Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2014, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Twigs View Post
Well I went to the hospital yesterday and had to wait about 1 1/2 hrs before seeing doctor. He told me it is a smiths fracture.
I then had to wait ages to see the plaster room and then I had a shock when he told me I would have to have an over the elbow cast! I told him I knew I couldn't cope with it (panic). He checked with the doctor who said that it would have to be to keep the bones from moving.
They put it on and I felt not well at all, it is right up to my armpit. Had to then go to X ray (feeling not too good).
Back to doctor who said I needed to keep this on for 2 weeks, which was a bit of a relief, and I go back in 2 weeks to have a below the elbow cast on.
The problem is now I'm home I'm getting bad anxiety and panics, can't eat either ;-(( The cast feels tight, itchy and I feel panicky that I can't get to my arm and feel very, very claustrophobic.
I am doing my best to stay calm but am feeling terrible. I just don't know if I can cope with this.
I do feel so silly and needed to talk about this. I can't find any website that seems to help in these matters.
Forgot to say that arm is also plastered in an odd position for the bones to set right. It is not a natural position with my hand facing upwards.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Cast will feel tight because your arm is swollen due to the break, can you get hold of any knitbone (comfrey) or arnica to take the swelling and bruising down.
Stop panicking, if the cast wasn't on you'd be in worst trouble long term, so it has to be on there to help your whole arm heal properly.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2014, 04:32 PM
Don't panic Mrs Mainwaring

Deep breathing, take advantage of needing help

I had my upper arm, collar bone, shoulder blade & three ribs broken by an Abseiling squaddie, who came bouncing down a rock face from above me when I was a student. I ended up with a wrist to shoulder cast & a metal strut to keep my arm up put into the plaster, I also had metal plates, pins, nuts & bolts etc inserted which are still there because I had broken the collar bone & shoulder blade several times before. LOL couldn't dress/undress myself, cut up my food etc Good job I was at a college with lots of very helpful hunks & good female friends as well, as I was plastered up for months ! Didn't stop my beer intake tho'(it was in the 1960s !)

Can't go through the metal detectors at airports & ports without setting them off

Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Cast will feel tight because your arm is swollen due to the break, can you get hold of any knitbone (comfrey) or arnica to take the swelling and bruising down.
Stop panicking, if the cast wasn't on you'd be in worst trouble long term, so it has to be on there to help your whole arm heal properly.
Hi,

I am feeling really bad, its the claustrophobia. I am having major anxiety, can't stand it, just feel like ripping it off but of course I can't. Its so unbearably uncomfortable and never dreamed I could feel like this. I will ring my doctor tomorrow, see if she can give me anything.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Why is it giving you claustrophobia having a cast on your arm. You're going to have to keep telling yourself it is going to make you better and nothing to worry about.
Maybe he can get you in to see someone, because there's a deep seated problem here
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Why is it giving you claustrophobia having a cast on your arm. You're going to have to keep telling yourself it is going to make you better and nothing to worry about.
Maybe he can get you in to see someone, because there's a deep seated problem here
I really don't know. I was okay when I was wearing the back-slab for 10 days, but this one is right up to my armpit and I feel so trapped, it feels like a nightmare to me.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-05-2014, 08:55 PM
Well the alternative of NOT wearing it is a no brainer, so something is making you feel like this.
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2014, 09:02 PM
Well the alternative of NOT wearing it is a no brainer, so something is making you feel like this.
Yes I know, I am trying to be strong (although feel such a wimp!). I'm fine in elevators etc., no problem.
I think its the feeling trapped, knowing that I cannot take it off. I have heard that they now have removable ones to give people more comfort at times when needed.
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2014, 09:11 PM
I have heard of cast claustrophia in the USA but over here we have to put on the stiff upper lip! Apparently doctors do know about but don't mention it.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Twigs View Post
Well I went to the hospital yesterday and had to wait about 1 1/2 hrs before seeing doctor. He told me it is a smiths fracture.
I then had to wait ages to see the plaster room and then I had a shock when he told me I would have to have an over the elbow cast! I told him I knew I couldn't cope with it (panic). He checked with the doctor who said that it would have to be to keep the bones from moving.
They put it on and I felt not well at all, it is right up to my armpit. Had to then go to X ray (feeling not too good).
Back to doctor who said I needed to keep this on for 2 weeks, which was a bit of a relief, and I go back in 2 weeks to have a below the elbow cast on.
The problem is now I'm home I'm getting bad anxiety and panics, can't eat either ;-(( The cast feels tight, itchy and I feel panicky that I can't get to my arm and feel very, very claustrophobic.
I am doing my best to stay calm but am feeling terrible. I just don't know if I can cope with this.
I do feel so silly and needed to talk about this. I can't find any website that seems to help in these matters.
YOU ARE NOT BEING SILLY AND YOU WILL COPE!

give yourself time please and avoid the web horror stories.

each day it will get easier as you get used to it. .

eat a little at a time; just a mouthful every hour. your body needs fuel to heal itself. drink milk for the calcium. eat treats! comfort food is great

sitting here in bed with a largely useless right hand.

fell many weeks ago and no one here etc and it was 24 hrs before i got to a and e, this being rural ireland. they have centralised services so i am 50 miles from the nearest a and e

only fitted the reality together much later and wish i hab been more on the ball that sunday morning..

displaced fracture radius and a crushed/ impacted bone on the other side.

teaching hospital and you do have to watch the young ones.unnecessary tests and procedures to teach..

in theatre they put k wires in. back slab for 4 weeks. had no idea what k wires we re until google and was nearly sick.

2 weeks passed with little pain then suddenly that changed. bitter pain and fingers swelling. that week was back and forth like a yoyo. to the hospital. it was a kind older male nurse who explained. one of the kwires had moved and kind of ripped through soft tissue.
out came the k wires

back slab then a pretty blue fibreglass cast and a diagnosis of dystrophy.

the bones have healed in the miraculous way they do but nerves and sinews are not as forgiving.

just got worse the next 2 weeks then yesterday the cast came off and i faced the reality of how little use i am left with. wearing a splint/brace and am not going back as there is nothing they can do that i cannot do here
almost no movement without bad pain now.
one of my family has osteoporois and she is teaching me by phone what to do

2 drs each blame the other for what has happened and i hate when they do that not a word of apology or sympathy.

spent decades perfecting craft skills i have used to save babies and now cannot even sign my name

am working to adjust as we all have to do. kniiting is out for now and maybe forever but have managed to bead.

we are wonderfully adaptive and time helps in that.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >