Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-05-2010, 05:39 AM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
I hate to play devil's advocate but it does say in their adoption procedures that although they believe it is okay for dogs to be left home alone for 4 hours at a time, this is sometimes too long for some of the dogs they get in. The cocker that you said you applied for is described as having lost trust in people due to a family crisis & being rehomed so perhaps he is just one of those dogs that they do not feel can cope in a house where he is going to be left for more than an hour or two.

I'm not disputing that it's ridiculous the way lots of rescues reject people because they aren't home 24/7 but I do get the feeling Many Tears are probably doing this for a reason, sorry
Of course they are doing it for a reason and of course the dogs trust needs building up but if you read it again it makes it clear it is already being left for 2 hours with its fosterer who has not had it for long, a gradual build up to 4 hours could have been achieved easily (i was prepared to get my partners Dad in every day until the dog was more confident and gradually build up the time), when the dog was asleep in the kitchen all night with his 2 companions, how long is that alone 6 or 7 hours.
So who has the dog now?, i hazard a guess, a retired couple maybe, can they really offer a 10 month old cocker the physical outdoors lifestyle i can, a worker from home maybe, can they offer the dog full attention when working, maybe a stay at home mum or dad, well they have to go out sometimes, shopping, childrens activities and others.
Everyone person who offers a dog a home is a compromise, we all have things to do or are lacking in one area or another, unless you are a very fit, outdoors type, enough funds that you never have to work, understand a dogs psychology, are very dog experienced, have unlimited patience. I do not see many of them about when i visit my local rescue centre, what i see is people with all kind of situations wishing to give a dog a good home
Many Tears decision was based on may years of experience but sometimes it is easy to get lost with strict dogma (no pun intended), they did not even wish to discuss the matter, i think i know the reason why but i will keep that opinion to myself.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 06:18 AM
I understand your frustration, hon, I tried to rehome one from a local rescue and they turned me down flat. I do work full time, but I'm home at lunchtime and OH is home mid afternoon, and I already have two dogs that cope with this just fine. The rehome was an older staffie cross and would have fitted in lovely.....

Hugs hon x
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 07:36 AM
I recently rehomed a puppy from Many Tears, I work from home so am with him all day apart from the 30 mins he is home when I do the horses in a morning till he can come with me and when I go out to the post office about an hour a week.
Maybe Many Tears think you would be better with a slightly older dog that is happy to be left, they have so many dogs go into them, and have a few returned from homes to them, it's distressing for the dog and they just want to make sure the dogs go to the right home first time so they don't end up going back again, I wouldn't take it personally.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-05-2010, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
I recently rehomed a puppy from Many Tears, I work from home so am with him all day apart from the 30 mins he is home when I do the horses in a morning till he can come with me and when I go out to the post office about an hour a week.
Maybe Many Tears think you would be better with a slightly older dog that is happy to be left, they have so many dogs go into them, and have a few returned from homes to them, it's distressing for the dog and they just want to make sure the dogs go to the right home first time so they don't end up going back again, I wouldn't take it personally.
I have not taken it personally i just think it is ridiculous, the dog sleeps in the kitchen with the fosterers other 2 so therefore the dog is to all sense and purposes alone as they deem alone during the night, i have spoken to a few friends of mine and looked on the net and their seems to be some doubt that dogs can differentiate between 1 hour and extended hours obviously a dogs physical needs need to be taken in to account such as food and eliminating that food remember i was prepared to get the same person each time to build the trust to come in and look after him after 2 hours slowly building to 4 over months, plus i was prepared to book off a few weeks to ease him in.
I have no problem with Many Tears and i am sure they have done a great job over the years but i think they maybe should have talked to me first before they e-mailed and said no, maybe they are too busy to do this i do not know, the bottom line and all that really matters is that the dog in question has a home, it would have been difficult for me anyway as we are not sure our male border will accept a male dog so it may not have worked at the initial meeting, i just think it is sad that people in good homes are being denied an opportunity to rehome a dog due to what i believe is a misguided attitude towards what a dog needs but i do not work in a rescue centre so these are my opinions and not facts.
I will find the right dog or maybe it will find me, we have a home and lifestyle that is geared towards an energetic, outward bound dog who will be loved, trained, fed and provided with friends to hang out with, i am sure many dogs would love to apply.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Every rescue has a different approach. I`ve never been unlucky enough to have fallen foul of rules although I have been turned down as a fosterer. (Although I admit I do tend to get the dogs other people are very glad to see the back of )
The dog for you is out there - don`t let this put you off.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
Of course they are doing it for a reason and of course the dogs trust needs building up but if you read it again it makes it clear it is already being left for 2 hours with its fosterer who has not had it for long, a gradual build up to 4 hours could have been achieved easily (i was prepared to get my partners Dad in every day until the dog was more confident and gradually build up the time), when the dog was asleep in the kitchen all night with his 2 companions, how long is that alone 6 or 7 hours.
So who has the dog now?, i hazard a guess, a retired couple maybe, can they really offer a 10 month old cocker the physical outdoors lifestyle i can, a worker from home maybe, can they offer the dog full attention when working, maybe a stay at home mum or dad, well they have to go out sometimes, shopping, childrens activities and others.
Everyone person who offers a dog a home is a compromise, we all have things to do or are lacking in one area or another, unless you are a very fit, outdoors type, enough funds that you never have to work, understand a dogs psychology, are very dog experienced, have unlimited patience. I do not see many of them about when i visit my local rescue centre, what i see is people with all kind of situations wishing to give a dog a good home
Many Tears decision was based on may years of experience but sometimes it is easy to get lost with strict dogma (no pun intended), they did not even wish to discuss the matter, i think i know the reason why but i will keep that opinion to myself.
I can understand you're frustrated & yes, owning any dog involves compromising in some way but maybe this was a compromise that they just didn't think would work for the dog. You could build up the time he's left for of course & your partner's father could also come in to stay with the dog but I assume that none of this was on the adoption form. Perhaps it would be wise to email them and inform them of this so they can make a more informed decision as to whether you'd offer a suitable home for the cocker.

At the end of the day, maybe giving a simple 'Yes you're suitable for this dog' or 'No you're not suitable for this dog' is too strict but it is probably easier for them than having to email every applicant questions as to how they will tackle such and such a problem, waiting for the reply, possibly emailing again & then deciding if they're suitable. I'm not saying that this is a fair way to look at prospective new owners but from what I can see they do tend to look at whether the owner is going to be suitable for the dog, rather than just saying 'Anyone who works X hours is unsuitable for all our dogs' and as such, it is unfair to group them in with other rescues who will treat prospective owners in such a way.
BellaStorm
New Member!
Female 

21-06-2010, 09:24 AM
Mind you, I've been horrified when ready the Many Tears website (and other rescues), by how many dogs are returned within a few days (or even 24 hours) because the dog din't quite 'fit in' with the adopters lifestyle. Reasons such as 'pulled on the lead', for god's sakes.

Clearly, the rescue doesn't always get it right (not their fault) in rehoming, so perhaps that's why they try so be as strict as possible.

I have a rescued dog - we are his third family. It took him some time to settle in (he's rather nervy), but his previous family situation had made it worse, because of the busy nature of their lives and the fact that they lived in a busy suburban area. I guess these rescues know the dogs quite well, and will have tried hard to fit them with the best possible family. If they found someone they consider to be more appropriate, then surely that's an end to it. Move on to the next one.
misshbee
New Member!
Female 

06-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Many Tears turned us down for multiple reasons:
1. Because our house is in the countryside, it is set in it's own plot, therefore the back and the front garden is not separate.
2. Our fence is not over 6ft tall
3. Our front gate did not have a lock on it.
4. He would be in an only dog family (later disputed by the fosterer who said that he was not bothered by other dogs.)

These conditions seems ridiculous, but with much perseverance from us, our home assessor and the dog's foster home, we were eventually allowed to adopt our springer spaniel. We have also owned the breed before.

The process was long and drawn out and on multiple occasions we were told we could go pick him up, to only be phoned hours later by Many Tears, raising an issue with our application.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 11:29 AM
I can understand why rescues have strict policies about rehoming dogs but what I don't understand is this working malarchy especially when it's part-time like you. I think in this day of struggling households, some rescues need to loosen their criteria about working. I understand that it wouldn't be fair to leave a dog for hours on end but many more people are having to work due to the increased cost of living so if this is their criteria for not rehoming a dog, then there will be many more dogs in rescue.
There may have been more to this than they let on, such as the dog having issues, but they should have made this perfectly clear.
I'm afraid all of my dogs wouldn't be with me now if we had to abide by those rules. Jenny was rehomed 3 times before we had her...people couldn't cope with her..yet if she was with Many Tears...we would not have been given her. Yet now she is happy, content and has 5 little brothers and sisters to play with!! I really think the guidelines should be there but each case should be judged on individual merits...not by a bunch of ridiculous rules. No wonder people are going to breeders instead of rescuing.....it's ridiculous!
We homed a lurcher who'd been in rescue for 2 years...no one wanted him. We rehomed him to a guy who lives in a flat and works self employed. Now Ben is the happiest I've EVER seen him, he looks amazing and is loved beyond all belief!! He also gets walked 4 miles a day! Is it better that he stayed in rescue because his owner didn't fit the criteria? I think not!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 11:36 AM
I can see that with some dog's issues it would be advisable to rehome them to someone where they would not be left and have time for a person to deal with the dog's emotional/behavioural issues but a blanket ban on workers adopting dogs seems ridiculous.

If I did not work (part-time) there is no way I could afford to keep my dogs!

I had a good experience when we applied to breed rescue and ended up getting Cherry and Parker. We were messed about by the first dog we were offered as the breeder changed his mind at the last moment about rehoming her It just wasn't meant to be though it seemed very hard at the time and I remember crying all day.
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >