Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
Really sorry hun, I know some rescues would turn me down, as I will not neuter my boys unless for health reasons, my Pointer will be spayed soon though... I am sure you will find a rescue soon, not all of them have the same policies
Both my dogs which i had from puppies have been nuetered/speyed so that is fine with all the rehoming orgs, they are microchipped,insured both attended dog training, they have 3 walks a day, 1 of 2 hours and 2 of 1 hour, they have just has a magnificent week on Angelsey last month, they never miss a holiday with us, i work part time specifically because of my dogs, my partner works full time to facilitate their care. I would gladly have arranged for my partners grandad to have come down to interact with the dog half way through my work if they felt 2 hours were more appropriate but it was just a straight 'no'
They have more experience than me and they know the dog better so i will not condemn them out of hand but it does seem weird to me, i just hope he gets a good home soon.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Astle I note they say 'this dog' a few weeks may not be enough for this puppy, at 10 month he may have already developed some behavioural problems that require a lot of attention .

Not wishing to sound harsh but whose needs should a rescue put first, those of the dog being re-homed or those of the prospective owner. I would hope the needs of this puppy come first.

I am sure the right dog for you is out there waiting somewhere
I agree with you but if you go on the many tears website and scroll down you will see Benny the black cocker spaniel and read his description, does it say anything to you about any issues apart from resource guarding which i have dealt with before with my dogs, it says left for 2 hours i agree but implies that this is the minimum and this could be built to 4 easily, and as i have said i would gladly have arranged for someone to visit after 2 hours in order to build this up.
I agree the needs of the dog come first at all times i have no argument with that and all i have lost is a little bit of excitement i felt about giving him a home but they should make it more clear if this dog has serious seperation anxiety and i would not have wasted their valuable time.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Puppies need good homes as well. If you can't rescue then enjoy a pup and maybe rescue when you retire!

rune
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
i think she is with the springer rescue group and i have looked at their site, i think my requirements are too specific and maybe i should loosen up, my male border we feel will only accept a bitch (he is nuetered) and also my female lurcher x is very subservient to other dogs so she is less of a problem, due to the fact we are a very active family i do not think it would be fair to rehome an older dog who may wish to slow down in life so that means a younger dog and not many of them are in rescue.I am still in the process of working out these rescue orgs, we rehomed our old boy 14 years ago and things seemed a little less rigid back then, sadly our old boy has gone and we wanted to honour him by giving a rescue a fresh start but i think it is looking like a puppy sometime late this year or early next.
I don't think there is anything wrong in having specific requirements in order to ensure that the new dog fits in with your own. But I don't think you should underestimate an older dog - it will depend on the breed and the individual dog, but there are many that remain active and enthusiastic well into their teens. The right 3-5 year old would keep up very well for many years.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Puppies need good homes as well. If you can't rescue then enjoy a pup and maybe rescue when you retire!

rune
very true but it is a strange world when a dog cannot be left for 4 hours with 2 of its own kind after a huge walk and it being in the middle of the day, it may be me but i think the world has gone mad, sadly as well retiring is now 70 and i doubt if i will be walking a cocker or springer the distances they need at 70.
I think i will enjoy a pup but still keep looking as people have said some rescue orgs have different policies.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong in having specific requirements in order to ensure that the new dog fits in with your own. But I don't think you should underestimate an older dog - it will depend on the breed and the individual dog, but there are many that remain active and enthusiastic well into their teens. The right 3-5 year old would keep up very well for many years.
3-5 is a great age and would be very acceptable to keep up with my 2, when i mention older dogs i should have been more specific, i mean dogs who are at the stage where they do not want young dogs around them.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
3-5 is a great age and would be very acceptable to keep up with my 2, when i mention older dogs i should have been more specific, i mean dogs who are at the stage where they do not want young dogs around them.
I'd be extremely surprised then if you couldn't find a dog in rescue that suites your needs. Pups under a year old are more sought after since most people think they will be 'more their dog' the younger they get them (though having rescued dogs of various ages, I know that age doesn't make any difference to how they bond with you).
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 08:14 PM
if you're prepared for one to come along we should be able to help, springers are just coming in to their prime at 5ish my lot range 4 - 6 and they have no problems with the pupster
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
if you're prepared for one to come along we should be able to help, springers are just coming in to their prime at 5ish my lot range 4 - 6 and they have no problems with the pupster
Hello, do you represent the springer rescue organisation, the one with the mainly blue and white website.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 08:40 PM
I was once turned down by them.........I went all the way to Wales too because at the time I didn't have a lead on my eldest Border Collie

However since then I have been excepted to foster for them but thats been put on hold because we rescued Tess......will go for it once Tess is a wee bit more less full on
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »