Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-11-2013, 04:45 PM

Girl dies after dog attack in Mountsorrel, Leicestershire

Mountsorrel girl, four, dies after being bitten by dog

A four-year-old girl has died in hospital after being bitten by a dog.

Officers were called to a flat in Rowena Court in Mountsorrel, Leicestershire, at about 12:15 GMT to reports of a dog attack on a child.

Lexi Branson was taken to the Queen's Medical Centre in Nottingham where she later died.

The dog, believed to be a family pet, died shortly afterwards, but details of how it died have not been released by police.

In a statement, Leicestershire Police said they did not believe the dog "was of a breed listed under Section 1 of the Dangerous Dogs Act".

Inquiries are at an early stage and the force declined to give further details.

Neighbours' shock

Arthur Nash, a neighbour of the family on Rowena Court, said: "Everybody is in shock at the moment with her dying.

"When I saw an ambulance pull up I thought it was an old lady on the court who had had a heart attack and then the neighbour came up and said [the girl] had been killed by the dog."

Gloria Longmire , a secretary at Mountsorrel Methodist Church, who walks her dogs in nearby Cross Lane, added: "I would say we do have a strong community here and people will be absolutely horrified and it's dreadful that it's a family pet."

Police officers remain at the scene and the flat has been cordoned off.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24826566
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Horrific.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 05:34 PM
This is about 3 miles from me and in next village to where my mum lives thats just awful may she rest in peace.

ps its leicestershire x
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2013, 06:47 PM
More details HERE

What I find so distressing is that the poor little girl was apparently only about five years old and that the "family pet" was, according to a neighbour, a new addition.

'I only knew the mum to say hello to, she asked me to come across to see the new dog a couple of weeks ago'

Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 07:02 PM
My heart goes out to the family, and of course it is a terrible event.

BUT, I hope that all those who whine when rescue centres refuse to rehome dogs to them because they have small children will ponder on the dangers more now.

A four year old child + possibly confused and troubled rescue dog newly arrived spells absolute disaster unless the two are supervised so closely that they are never actually allowed to touch each other.

We don't know all the details, and I do stress that I am very very sorry for the family, but I am also dreadfully sad that yet another dog has been put down when perhaps it could have been avoided. Rescue dogs can be absolutely fantastic with children, but a huge amount of time, sympathy and care is necessary before any new rescue dog can be deemed ready to mix freely with small children. One pulled ear, tail or lump of skin could spark an extreme reaction in a dog that has known abuse or neglect.

Rescue centres have their rules about no children under 13, or whatever it might be, for a very good reason indeed.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Bitkin I have an alternative 'point of view' about this problem re the 'rescues' - living as I do where they are all overflowing to bursting point. But I don't think this is the right time for me to voice it.

Will just say for starters that 'rescues' only have what the previous owner has told them to go on (initially) and not everyone is HONEST. And, that I don't understand why UK rescues bend over backwards to rehome dogs that are know to be either aggressive towards children, or other dogs, or even anyone, when there are SO MANY dogs waiting in rescue that don't have ANY of these problems and who will (in a lot of cases) be PTS if they are not rehomed.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Interesingly posters are assuming the dog was a rescue, perhaps it was simply a new bought dog. Stated to be a large dog.

I would never sell a puppy or pass a home for a rescue with very young children, unless the family & (especially ) the children were known personally to me & known to be dog savvy.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 10:48 PM
I think that they said on the evening news that it was from a rescue centre.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 11:05 PM
Yep, massive DDB apparently from a rescue centre or pound... only had it a few weeks
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2013, 09:02 AM
I saw this on the news - it's just awful.

RIP little angel.
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »