Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by eloquence View Post
and if it didn't make any difference wether you ignored this person or spoke to them, and they were inches from your face and threatening you, and say you had a 4 year old in your arms. what would you do then?
I would go through the same sequence of choices as I gave before. I think we all agree any reasonable steps are justified in self defence when there is nothing else for it but to be honest I think I would be stuffed if I could not get out of this by any other means than a physical one with a child in my arms!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Leo - Your post doesn't make sense leo please edit it

If you are talking about someone actually hurting Rocky then of course I would defend him. I'm quite sure that if I was there tho, nobody would even attempt to go near him - I'm good at giving 'evils' but yeah If they did I would defend him - that doesn't mean I would go overboard, just use the minimum force required, then follow it up by telephoning the police.

I am not the sort of person to just sit there, and on many occasions I have put myself in situations because of my beliefs or principles.

A group of lads were smashing bottles with a huge stick where I take Rocky for a walk once. They smashed one, and I let it go because it was already done, then one threw a bottle in the air to smash another - before he could, I shouted OI! As we approached them I told him it wasn't a good idea because dogs can easily get class stuck in their paws. I entered a dialogue not a fight. I'm sure they could have killed me if they wanted to, but I made the decision to speak to them in a calm, unconfrontational manner - and IF THEY decided to attack me then I would have defended myself.

Of course that's not the same as someone threatening to hurt me or Rocky, in which case I would take threats seriously and report them to the police, but I wouldn't go attack them because of it.

Jackie - personally I would find out what my options are. With the information superhighway at our fingertips, I would use it to get as much info as possible - and make logical and intelligent decisions based on that.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-04-2007, 07:03 PM
walk away although it is easier said than done..... you must have very good self control.
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
walk away although it is easier said than done..... you must have very good self control.
That's what it takes :smt001 In the heat of the moment, when you are frightened, whatever, that is difficult but I think if you have taken a clear understanding beforehand that, in the long run, that brings less aggro into your life and you and those around you will benefit the most I think you can keep the presence of mind to see it through.
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
I would go through the same sequence of choices as I gave before. I think we all agree any reasonable steps are justified in self defence when there is nothing else for it but to be honest I think I would be stuffed if I could not get out of this by any other means than a physical one with a child in my arms!
so you would go to the police then? and what if they said they could do nothing about it, what then?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I am not the sort of person to just sit there, and on many occasions I have put myself in situations because of my beliefs or principles.
Aw nobody should be villified for stating an opinion or having a belief, although I know it happens.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Jackie - can you get an injunction out against this guy?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-04-2007, 07:15 PM
some ppl won't enter into dialogue in a calm civilised manner. how would you deal with the situtation then?
all i am trying to point out is you would try and stop the abuse, your first attempt would be through communication and great if it works and the ppl stop, but if you had to defend yourself with reasonable force to protect yourself or rocky you would.
which is no more or less than most would do, dog or family.
maybe it comes down to how much a person can tolerate or let go without re acting badly to any given situtation but for me i will be honest it wouldn't be alot.
right or wrong i would re act and do what i felt was needed to prevent the abuse.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post

A group of lads were smashing bottles with a huge stick where I take Rocky for a walk once. They smashed one, and I let it go because it was already done, then one threw a bottle in the air to smash another - before he could, I shouted OI! As we approached them I told him it wasn't a good idea because dogs can easily get class stuck in their paws. I entered a dialogue not a fight. I'm sure they could have killed me if they wanted to, but I made the decision to speak to them in a calm, unconfrontational manner - and IF THEY decided to attack me then I would have defended myself.

I remember you mentioning that incident Azz.

Sometimes talking to someone just leads to a mouthful of abuse from a person. I'm not the type of person to take verbal or physical abuse from anyone, I never have been. Yes, I've had to call the police on a number of occasions but they don't ever seem to take things like verbal abuse seriously. On one occasion, quite recently, it took A WEEK for an officer to visit me to take a statement regarding allegations from a 15 y/o towards myself and my daughter and I was the one that called them

I do however try and diffuse any hostility and I bring my kids up to believe that it takes a bigger man to walk away from a fight, but seeing how society is now, this doesn't always work. It's not through lack of trying, just the way violence has esculated.

There was an occasion where my son was beaten quite badly by several youths and required hospitalization (it couldof been worse if my friend hadn't stepped in). The police were called, they took statements from witnesses
and that was the last that was heard from them. My son then had another kicking from these lads for calling the police

He did get his own justice though. He picked these boys off, one by one and gave them a hiding. They left him alone after that.

It's not the right way to deal with it, but as I've already said, it's sometimes the only way that some folk understand.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
I see. I think I had already said at that point I can't see the relevence of personal questions. Perhaps you can tell me how many children I should have in order to participate in a rational discussion on sociology and law and order?
Please don't try to twist my question to suit your answer. If you prefer not to answer it, then that is your choice.
Personally I believe an honest and open approach to most debates is preferable.

By the way, I didn't ask how many children you had, but if you had any - I am curious to know, as I think your whole outlook on this entire debate would be different if you were a mother.
Page 11 of 18 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »