Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 03:14 PM
There are some smoking/drinking related figures here:

http://www.ash.org.uk/html/factsheets/html/fact02.html

http://www.strategy.gov.uk/news/pres...003/030919.asp

But the comparison between drinking and smoking isn't really the issue here.

I'm not disputing the drink-related problems in this country but some things are lethal in certain hands and not so in others. I like a drink but woulndn't go around drinking myself to death or harming others under the influence. BUT if I smoked in public, I would be harming others
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
We have recently got our FIRST no smoking club thing in preston....but I heard it has age limits on it....so an 18 year old who doesn't smoke...still couldn't go
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 03:24 PM
No problem Ashlady... I chose to read the posts!!!!!!!!!!!! Tee heee heeee.....
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1
room in the shed Inca?!!!!

step right in ..........
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star

I'm not disputing the drink-related problems in this country but some things are lethal in certain hands and not so in others. I like a drink but woulndn't go around drinking myself to death or harming others under the influence. BUT if I smoked in public, I would be harming others
Yes!!! That's what I meant to say!
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 04:40 PM
Wow LS, I've just arrived home and scanned through those links, very interesting reading - thanks for taking the trouble to find them

I really do appreciate your point of view, having gone from a 20 a day smoker to a non smoker over night (when I found out I was pregnant) I was the worst ex-smoker going, my desire to protect my baby was enormous, preaching to all and sundry about my un-born child's right to nicotine free development and continued after the birth about her rights to breath 'clean' air - even after I started again, I, nor anyone that visits, smokes in our house.

I honestly believe that I have no right to hinder her in any way, when she leaves the nest, it is my duty to make sure that her body and mind are in the best possible shape, from that point on, she can do as she sees fit, knowing that I'll be there just to poke my nose in

If truth be known LS, I am one of those 'I wish I could' people - I will try again to kick what is in truth a pathetic habit, deep down I suspect that most smokers feel the same. I need a shot of willpower first - that's all
Mel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by nemosmummy
when a person takes a drink, they pollute nobodys liver but their own,, ok they may get a little loud and rowdy but for the best part most people dont harm a sole whilst having a drink
Please write and say that to all the victims of drink driving, domestic violence bought on by drinking, the people assualted in the streets and the victims of mugging
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star

i couldnt have said it better myself LS,, and what is a non smoking pup/club then?? as we dont have any here and i have never come across one before in my life, i cant even go to a restaurant with my partner and children without some inconsiderate person lighting a ciggarette when im half way through my meal
yes there is a smoking section, but it travels through the air, whether on the other side of the room or not you can still smell it!
its like saying you can have a pee in one corner of a swimming pool but not another
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 05:24 PM
i think peeing in pools is also banned LOL ...crikey can't do anything these days
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Mel
Please write and say that to all the victims of drink driving, domestic violence bought on by drinking, the people assualted in the streets and the victims of mugging
my grandfather was an alcoholic! and my cousin was killed by a drink driver along with his girlfriend who was hit so hard she was thrown over an 8ft wall! both where killed instantly and where only 26 at the time

so yes i know the effects alcohol CAN have on people and that in some hands its a leathal weapon

BUT smoking is a lethal weapon in the hands of each and everyone who picks one up and lights it
Page 11 of 17 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »