Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
It simply boils down to this.

Would you let your child loose in the car and have it's head sticking out the window up to 40mph? No. So why would you let your dog?
Well we certainly wouldn't but sadly it is almost an everyday occurance to see kids loose in a car - children are supposed to be the most valuable things you own and our dogs are too so are always secured in the back of the car.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Yes I do. The only way I can fit the dogs in the back of my car is to have the seats down, which means they can stick their heads out of the back window. They love it and like you say once we get over 40mph they duck back in and I close the window. I don't have the window down far enough for them to get out and don't find any of the risks stated by people (gravel flying into their eyes, getting hit by a passing vehicle etc) to be of a significant enough risk (eg I find the risks to be very small) to consider stopping them from doing it.I know this opinion won't be popular, but hey, we're all entitled to do as we please.
That small risk is a risk to big, for me!!

Would you let your child loose in the car and have it's head sticking out the window up to 40mph? No. So why would you let your dog?
Something I never can understand, is you would not risk a child or allow an adult to do this or be unbelted in the car, but you would allow your dogs to do it.
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Yes I do. The only way I can fit the dogs in the back of my car is to have the seats down, which means they can stick their heads out of the back window. They love it and like you say once we get over 40mph they duck back in and I close the window. I don't have the window down far enough for them to get out and don't find any of the risks stated by people (gravel flying into their eyes, getting hit by a passing vehicle etc) to be of a significant enough risk (eg I find the risks to be very small) to consider stopping them from doing it.
I know this opinion won't be popular, but hey, we're all entitled to do as we please.
WHAT????? yes we are all entitled to do as we please, but FGS think about your dogs - to them the risk could mean the difference between life and death...would they risk it if they knew the dangers?????
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 09:12 AM
i think its very easy to judge others ,it depends on your dog and your car situation..

When we first got Bruno we had a saloon car and had no choice but to have him on the back seat and we would open the window open, many many people have seen the photo of Bruno in his doggles on here with his head out the window - thats how he would travel and perfectly happily.

Whenever we strapped him in using the seatbelt and car harness he would chew through it - and once chewed throught the seatbelt - that can get very expensive. So in fairness it was just easier to have him loose on the seat - he didnt jump about too much etc.

From a safety point of view it wasnt ideal but it was the only thing we could do if we had him in the car at that point.

Once we got a hatchback with the option of putting him in the boot and with the baby on the way we decided to train him into the boot behind a dog guard,. It took a while and 3 dog guards later he stays behind it now.

But I can totally understand why some people choose to let their dogs do this. I used to be one of them, so cant condemn anyone for it.

I dont like to see dogs swimming really in the sea as I worry they would get into trouble and drown - but loads of people judge that as acceptable and weigh up the risk.. its just one of those situations where we all do things differently.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 09:41 AM
I guess you could argue the point that anything you do with your dog has risks and agree with the swimming in the sea thing as as an example.

Monty doesn't do swimming but if he did and went swimming in the sea I'd feel on edge because the current and tide can change and he might not be able to get back and as I can't swim then there would be nothing I could do.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Here in Orkney, a few years ago, a woman let her dog swim out so far that it couldn't get back - it got swept away. It was very fortunate that a passer-by had a mobile, and called 999. Even more luckily, the local lifeboat was returning from an exercise, and was able to divert and rescue the pooch.

Both Kali and Snorri loved going in the sea, but they liked to keep their toes on the bottom. They were not allowed off-lead when there was any roughness.

Snorri
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Ruby and Dyson love the sea and swim everyday; well Dyson does and usually Ruby gets in. Last year in the local village there was a black Labrador that kept making his own way to the shore and swimming straight out towards the Isle of Wight; sadly for him he kept getting too tired and the local Lifeboat would go out and collect him. The owners were instructed to ensure that they would be charged in future and whilst they had secured their garen the dog was so keen to go on his hollibobs for the day that he would run up the 6' fence and then jump over. He has finally been restrained poor sea-dog!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 08:40 PM
I can't find the report but the ex-copper I met this week said even at 30mph a loose dog in the car, on heavy breaking will slam into you with the force of an elephant. That, coupled with the airbag going off means a certain fatality, to both parties.

That would be significant enough risk to me.

LOL!
My dogs aren't loose in the car.

I'm not going to get into the whole "would you let your child" thing, for personal reasons.

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
That small risk is a risk to big, for me!!
That's nice, thanks for telling me that.

Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
[/COLOR]WHAT????? yes we are all entitled to do as we please, but FGS think about your dogs - to them the risk could mean the difference between life and death...would they risk it if they knew the dangers?????
We all risk our dogs lives everyday simply by living with them and owning them. You view this risk as very high, I don't. I've personally determined this risk as very minimal, otherwise I wouldn't let them do it. I don't believe all the scaremongering that you get on forums, I prefer to judge the risk depending upon my own experience and abilities. The whole "difference between life or death" that's your opinion only, you've never met me or my dogs so as far as I know it's not possible for you to accurately state this.

Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
i think its very easy to judge others ,it depends on your dog and your car situation..

When we first got Bruno we had a saloon car and had no choice but to have him on the back seat and we would open the window open, many many people have seen the photo of Bruno in his doggles on here with his head out the window - thats how he would travel and perfectly happily.

Whenever we strapped him in using the seatbelt and car harness he would chew through it - and once chewed throught the seatbelt - that can get very expensive. So in fairness it was just easier to have him loose on the seat - he didnt jump about too much etc.

From a safety point of view it wasnt ideal but it was the only thing we could do if we had him in the car at that point.

Once we got a hatchback with the option of putting him in the boot and with the baby on the way we decided to train him into the boot behind a dog guard,. It took a while and 3 dog guards later he stays behind it now.

But I can totally understand why some people choose to let their dogs do this. I used to be one of them, so cant condemn anyone for it.

I dont like to see dogs swimming really in the sea as I worry they would get into trouble and drown - but loads of people judge that as acceptable and weigh up the risk.. its just one of those situations where we all do things differently.
Isn't it just, but thankfully I'm not the type to really care what others think. Especially when they've never met me and know nothing about me!

Interesting thing about the sea, I've never really thought about it tbh. I think with having gundogs that are generally confident swimmers I've never worried about it. It's another thing that depends entirely on your own experience, the dogs ability and the sea itself. Nothing in this world is black and white, yet people insist on judging others like it's one shade of grey.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Interesting thing about the sea, I've never really thought about it tbh. I think with having gundogs that are generally confident swimmers I've never worried about it. It's another thing that depends entirely on your own experience, the dogs ability and the sea itself. Nothing in this world is black and white, yet people insist on judging others like it's one shade of grey.
Whereas I think my concrete block head would sink like a stone if he was even brave enough to dip his toe in - which he pretty much isnt !!! Far too much like hard work for Bruno.... when we used to take him to hydrotherapy his floatsuit was the only thing keeping him from sinking !!! LOL
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
Whereas I think my concrete block head would sink like a stone if he was even brave enough to dip his toe in - which he pretty much isnt !!! Far too much like hard work for Bruno.... when we used to take him to hydrotherapy his floatsuit was the only thing keeping him from sinking !!! LOL
Aww bless him, I can just imagine his expression when you put his floatsuit on him!
Page 6 of 49 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »