Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
so, so bored now........................
This thread has strayed so far from the original topic, and it goes round and round and round and round.
Enough, already.
They do go around and around, don't they.

I've had enough too, only popped back for one post and tried not to get caught up again

Wys
x
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
You make the most ridiculous assumptions and use them to try and say that electric shocks are the way to train all the dogs that have to be pts---you aren't worth a dime and
I have to agree. Is he seriously suggesting that putting shock collars on all those dogs that were PTS would save them? What planet is he on, for heaven's sake?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 05:21 PM
bam bam, although your last post shows you up as the troll you are
I am still going to answer your point as others may be listning
I am totaly serious my dog wants to do what i request of him
Because training is such fun for him and the actual act of doing the 'trick' has been so rewarded that doing it becomes rewarding
I dont have to wake my dogs up to ask them if they would like to work with me
My dogs are always ready and wake up themselves if I move incase we are going to do something fun
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Offensives and off topic posts which breach our Posting Guidelines have been removed
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Brandy the staff was a classic example, Dog aggressive when meeting unfamilar dog at close quaters.

2/3 Sessions with e collar and stooge dogs would have him ignoring other dogs entirely on the lead and playing/ignoring them off the lead. Instead they killed him!

Adam
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 09:05 PM
And you think in your cloud-cuckoo land that Battersea (or any rescue) can afford the time, expense and kennel space to do that?

Like I said before, you're not quite grounded on this planet. When you have kennel facilities to take in the thousands of dogs like Brandy and work on them for free, house feed & train them, all for free, then please, do so. In the meantime would you kindly keep your naive and ignorant ideas to yourself? It's not all about e-collars for heaven's sake.... this obsession of yours seems to transcend the boundaries of reality.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Takes like 3, 45 min sessions. They could do that in that first week. I believe they have a behavioural team as well?

Adam
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Takes like 3, 45 min sessions. They could do that in that first week. I believe they have a behavioural team as well?

Adam
Yeah it's called shutting down the dog out of fear. It suppresses the behavior but does not address the reasons for the aggression (which are usually fear-based). In fact, punishment like that (this includes choke chains) can often backfire and make the dog more scared of whatever it fears.

It's a lot like my uncle. He had major problems with alcoholism. The first time they simply treated the symptom (his drinking) but not the cause. He went right back to it fairly quickly. Later they finally got him into therapy and addressed the cause. He's been clean for years.

You can address the symptoms all you want, but you just end up with a dog who is shut down. I prefer to address the cause but far too many people just want the quick and easy solution and don't really care about the dog's mental state.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Brandy the staff was a classic example, Dog aggressive when meeting unfamilar dog at close quaters.

2/3 Sessions with e collar and stooge dogs would have him ignoring other dogs entirely on the lead and playing/ignoring them off the lead. Instead they killed him!

Adam
Troible is with any quick fix..... Is that it tends toi have quick unfix too.

As you say yourself you have only been doing this for three years. Id be interested to know how all of your cases are doing in 7 years. If you don't treat the underlying problem, only the symptoms, then the underlying problem tends to resurface again and again. Usually after the owner has learnt to be complacent.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 10:04 PM
I don't believe it's just about the rehab, it's about the willingness of people (new owners) to take on a staffie - too many of them...

Personally I'd not trust a dog aggressive dog who had been subjected to ecollar with mine, no way. Because the conditioned emotional reaction has not been altered.

Wys
x
Page 76 of 77 « First < 26 66 73 74 75 76 77 >