Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 09:27 PM

Longest walk ever?

In one day, what is the longest you and your dog have walked for? It doesn't have to be all at once, it can be several walks - just how long were you out with your dog...

Travelling does not count as it is not walking.

6-7 hours is the longest. The tuesday just gone I was rather bored and the dogs were too energetic, we went on a 3 hour walk in the morning with some friends (1 human, 2 dogs) from training class and then they were still bouncing off the wall, so Leanne took us out for another 3-4 hours walk, the dogs didn't get out of bed yesterday morning until 1pm.

Now please understand these dogs are used to this kind of exercise - I didn't just plunge them into it and I think they were being lazy yesterday - I was the one in pain (I'm not used to hills!)

So whats the longest walk you've ever been on?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Iv'e not really thought about it but around 6 hours in one go is probably the longest, I havent checked that walk in miles.... The six hours included the beach and stopping for an hour or more for lunch that day too though.

I know 7 miles on the flat takes about 2 hours.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 09:35 PM
not a walk as such, but my dogs spend time with me up at the horse field whilst I am doing jobs.

Longest Cooper has been out with me was 6 hours, longest Sam and Beck have been out with us is about 12 hours.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 09:37 PM
I've done longer walks in the past, no idea how far or for how long. I did a massive all day walk along the South Downs Way when I was at school, but only because it was a sponsored one and I was forced to.

I've never done 'proper' long walks or day hikes with the dogs. I get bored of walking after a couple of hours, so it doesn't really appeal to me at all. I would never do what you did for example -- 3 hours in the morning and 3-4 in the evening, that is insane to me (no offense!). I wouldn't even do that amount (3 hours) once a day unless I was forced to.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Both these times happened cause I got lost...mildly lost (btw)...

Both on the same hill, the first time I was out for 4 hours, and walked around 8 miles...followed a path I'd never followed before thinking I knew where it came out...and ended up in a village which on the straight is around 4 miles away...but cause of the paths I followed I walked twice the distance.

The second time I was out for 4 hours again and walked 10 miles round the hill...again following a path I wasn't familiar with...erm...oops.

Both times Dougal and I came back shattered.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 10:17 PM
One walk probably 5-6hrs. I want to do more while im off work atm but due to stella being a puppy and having a bad back end i cant really do it. Grr
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 05:48 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I would never do what you did for example -- 3 hours in the morning and 3-4 in the evening, that is insane to me (no offense!). I wouldn't even do that amount (3 hours) once a day unless I was forced to.
Well, I like tired dogs and I had been having trouble sleeping - I slept like a baby that night I love long walks, it would get me out of cleaning my room as a younger teenager and also 'cos I'm on my own I liked the company and the chance to get out of the house and the hour one in the morning was a regular walk I take the dogs on - so the dogs get bored of it and so do I...

No offence taken

Originally Posted by valandra View Post
One walk probably 5-6hrs. I want to do more while im off work atm but due to stella being a puppy and having a bad back end i cant really do it. Grr
I was going to suggest just taking Pepsi but you'd need a dog sitter... so that idea failed before it came out..hope she gets better soon
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 06:19 AM
The longest in miles ...26 miles on BRMB Walkathon, (not Reah though ) that was with my 2 son's and some of thier friends last year, they took Dillon (Garys BC) Poppy (Stevens BC) & Skye Tess and Bruce.

In February myself and some other carers walked from Five ways Island in Birmingham to Dudley via the Birmingham road I took Skye Tess and Bruce...not sure how many miles but it took 3 hours plus.

On walks most days they do 5 - 10 miles depending on which walk we do.

PS. Just to add if they have been out for 3-4 hours on a walk I wouldn't take them again that day....sorry just read what you said at the bottom of your post, my dogs (even if they are still bouncing) only get the one long walk as for them IMO thats enough LOL
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 06:20 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I've done longer walks in the past, no idea how far or for how long. I did a massive all day walk along the South Downs Way when I was at school, but only because it was a sponsored one and I was forced to.

I've never done 'proper' long walks or day hikes with the dogs. I get bored of walking after a couple of hours, so it doesn't really appeal to me at all. I would never do what you did for example -- 3 hours in the morning and 3-4 in the evening, that is insane to me (no offense!). I wouldn't even do that amount (3 hours) once a day unless I was forced to.
Same here, I'd much rather be on a horse and let him do the walking!

Everywhere I go is an uphill climb and by the time you've walked for half an hour, you're more than ready to start coming back down again (well I am!). Might move to Norfolk!

Even when I was up at the caravan on my own with Zena, it's still on the south downs, so still climbing everywhere except the beach, so even then we only went out for hour long walks at a time. On the bike I can do a 2 hour walk in one and save my legs!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
In one day, what is the longest you and your dog have walked for? It doesn't have to be all at once, it can be several walks - just how long were you out with your dog...

6-7 hours is the longest. The tuesday just gone I was rather bored and the dogs were too energetic, we went on a 3 hour walk in the morning with some friends (1 human, 2 dogs) from training class and then they were still bouncing off the wall, so Leanne took us out for another 3-4 hours walk, the dogs didn't get out of bed yesterday morning until 1pm.

So whats the longest walk you've ever been on?
Well duration does not mean anything, you can be out with your dogs for hours and not actually walk very far at all!

The more exercise you give any animal the more it wants and needs so it is not a good strategy to "tire them out" necessarily.

Any animal, including humans, is more prone to injury when tired so I would prefer to avoid this.

My dogs would get bored just "walking" for 7 hours, they like to be "doing" things and exercising their brains.

As I work full time I don't have that amount of disposable time apart from weekends and then of course I have to fit in other things!

I have done 20 miles or so several times when going from A to B , they very often do 10 - 12 miles on the bike when fitness training.

I certainly would not do two such long walks in one day, but if you and the dogs enjoyed it it obviously suits you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >