View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Not something I like to see tbh, and none of mine would like it at all. I am puzzled about a chain though as a guard dog that cannot reach a burglar seems a bit like a chocolate tea pot.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2012, 11:05 AM
I have no problem with dogs living outside, if they have shelter and interaction with owners.

I know people who keep their dogs in kennels, But keeping one on a chain all the time , I do have a problem with,

I don't think its cruel, but for me its unacceptable , i also don't buy the to much land to keep her in excuse either.

You say she is allowed freedom when the owner is out, she goes to the pub (so she must be well behaved) so why not just leave her in the house when she cant be watched.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i know alot of people dont agree with dogs being chained up outside and living out there, and although its not something i could do i dont think, after visiting a friend, i dont think there is anything wrong with it, providing the dog is looked after.

my friend has a rottweiler who has always lived outside. they have a farm, and the rottweiler is seen as a guard dog (not that she did much guarding she was lay sunbathing when i got there)

she has a kennel with straw as bedding, and she has quite a long chain (couldnt tell you the length im useless at guessing measurements) she has her water bowl there, and she gets fed there.

she is loosed into the yard a couple of times a day, as well as walked. she often accompanies the owners to the pub, and on rides out, and is really fussed and loved.

i just thought i would put the spin on there because i know some people see its cruel, but i just thought i would show that even though they are outside, doesnt mean they are any less loved than dogs that live inside

Sorry, but I think that`s a pile of poo. Even if she is your mate.
How many years has that dog been chained up then?
There`s a movement in the US to stop this practice - I`m sad you are trying to defend it.
The dog`s a cheap substitute for an alarm system.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
see i agree with this, i like my dogs in the house with me, but then people do it and their dogs are well looked after and happy. my friend who has flat coats kennels them the majority of the time. they dont live in the house (well didnt at her old house, im not too sure now she's moved) but her dogs were extremely well loved, made no difference that they lived outside.
As I said it all depend on the circumstances. If I lived rurally on a farm/small holding, had no neighbours, was around most of the day and had multiple dogs, them living outside wouldn't be much of a big deal if they were out and about with me for most of the day.

Right now we have a small garden and are surrounded by neighbours. In this situation, the idea of confining my dogs to a kennel 24/7 apart from walks is awful to me.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 11:07 AM
It is no secret that my OH's working collies live outside and are kept on chains when not working (there have been enough comments/threads on it in the past). It is not something I would want for my companion dogs, but his dogs are perfectly happy doing what they were bred for every day of their lives and then having a warm, secure, weatherproof bed for when at rest.

The Estate have recently paid for a block of kennels with runs though and once they are completed the collies will be in those. It will be interesting to see whether they prefer the enclosed runs to their chains.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

06-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Not something I like to see tbh, and none of mine would like it at all. I am puzzled about a chain though as a guard dog that cannot reach a burglar seems a bit like a chocolate tea pot.
I agree, the only thing that chaining a dog will do is make it more territorial, maybe that's the reason. the barking wild rotti on the end of a chain.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

06-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
There`s a movement in the US to stop this practice - I`m sad you are trying to defend it.
My point exactly!!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I have no problem with dogs living outside, if they have shelter and interaction with owners.

I know people who keep their dogs in kennels, But keeping one on a chain all the time , I do have a problem with,

I don't think its cruel, but for me its unacceptable , i also don't buy the to much land to keep her in excuse either.

You say she is allowed freedom when the owner is out, she goes to the pub (so she must be well behaved) so why not just leave her in the house when she cant be watched.
she doesnt have freedom when the owner is out. she has freedom when there is someone there to watch her. and i didnt say too much land, i said the fact that there is a road in between it that the wouldnt want the dog getting on to because of traffic. i dont know why she isnt left in the house, her mum has never had animals in the house, so i presume thats why shes kept outside.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Generally speaking, I don't think the average pet dog in suburbia should be living outdoors. I live near two Australian Cattle Dogs who are kenneled outdoors 24/7 (their garden backs on to a public footpath) with the occasional walk on the lead. I find it heartbreaking that these poor dogs are stuck barking and pacing in a kennel with nothing but a concrete floor to stare at.

Personally I don't get why anyone would want to keep a pet dog outside. My dogs are my companions and I love having them in the house with me. I would hate to have to go and stand in the garden with them any time I wanted to spend any time with them -- what is the point? I might as well get a rabbit!
I suppose it depends how it's done. I know someone whose 2 dogs aren't allowed in the house at all. But then he's outdoors pretty much all day every day and his dogs are with him from about 6am till 8pm or later. They're well trained, get tons of exercise and a lot of interaction with him and despite not being allowed in the house have a great life. Probably a better life than a lot of pet dogs who do live in the house to be honest.

I wouldn't want to keep my dog outside but I don't see anything wrong with keeping a dog like he does. Course not everyone is lucky enough to be able to spend all that time with their dog even if they want to.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
think the dog is 3 now, maybe a bit older im not sure. so is keeping her on a chain different to keeping her in a kennel and run? i dont really see the difference, and plenty of people use kennels and runs.
she doesnt get used as an alarm system (she didnt even bark when i went in, just looked and wagged her tail then i went and said hello)
im not trying to defend it, like i said its something i wouldnt do, but the dog is a happy dog and is well looked after. i see no issue with that.
Page 2 of 50 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »