View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BobbyBrownDog
New Member!
Male 

08-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Always important to check the label of the food you feeding your dog for the ingredients. The ingredients list is listed in order of quantity.

The main ingredients are the first ingredients listed before the fat or oil. A good quality dog food will have a 'meat' or 'meat meal' listed there. If there is a grain, wheat type ingredient then generally the food is of poorer quality and flled with ingredients that your dog doesnt really want to be eating loads of.

I found this article very useful for choosing a dog food.

[link removed]
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Pindonkey View Post
I'm not on here very often but i decided to have a browse around tonight

Please,please,please stay clear of science plan, eukanuba, pedigree, bakers and the like! HORRIBLE foods(the companies all test on animals too) and recommended by vets with little or no knowledge into what the heck they just told you to buy!

I like the grain free options. Applaws is good, as is fish4dogs, acana, orijen and so on. Adult food is perfectly fine for your little pup too so i wouldn't be too worried about feeding it, puppy food usually costs a little more £££ too.

(ill probably totally forget i came on here today so i wouldn't hold my breath for me to reply )
Without the Hills (Science diet) food my eldest Boxer is on being available, she might possibly be dead as she is in acute renal failure. There are times you have to do what is best for your 'own' animal / they are after all the most important dog in your life!

To the Poster / if you do change food please do so over 3/5 days this will reduce any likelihood of upset tummies

I too would recommend Wainwrights from PetsatHome, they do both wet & dry food
Pindonkey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Without the Hills (Science diet) food my eldest Boxer is on being available, she might possibly be dead as she is in acute renal failure. There are times you have to do what is best for your 'own' animal / they are after all the most important dog in your life!
If you want to feed hills,or feel you have to for health reasons or whatever then thats fine, its your choice after all.
I only make recommendations, people can feed what they like.
Roger Biduk
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-04-2013, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by Kimbo84 View Post
My 11 week old beagle has been on Pedigree Chum Complete dry and tinned food since picking him up from his breeder. He looks fantastic on it, is perfectly healthy and seems to really enjoy it too.

He has really bad wind in the evenings.... Sometimes so bad it puts me off my dinner!!

I have been told this by a work collegue that this is because he is eating Pedigree Chum. Is this really the case? Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

I have a 10kg bag of the stuff so if it is true I will have to live with it until he hs eaten it all.....

All of Pedigree formulas have horrible and dangerous ingredients and must be avoided.
Your puppy is a carnivore and needs a meat diet. This stuff has no meat whatsoever!

To make matters worse, every one of their main ingredients are to be avoided and there’s actually ingredients that are carcinogens (BHA/BHT).
Ground whole corn, poultry by-product meal, brewers rice, corn gluten meal), animal fat (preserved with bha / citric acid), ground whole wheat, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, salt, vegetable oil ([source of linoleic acid]preserved with bha/bht), fish oil.

You can see what these ingredients do to your puppy here.
You can go to Consumer Affairs and see 233 documented complaints on Pedigree foods... truly horrible food.

The best by far is Orijen Puppy, 80% meat, grain-free, no fillers, with 13 human-grade, named not anonymous fish/meat ingredients, whole eggs, in a total different league than Pedigree. Orijen Puppy contains not even ONE ingredient that’s in Pedigree Puppy...!
Orijen was voted best pet food 3 years in a row in Canada & U.S.
Roger Biduk
lindaisy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-04-2013, 12:50 AM
Unfortunately dog food is a minefield.....I have tried different brands over the years....my girl came to me on tripe and biscuits.

I tried JWB as phased change.......oh the smell and the poo made it quite clear she wasn't built for this brand.

The tried Pets At Homes....Science nutritient....ate it and then after first bag, absolutley turned her nose up at it....was told, no dog will starve to death, but she had her reason for refusing it? (£35 for 12 kg)

Now use csj......for a bulldog I get limited wind (windy because they take in air when breathing ) The food is brilliant quality, daisy has never been healthier, shiny coat and full of beans.....and good solid output from quality input (food, "that'll do"...... £12 for 15kg)...they do a puppy brand and samples.

http://www.csjk9.com/productcart/pc/...=6&pageStyle=P
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Rosie is JWB duck and no smelly farts or breath
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2013, 07:47 AM
Well...short answer...yes!

Long answer... I worked as a trainer for a behaviourist for a good few years and if ever a puppy/or dog come to that did a big disgustingly smelly loosish poo in class you could bet your bottom dollar they would be fed on pedigree.

We used to say 'ooois he fed on pedigree by any chance?' And they'd always be amazed....'how can you tell that!!'

Used to make to laugh that, minutes after winning Crufts, the new Pedigree ad would claim that the winner was fed on it. Personally I think, if they were fed on Pedigree they'd be lucky to get round the ring with out stopping for a big dump!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2013, 07:51 AM
My various dogs have always been fed on FROMM which is American and is similar to JWB but oilier. You buy it via agents rather than in shops...which means they can deliver it to your door! They'll all done well on it ....but we changed Tonks over to Wafcol Salmon and Potato as we think she is allergic to chicken.
Dr Salter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-05-2013, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Well...short answer...yes!

Long answer... I worked as a trainer for a behaviourist for a good few years and if ever a puppy/or dog come to that did a big disgustingly smelly loosish poo in class you could bet your bottom dollar they would be fed on pedigree.

We used to say 'ooois he fed on pedigree by any chance?' And they'd always be amazed....'how can you tell that!!'

Used to make to laugh that, minutes after winning Crufts, the new Pedigree ad would claim that the winner was fed on it. Personally I think, if they were fed on Pedigree they'd be lucky to get round the ring with out stopping for a big dump!
I used to deal with one of the Senior Managers of Pedigree, who told me that directly after a Crufts win the dogs owner would be given a free years supply of dog food. This would enable Pedigree to then say that the winner was fed Pedigree Dog Food. You cant always trust the adverts, more to the point you can NEVER trust adverts completely.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Check out this quick start guide on dog food Kimbo:

Dog food info

My personal take on smelly farts/bad breath is that it is a sign that the diet is not agreeable with the dog. I noticed that when Rocky was put on Raw food he hardly ever farted and when he did they did not pong

I would always prefer a species-appropriate diet as just makes most sense.
I agree with Azz.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >