View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-08-2005, 12:14 PM
I had the flatcoat for about 4 months then got the golden, both are boys and there is only 6 months between them. They werent my first dogs and I didnt find it that hard actually, although the gap from when we got the flatcoat to when we got the other puppy, the flatcoat was going to training classes right from the start, I was home during the day and dont have any young children so I was lucky in that respect.

Both my dogs are entire and have never had a major fight, they've had tifs but it's only been when one has had the bone and the other wants it, both get on very well though and cuddle up together a lot.

I myself would never get two puppies from the same litter only because the amount of work it would take frightens me a bit We got ours used to being apart right from the beginning just in case of one of them ever needed an emergency vet trip and the other would be pining at home. Which has come in very handy as the flattie seems to be the one who loves the vets ! He's had his hips scored but he had to had a puppy tooth removed at the same time, he's had a lump removed from his chin as well oh and he was bitten by an adder two summers ago. The golden only goes for vaccinations

They went to seperate training classes and often I would only take the flattie out on walks when the golden was too young to come along, so he was left at home with my OH. However the golden is very easy going and never been a problem, it's the flattie that had seperation anxiety, never mind he had doggy company. He's fine now. The golden has never cared if he was left on his own. But the amount of damage the flatcoat did to the house, I shudder to think what it would have been like with two
bale844
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-09-2005, 08:10 PM
i have a 13 weeks old staff pup + a 8 month old human baby - is that similar lol?!?!?!
its most definatly hard especially with the toilet + dog training - but will be worth it to watch them growing up together!!!! jo xx
franc1987
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-09-2005, 08:51 PM
We always regretted not getting two from Mollys litter instead of just the one.

But at the time we never new we would end up with two dogs as we have always had only 1 dog in the family.

On a training basis if you are planning on getting two dogs i would always go for two dogs same age (or from the same litter) because i think it would be easier for training e.tc. Now we have Bo who is 2 and doesnt no sweet FA and Molly who is 3 and eager to please showing us all the tricks in the book.

Molly never gave Bo a chance to show her tricks so the poor lil thing just gave up.

For example Molly does
  • Sit
  • Paw
  • Other Paw
  • Down
  • Roll Over
  • Jump
  • Stay
  • Wait
  • retrieve
  • drop
  • heal
  • recall
Bo does:
  • Sit
  • Stay
  • wait (only sometimes)
  • heal (when she feels like it)
  • recall (sometimes)
  • retrieve (sometimes)

So in comparrison there is a lot of things that we needed to teach Bo. Looking back we really should have seperated them and taught Bo seperatley.
Sarah L
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-09-2005, 07:00 PM
I think it would be ok for to have two together. I waited about a year between each of mine so they had their own separate training etc but I don't think it would be a major problem. But than again, the adolescent stage might be
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

15-09-2005, 07:32 AM
I`ve always had 2 together but thru circumstances! I used to work at home & now I`m just at home
Hard work yes & I`ve had to rely on family to help out with taking them out seperately & when they were young had to do training/taking out when a family member could stay with the other one, but I now have 4 males & 6 girls that have never had a fight. 2 eldest males 3mths age difference sleep together & all the 4 males stay together. Harmony is the first pup I`ve had on her own & one thing I`ve noticed is how extremely tolerant of her my other dogs are, every one of them
It depends on the breed & the amount of time you can give them, also the experience you have of dogs yourself, not impossible but a challenge
ste.n.steph
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-09-2005, 10:19 AM
i guess it depends, we have had 2 puppies at the same time they were 9 weeks old both ckcs and they got on fine we had a few problems but just normally puppy stuff, but we have no kids at the moment so it might be easier for me than someone with kids, saying that we did have our 3 other dogs too lol
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2005, 10:54 AM
I kept 2 pups from my vet first litter and it wasn't until they reached around 11 months old that problems started, we ended up rehoming one which I hated doing but had I not, I think they would of ended up killing each other.
pete678
New Member!
Male 

16-11-2009, 01:51 AM
I am buying a male lab akc; I am considering buying two and they are brothers, same litter. Any thoughts on the pros and cons?
Some people say there might be fighting but i think its the same as two human brothers you just have to watch them or is it worse?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by pete678 View Post
I am buying a male lab akc; I am considering buying two and they are brothers, same litter. Any thoughts on the pros and cons?
Some people say there might be fighting but i think its the same as two human brothers you just have to watch them or is it worse?
Personally I would not do it - especially coming up to Christmas.

It is more than double the work.

Where people think the pups will be company for each other they often will be, but not until they are 18months-2 years old (if they have not started fighting)

Especially with bigger, more excitable breeds, it would be difficult and dangerous to leave them together due to the way they will start to play.
Any puppies that are of a similar age, and especially litter mates can form a much stronger bond with each other that they do with you, due to the fact thet they have never been seperated. So from the start the puppies must have seperate walks and seperate training times.

I have had a few people who ave been through classes (and we ourselves had 2 lab litter mates for 11 months) who have all said never again, but these people have put in hours of work for the first 2 years.

The other...often sad side of it, is that 2 dogs of a similar age are likely to leave this world close together as well....its hard when one goes to the bridge....something else to think about.

My advice would always be to wait until one pup is 18months-2 years and you have a good relationship and training basis, then you will find the dog will help in training the youngster.
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by pete678 View Post
Not something I would recommend. I would disagree that they are like human brothers. Caring for one puppy properly is extremely time consuming and needs endless patience. A friend of mine got two beagle puppies. They are OK now (they are four years old now) but she said she would never, ever get two puppies again. People I know and also who I meet on walks with two dogs generally have them 18 months to 2 years apart.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >