can help stop the build up of smells. We do lots of our clothes at 30 but we do a towel wash at a hotter temperature, and ditto with the dogs' bedding.
Have also bought some wash bags lately, it was actually because our washing machine keeps making little holes in certain fabrics but I bought a spare one for pet stuff too to try to keep the machine hair-free. These are the ones we bought (the large ones are big enough for a standard size washing machine)
http://www.washingnet.org.uk/washing_bags.html
I didn't realise that about washing at 30 but yes, I only ever wash my clothes at 30 now because I've been washing my towels (Normally do them at 60) at the laundry place. That might be the issue then! I've put it on a 90 degree wash though with some vinegar in it so hopefully that'll kill off any bacteria!

I actually have some washing machine bags but I never use them! I might start now though

Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
Run the machine on a mega-hot wash empty, possibly with one of the things the others suggested in it... these low degree washes might work on the clothes but they clog the machine up over time with pongy rubbish that makes yer clothes and house reek... the manual might actually say something about doing a maintenance wash once a month - that's basically it.

Never had a bother in the world with my old washer (RIP - being hoiked along the street at -10degrees last year in the house move finally killed it off) - the new washer gets attacks of the niffs very very easily. I don't usually do ours empty - but I do do a hot wash with towels and stuff I'm not going to shrink in it (cos I'm a cheap skate) and it clears the whiff.
RIP trusty washing machine

Thanks for the advice - I've put it on at 90 now with vinegar and no clothes in it so hopefully the smell goes..
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 11:12 AM
We blamed the dog for weeks for the musty smell in the kitchen after ours had been on before we realised... poor Layton - gets the blame for everything! (although he's useful for blaming bottom burps on )
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >