View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wheeler
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-03-2017, 09:12 PM
A breed mix is a mutt......... same as a mixed breed is a mutt. So what are you trying to say exactly?
jd08250
New Member!
Male 

25-03-2017, 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
A breed mix is a mutt......... same as a mixed breed is a mutt. So what are you trying to say exactly?
I bet you're a joy to be around.

If you read the original post, you'll plainly see I was looking for feedback. I don't expect anyone to nail it. That would require a DNA test. This was supposed to be a "fun" post to see if anyone had a clue so I maybe could become better informed on training her. Different breeds require different training. That includes hybrid breeds, or mutts as you prefer to call them.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-03-2017, 05:19 AM
Ok so we want to go down the rabbit hole.

A cross of 2 purebred dogs is a cross.
A true mutt is 3 or more breeds in the mix.

Since the OP has not done a dna test and does not know the parents, neither statement can be found to be true.

At which point did you sneak in to dna test the op's dog or did you spend the 1.99 a minute to consult your local psychic or did you spend the 3.99 a minute to consult Cleo.
Wheeler
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-03-2017, 10:09 AM
A cross of 2 purebred is a mutt, some people do not accept this and are actively trying to create more unwanted dogs. A mix or mutt is any mix of two or more dogs. Cross is also short for cross-breed which means mutt, I know this to be true in the uk as well as in the states
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-03-2017, 04:18 PM
A cross of 2 purebred is a mutt, some people do not accept this and are actively trying to create more unwanted dogs. A mix or mutt is any mix of two or more dogs. Cross is also short for cross-breed which means mutt, I know this to be true in the uk as well as in the states
Sorry I'm not trying to create or do a support the idea that there needs to be new designer breeds.

Oh and I'm in the USA, born in West Virginia. Though I have spent a lot of time in the UK and other countries.

A cross is generally accepted as a pup from 2 purebred dogs, a mix is generally though of as just that a pup from mixes.

May I asked what countries you have visited outside the US.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2017, 06:28 PM
The term mutt is not commonly used in the UK. I'm not sure why, but it does sound a little blunt - especially when the word is being used to describe the much loved pet a new poster. It is OK to say mongrel for a really mixed dog, but Cross xyz, or Crossbred x and y, is more commonly used to describe a dog which has at least one pure bred parent.
None of these domestic breed crosses should be referred to as hybrids.
Wheeler
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-03-2017, 06:57 PM
Mixed-breed or crossbreed

Like mongrels/mixed breeds, crossbred dogs belong to no one recognized breed. Unlike mixed-breeds, however, crossbred dogs are often the product of artificial selection – intentionally created by humans, whereas the term "mongrel" specifically refers to dogs that develop by natural selection, without planned intervention of humans.

Now if two purebred dogs find each other the result is a mutt, if two humans deliberately crossbreed two purebred dogs the result is still a mutt, as the genetic structure is identical, though the humans who do this may not want to admit this because they are hoping for some special result, which often comes at the price of puppies with too big or small of a heart, along with another hundred or so genetic diseases.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2