Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarahe88
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-10-2012, 12:07 PM

Enclosed dog excercise areas Essex, Uk?

Hi

Does anyone know of enclosed dog areas in essex where dogs can run free without the worry of them dissapearing?

Our dog knows recall but sometimes he just refuses to come back

Thanks

Sarah
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2012, 12:51 PM
You might want to try looking for
- enclosed tennis fields that you can use outside of operational hours, or hire out for personal use
- quiet parks that are completely fenced in - perhaps use Google maps to spot them from satellite view incase you didn't know they exist (my nan only found out this year about a large park that's been a few road's walk from her because I moved opposite her and found it on my escapades with the dogs!)
- school fields that would be happy for you to use them outside of school hours
- sports centres, football clubs, community centres, etc. with fenced in land you could use
- if you're not fussed about grass, even large secure carparks could be considered if you can get permission
- horse stables, empty grazing fields (try joining a horse forum or looking in an equestrian magazine)
- boarding kennels, rescues (I think Dogs Trust often have fields they let the public use for this sort of purpose), etc. who may let you use their ground
- dog training classes/clubs

I ended up putting a 'wanted' ad on my local Freecycle and had some people recommend local parks with fenced in dog areas, and also a trainer who offered to let me use the field they train on outside of class hours (unfortunately hit a hitch with the insurance on that one) so could be worth putting an appeal on your local Freecycle?

If you don't use one already, you might want to invest in a longline and harness to give him some extra freedom while keeping him safe. Also, this year I took up running so I could take my dogs out and break walking pace, but have them safely on-lead (I hook them up around my waist so I can run hands-free), we're all enjoying it quite a bit
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2012, 01:07 PM
I think madmare is in Essex and rents a field out for her Greyhounds. Hopefully she will see this.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I think madmare is in Essex and rents a field out for her Greyhounds. Hopefully she will see this.
Yep, she does - you beat me to it Labradork!
Sarahe88
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Thank all for the advise, I joined the forum because I saw her post and by chance she lived in Essex too but unfortunately the field has new owners with horses on it

I have the harness and long lead but becasue he is part pointer and doberman he needs a good run around to get rid of his energy. I even tried a horse training lead but it was too long and when he got a run up it was very dangerous for me and him

We are taking Rufus to London next weekend to the Paddington Recreational Ground with the dog area to try but we cant keep going there everyweek lol! I have ask training dog places but they always have insurance issues.

Thanks Sarah
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Where in Essex are you? We're in Colchester
(despite my thingie saying Guildford...it's complicated!)
Sarahe88
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by Tessabelle View Post
Where in Essex are you? We're in Colchester
(despite my thingie saying Guildford...it's complicated!)
We live near Clacton
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-10-2012, 09:52 PM
You're just up the road! I will ask my OH if he knows of anywhere that would be good for you. Bentley never strays far but just very occasionally he makes me have a heart attack and bolts and doesn't come back for 10minutes (which feels like an eternity) so I know what you mean
Would be lovely to see some pics of your furbaby
Sarahe88
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Tessabelle View Post
You're just up the road! I will ask my OH if he knows of anywhere that would be good for you. Bentley never strays far but just very occasionally he makes me have a heart attack and bolts and doesn't come back for 10minutes (which feels like an eternity) so I know what you mean
Would be lovely to see some pics of your furbaby
that would be great, let me know if they know of anywhere! Its annoying that my bf is a manager of a sports centre and has a completely enclosed field! But no dogs are allowed. Bentley is a lovely name for a dog. Rufus is improving. When we first rescued him he would bolt and wouldnt come back. We would have to go get him and he is hard to find as he blends in, but now at least he does come back eventually! and he has a bright orange coat which helps lol! Sometimes he isnt far away but he ignores us which is so frustrating! He just loves to sniff. I have put a pic of him as my profile pic...
honeytone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2012, 12:14 PM
I know it's not an answer to your question, but do you run, or have you ever considered taking up running? If so then perhaps you could try Canicross with your dog.

Canicross can be anything from just taking your dog for a run on a normal collar and leash, to, with a bit of training, runner and dog working together as a team - the dog assisting by pulling out front, in a proper harness and using a bungee assisted line.

http://www.sara-runningwiththepack.c...canicross.html

After searching for a secure exercise area for our Beagle, and drawing complete blanks, I decided the best way to manage his exercise was to run with him attached to me. I started completely from scratch (I couldn't even run for a bus!), and now we do lots of trail running together, and even compete in Canicross races.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >