Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
is that your son in a kennel? the farm up the road from us uses the barrels like that for his collies, i think it looks good

i dont like the look of metal kennels either, just reminds me of prisons
Haha it is my stepson. My son likes to hang around with one of "his" dogs like that too, and often crawls inside with Bill. I must get a photo

I hate the metal kennels and not only do they look awful, they also vibrate in the wind It can't bother the gundogs, as all the keepers on the Estate have these too, but the collies aren't happy at all. I can't wait for them to be finished in wood.

Originally Posted by pippam View Post
I love your barrell kennels, actually they would also be good designs for chickens coops!

All your dogs look really happy ^^
Thanks Pippam I must get a photo of the hen that is broody in one of the empty barrels just now
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I think that with this being a mainly pet dog forum, the overall feeling will be that dogs should be living indoors - and probably on the couch or in the bed too However, the sort of dogs that usually kept outdoors (ie working dogs - sheepdogs, police dogs, gundogs, sleddogs etc) are the sort of breeds that are built for outdoor living. Some may even consider it unfair on a dog with a thick, double coat to have it living in a house with central heating. Or unfair for a dog that has been bred to work living in a house in surburbia, where the owners work full time, and the dog gets bored and fat. Has anyone thought of that?

There are all different ways to look at the same situation.
i agree with this. obviously i wouldnt make asbo live outside, that would be cruel, but with some of the future breeds im considering, outside some of the time wouldnt necessarily be ruled out.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I have no issues with dogs being kennelled so long as they get time out of the kennel to be a dog. I would be concerned about leaving mine chained though, as I think chains are an accident waiting to happen. I only tether my dogs when they are supervised, either at work, shows or camping etc.
It seems to me that accidents with chains can happen when the length of chain is too long.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I think that with this being a mainly pet dog forum, the overall feeling will be that dogs should be living indoors - and probably on the couch or in the bed too However, the sort of dogs that usually kept outdoors (ie working dogs - sheepdogs, police dogs, gundogs, sleddogs etc) are the sort of breeds that are built for outdoor living. Some may even consider it unfair on a dog with a thick, double coat to have it living in a house with central heating. Or unfair for a dog that has been bred to work living in a house in surburbia, where the owners work full time, and the dog gets bored and fat. Has anyone thought of that?

There are all different ways to look at the same situation.
I like the look of your set up And I do agree about your points above, some dogs are more suited to outdoor living than others.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:49 PM
I dont see a problem either so long as the dogs needs are met as has been said.

Mine wouldnt do well outside, they stand at the door and look in longingly if I put them in the garden for too long.

Moobli....collies
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
That's a rather sweeping statement - all dogs ? really ?

Note the use of the word "healthiest" - I didn't say best!

Purely from a health point of view, yes, I think all dogs (provided they have appropriate shelter etc. etc.) are best living outside. Obviously, with little dogs such as chihuahuas they would need heating in winter etc. etc. in their kennel. My parents have always kept their dogs outside, in kennels, unheated, ranging in breeds from labradors to retreivers to staffies, and with the exception of their bloodhound who had epilepsy and had to be put down, they were all extremely healthy. I just wish my 2 would sleep out in kennels, they would be so much more comfortable, but they have to be with us.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Rupert would have loved a barrel! Nice, dark, enclosed space where he could feel safe. Course it would have had to be in the living room coz god forbid he got shut outside, his world ended!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Under the 1975 Guard Dog Act Guard dogs have to be kept by a licence holder.

A dog cannot be kept on a chain & simply called a guard dog as they have to have a handler with them unless they are in a kennel & run.

A dog on a chain isn't a deterrent to serious thieves & makes the dog vulnerable to abuse.

There was a lady in Scotland who kept three Roties as guard dogs & they slept in the kitchen of her farmhouse, sadly they couldn't protect her from the murderer who broke in & killed her as he didn't use the kitchen as an entrance
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:58 PM
I just can't get my head around loving a dog and it not living with you indoors, mine need cuddles and to be involved in everything we do or they get upset and I think they feel left out. Even when they have choice of being outdoors or in they tend to go indoors, it's very common for me to be sitting in the garden with them as I read a book only to look up and find myself alone as they have slunk back in onto the sofa as it's comfier than grass to sleep on.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Under the 1975 Guard Dog Act Guard dogs have to be kept by a licence holder.

A dog cannot be kept on a chain & simply called a guard dog as they have to have a handler with them unless they are in a kennel & run.

A dog on a chain isn't a deterrent to serious thieves & makes the dog vulnerable to abuse.

There was a lady in Scotland who kept three Roties as guard dogs & they slept in the kitchen of her farmhouse, sadly they couldn't protect her from the murderer who broke in & killed her as he didn't use the kitchen as an entrance
Did you even read the post? The dog is not chained up and left to guard... It sounds like a well loved and cared for pet. Maybe the better description should be a 'watch dog'.
Page 6 of 50 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »