Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2009, 08:23 PM
CM
"Dog training – Conditioning a dog to human commands – sit, stay, come, heel – isn’t what I do. "

& to think ive seen all those episiodes with him concentrating on "heeling" (awfulk term ) & to think hes even invented that collar to help train something he dosent even train!!!!! amazing!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I've never seen CM work on recall, but they have leash laws in America so I don't think it's that much of an issue.
To be fair Sarah, you said you've never seen CM work on recall, not that you knew CM himself had said he doesnt do recall training?

Also, I thought your main point in this post above was regarding leash laws in America.
Which, from my point of view, i didnt respond to, as I know America has 51 states, each of whom have several counties, plus dozens of cities.
And there are huge swathes of open spaces and countryside.
And all these bodies make their own laws outside of federal law.
So, with all due respects, id like to see evidence that leash laws in America are federal or local, and how widespread they are before I accept this means that recall training isn't an issue.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
To be fair Sarah, you said you've never seen CM work on recall, not that you knew CM himself had said he doesnt do recall training?

Also, I thought your main point in this post above was regarding leash laws in America.
Which, from my point of view, i didnt respond to, as I know America has 51 states, each of whom have several counties, plus dozens of cities.
And there are huge swathes of open spaces and countryside.
And all these bodies make their own laws outside of federal law.
So, with all due respects, id like to see evidence that leash laws in America are federal or local, and how widespread they are before I accept this means that recall training isn't an issue.
yet again im confussed remember the dog chasing the wheels a few pages back? if a recall (or a leave,down,everything cm says he doesnt do)had been trained to this dog, it wouldnt have needed an e-collar so,recall in america does apply!!(regarless of leash laws)
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-08-2009, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
yet again im confussed remember the dog chasing the wheels a few pages back? if a recall (or a leave,down,everything cm says he doesnt do)had been trained to this dog, it wouldnt have needed an e-collar so,recall in america does apply!!(regarless of leash laws)
I couldn't find the dog chasing wheels a few pages back but if it's the combine harvester chasing incident then this is roughly what it says in the book. If this is the one I don't think leash laws apply as I think she never left the farm and the e-collar had already been used by the owners.

Molly a blue heeler was obsessed with chasing tyres. By the age of 18 months she had already lost an eye and had her lower jaw pushed into the upper jaw as a result of her obsession, Her owners had tried and e collar the previous year, it worked temporarily. The collar was too big and the corrections she received as a result were somewhat hit and miss. They didn't use it consistently and gave up on it.
CM supplied a new properly fitting collar.When she moved towards the tyres she was zapped, she turned away by the end of the day it was being used on the lowest vibrate level for Molly to get the message. Before leaving them he drove past on the combine harvester while she lay down and ignored it.He left them with instructions to keep the collar on for 3 months using the lowest vibrate setting should she ever show any inclination to go back to her obsession.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
that recall training isn't an issue.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant it wasn't an issue CM seems to deal with. Not that it isn't an issue for American dog owners.

As has been said a few times (and which people who have read about CM already know) he doesn't teach commands etc. He works on behaviour.

I'm not sticking up for him BTW, I'm just saying what I have learnt from reading his books, so there's no need to jump on me
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 09:07 AM
To me if you should instill the basic behaviours first, such as sit, stay, come, heel (or whatever words you use) CM doesn't seem to even find out what the dog knows so he can work on that. All he does is see a problem and then force the dog by using punishing methods not to have the problem. He doesn't cure problems he just suppresses the dog so it no longer reacts for fear of reprisals.
That clearly demonstrates to me that CM knows nothing of how a dog's mind works, has no intention of finding out and thinks that everything can be solved permanently by some sort of force.
Becky
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 09:20 AM
I agree Becky, for dog owners it's best to teach a dog basic commands. But I don't think CM sees it that way. From what I've read about how he was brought up and the type of dog he was around, they weren't 'trained' in that sense of the word.

With my dogs I've always let them settle in first and just be themselves (as long as they aren't causing trouble ), then I see what they know and teach them some basics if they don't know them (such as sit, down, stay and recall).
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I couldn't find the dog chasing wheels a few pages back but if it's the combine harvester chasing incident then this is roughly what it says in the book. If this is the one I don't think leash laws apply as I think she never left the farm and the e-collar had already been used by the owners.

Molly a blue heeler was obsessed with chasing tyres. By the age of 18 months she had already lost an eye and had her lower jaw pushed into the upper jaw as a result of her obsession, Her owners had tried and e collar the previous year, it worked temporarily. The collar was too big and the corrections she received as a result were somewhat hit and miss. They didn't use it consistently and gave up on it.
CM supplied a new properly fitting collar.When she moved towards the tyres she was zapped, she turned away by the end of the day it was being used on the lowest vibrate level for Molly to get the message. Before leaving them he drove past on the combine harvester while she lay down and ignored it.He left them with instructions to keep the collar on for 3 months using the lowest vibrate setting should she ever show any inclination to go back to her obsession.
as ive said before,this is a common problem with heeler/herding breeds,
if she had already lost an eye by 18months imho this dog must of showed signs(as heelers do)of this escalating,the owners could of 'trained her' and not given her free rain rather than the LAZY option of paying a tv 'behaviourist' to show them how to use an-collar(3 months of intensive training rather than 3 months of zapping,low level or not)
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 09:30 AM
@ Tupacs2legs - I agree with you there. I always think the same about any person on a t.v. dog training programme. I don't know how people can let problems escalate to such a level without seeking any help
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I agree Becky, for dog owners it's best to teach a dog basic commands. But I don't think CM sees it that way. From what I've read about how he was brought up and the type of dog he was around, they weren't 'trained' in that sense of the word.

With my dogs I've always let them settle in first and just be themselves (as long as they aren't causing trouble ), then I see what they know and teach them some basics if they don't know them (such as sit, down, stay and recall).
i also think he says that,because he doent know how to train dogs,yes he was brought up in mexico,but moved to america at an early age,groomed dogs,wanted to work with dogs,so did he not learn 'a different way' than on his farm at home? but how can he be a behaviorist and not see that basic commands help us to communicate what we want from our dogs?the two combined rather than dominance
and e/prong collars?
Page 21 of 25 « First < 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 > Last »