Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

07-12-2015, 01:46 PM

Parent abuse

Children abusing their parents - when I used to live in the bigger towns/cities, I witnessed this happening more and more - dread to think what it's like now

Experts say a growing number of parents are experiencing violence at the hands of their children, but why does it happen?

Noel Phillips, reporting for the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme, meets children and parents to find out.
Video: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35010423

The interesting thing is, the children of two family members couldn't be more different. One is a single parent who has three children from three different fathers. The other is married with all children from the same father. Can you guess which one's kids are cheeky, rude and ill-mannered?

Answer: not the single parent's! In fact they have been so well brought up that I often tell their mother she has the done the best job in the entire family of bringing up her children and she should be very proud of that and not for a minute let any sniggering chatter (about her situation) get her down. Incidentally, she is not shy about giving them a clip around the ear if they misbehave
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-12-2015, 02:17 PM
I think a lot of kids today have anger issues for many and varied reasons and the Parent is an easy target, not convinced it's got anything to do with how they're brought up to be honest.
The same could be said for why teachers get attacked much more these days. Kids need an outlet for their anger and many can't even explain why they feel so angry about everything.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-12-2015, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Incidentally, she is not shy about giving them a clip around the ear if they misbehave
IMO Therein lies the answer, kids are clever, they soon learn that if it don't hurt it's OK to do whatever they like.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

07-12-2015, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I think a lot of kids today have anger issues for many and varied reasons and the Parent is an easy target, not convinced it's got anything to do with how they're brought up to be honest.
The same could be said for why teachers get attacked much more these days. Kids need an outlet for their anger and many can't even explain why they feel so angry about everything.
I would agree. However, in my family's case, I am fairly certain it has everything to do with how they were brought up. The difference is stark.

Personally I think, generally speaking, the two biggest reasons are upbringing, and food/lifestyle. (The effect of 'food' on the brain, particularly in the developing years is very well documented.)
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

07-12-2015, 03:37 PM
Working parents can't always be there to talk to their kids and invest the required amount of time into parenting, they're too busy trying to keep a roof over their heads. So yeah that comes under the heading of upbringing. Food can be a contributing factor but the pressures on kids today are huge. I was an angry teenager, nothing like losing both parents at 14 and 16 and finding your own way in the world to hack you off. I left school got 2 jobs and yet couldn't always afford to eat. I didn't beat anyone up it just made me more determined to survive but I know if I'd had someone on my case I might well have lashed out.
Meg
Supervisor

07-12-2015, 05:44 PM
When I see the way some parents speak to their small children I am no surprised they grow up to attack them shouting, swearing, treating them with no thought at all. Heaven knows how those children are treated at home.

I can't tell you the number of times I have had to walk away biting my tongue as some parent verbally abuses their children in public. Speak like that to an adult and you would be in trouble so why do it to children who learn by example
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-12-2015, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
When I see the way some parents speak to their small children I am no surprised they grow up to attack them shouting, swearing, treating them with no thought at all. Heaven knows how those children are treated at home.

I can't tell you the number of times I have had to walk away biting my tongue as some parent verbally abuses their children in public. Speak like that to an adult and you would be in trouble so why do it to children who learn by example
Was in a café at Hampton Court last moth.

A women was on her phone the child asked something and was ignored the child aske 11 times more and was ignored.

You go into a Supermarket to and a lot of parents ignore their children when they are being a nuisance and running riot.

Well done to a Parent who chastises they child in public because that child will grow up to show respect.
Meg
Supervisor

07-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by galty View Post
Was in a café at Hampton Court last moth.

A women was on her phone the child asked something and was ignored the child aske 11 times more and was ignored.

You go into a Supermarket to and a lot of parents ignore their children when they are being a nuisance and running riot.

Well done to a Parent who chastises they child in public because that child will grow up to show respect.
On the contrary Galty , well brought up children should not need to be chased when out in public, they will have learnt appropriate behaviour and respect at home.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2015, 08:44 AM
Latest in Ireland is gangs attacking seemingly random adults. Last week, 15-17 year olds assaulting a 5 month pregnant woman. Non national the report said..They are out of control and the Gardai are useless. Last month it was a Chinese man; it was caught in video and the boy begged the Judge not to show it to his mother in court,
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-12-2015, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
On the contrary Galty , well brought up children should not need to be chased when out in public, they will have learnt appropriate behaviour and respect at home.

Would you just reply and try to understand my point.

My point was that if a child is ignored at 5years old in public this will also be the same in the home ....these are not well brought children my heart went out to this poor little girl.

If the Mother had any interest with her Child she could have replied to her straight away even if it was "hang on a minute"
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >