Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2023, 10:08 AM

Daily thread Friday 6th January 2023

Morning all. Suns up. Have a good day, Fingers crossed for all to feel better today.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-01-2023, 10:40 AM
Morning brenda and all to follow.
We had terrible rain through the night but it is bright and breezy today.
Not a good start to the New year the Chrysler has had it.
Over Christmas it was doing this weird thing after having the small hole in a hose fixed, temperature went onto red and quickly came down again.
Did it twice then no more until the other day on the way to Mark and Lauren's, then fine on the way home.
Gorden had a chat at the garage and they said an air lock possibly so down it went this morning.
Oh gawd looks like the head gasket is going. They have told us there is something along the lines of radweld £30-40 from Halfords and it has a long life guarantee if it works.
Thing is they say and research is suggesting what is the problem causing the head gasket going ? Dilemma dilemma. Garage would drain it pop stuff in refill replace coolant and we are possibly looking at £100 + possibly nearer £200 they are suggesting Gorden does it as in the end we could pay them still not be fixed.
Weighing up the cost and Gorden having to do it and how easy it will be getting to the point where you drain it, we would need 2 bottles of this stuff £60-£80, then antifreeze to replace what's lost we are possibly looking at £100 and no guarantee it will be fixed.
Trying to decide what to do.

Hope everyone else is having a better day.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2023, 10:58 AM
My father and brother were both mechanics and always said if you have to start chucking money at cars with no guarantee that it would fix it long term then it is time to get rid and buy something else.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2023, 11:20 AM
Good morning all. Here's hoping all those a bit under the weather are feeling stronger.

Just popped small joint of pork into the slow Cooker decided today is a good day for a nice roast dinner LOL only downside I threw all my saucepans away and need to go and get new ones I like stainless steel inside and out and a heatproof handle (fussy or what) LOL also got to go and pick up new lawnmower from Argos as well with there sale on excellent value and boy is my new laid turf growing.

Having a catch up coffee with a friend about 2ish.

Got to pop into Sainsburys as well.

Brenda Your internet sounds like a saga, hope its resolved soon. No walk yet today?

Lynn Given you will be using the Chrysler for towing the caravan, I am not sure I would be throwing "good money" at it last thing you need is a car that does not perform when with the caravan is on the back. Gosh Freya nursery walking where is the time going.

Chris Hope all is good with all of you, how are throats? and how is
Rosie doing? good idea to stay careful with these bugs about. I did a similar to you and hoped for the weather to pop washing on the line but not a chance so I wait. LOL

Griff Are you getting excited for seeing Steve and Molly tomorrow let him drop you home given he offered you have to accept the same help you offer at times. How do you feel? hope all goes well meeting your uncle.

Sue Imagine as normal you are so busy you are planning on meeting yourself coming back LOL so school is back in action with he school runs as well I suspect, did your lad get the insurance for his window sorted?

Blonderosie Come on join us......what can it hurt we need new chatter LOL

Moyra If you are reading Happy New Year
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2023, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
My father and brother were both mechanics and always said if you have to start chucking money at cars with no guarantee that it would fix it long term then it is time to get rid and buy something else.
Agree totally Brenda and I have to say you snuck in while I was sorting slow cooker out without sending my daily post.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-01-2023, 11:27 AM
Avoid radweld it may not only fill a hole in the radiator but also clog up other parts in the cooling system. If the engine is overheating it may just be a sticking thermostat a more common fault and easily replaced.

[IMG][/IMG]

they have the working temp stamped on so only have to get the same. cost depends on vehicle easily checked on internet
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-01-2023, 11:32 AM
brenda that is our thoughts, we were saying it was time to move it on but we didn't realise the problem it had.
Yes Kazz that is the worry even if it were fixed not sure it will ever tow the caravan again.
Barr it's not radweld but something similar to supposedly fix the head gasket problem. Still thinking.
Sad thing is this was the Dillon mobile.

brenda forgot to mention we watched all 3 series of His Dark Materials.
Kazz have fun buying new saucepans.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-01-2023, 11:36 AM
very unlikely to be head gasket if the head had not been removed before. If it had and not tightened down in the correct order and torc would possibly cause distortion a gasket would not seal it long term
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-01-2023, 11:57 AM
Very experienced mechanic performed tests he could smell something was off when he took a part off and used some sort of liquid they use to pump into the relevant bit and then see what happens and the fluid changed colour that is apparently the first indication that something is off and most likely a head gasket issue.
It will have to be looked at in depth to find what can be causing it and that will result in time, which is labour cost and possibly lots of money to fix.
We are weighing up do we try the diy solution or just accept whatever we do may not fix it or it is going to need a mortgage to fix it on a car that's done 125,000 miles.

Well it just gets worse we sent the paperwork for the L&G annuity to be paid out monthly 4 weeks ago. Gorden is trying to chase it and now needs an email account to be able to track what's going on.
Done that and they have apparently not received so now filling out the paperwork again today is silly I should have had it tracked.
Granted it wasn't in an official envelope but a plain white one with an official address on it, I'm guessing it's in an in tray somewhere and getting overlooked.
So today it will be sent first class, tracked, official envelope and can take another 4 to 6 weeks to process.
I know there have been postal strikes but apart from things being a day or two late we have not suffered that much disruption.
Fingers crossed that's our lot out of the way for the year.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2023, 12:14 PM
Sadly I have still not had a couple of emails from sender's which I should have had. No idea why as have added to my safe sender list. All others are coming through. So frustrating. Also not had post for awhile which I now think have got lost. Some were coming from New Zealand. I have been here just over two years without too many problems but now new new year and yep problems. I suppose compared to other people's problems mine are minor. Have a good afternoon. I did go for my walk in the sun but now clouded over.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >