Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cooper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2005, 01:08 PM

What dogs are banned in Europe?

Hello, Not been on for a while - havent personally got a computer at the mo!
I want to know what dogs are banned in Europe. My partner and I would like to go travelling round Europe and cannot seem to find a definate list (in English) of what dogs are banned where. I had planned to get a AB - but we would definately be taking them with us, and I dont think its fair if it has to be muzzled while out! Its a tricky on being a fan of bullbreeds, and whatever I am getting has to be shorthaired as long hair brings me out in a rash!

Does anyone know?
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-09-2005, 02:07 PM
I have found a few interesting site about traveling in europe and one site refers to certain breeds i hope this will help you

http://www.dogsaway.co.uk/
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/petplanet/news/eutravel.htm
http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/tr...lcustoms.shtml

http://dogs.about.com/cs/breedprofiles/a/apbt_bsl.htm
Ninja
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Hi Cooper,
I'm not 100% sure, but I know that Europe is looking to include the Amstaff and staff. The same dogs as here are all banned (Pitbull / Fila Brasilero / Tosa Inu & Dogo Argentino) There is a good website which essentially is dedicated to the Dorset Olde Tyme Bulldog, but there are alot of knowlegable people on there who are intesrested in all 'Bully' types....they have several forums which may be able to help (The [Auto edit: links to this site are not allowed] / Guardian Dogs and an anti BSL page). They would be worth a go as I'm pretty sure someone on there will be able to help:

You'll have to go in through www.bulldoginformation.com, then select the Dorset Olde Tyme Bulldog, then use the link to ******* dogs.....

Hope this helps
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-09-2005, 02:18 PM
With your dog you won't be able to get into France got this from the British Embassy site

Travelling to France
You are not allowed to import any of the following category 1 dogs into France: -
Mastiff (these types of dogs can be named "boerbulls");
Staffordshire terrier without a pedigree;
American Staffordshire terrier without a pedigree (these types of dogs can be named " Pitbulls");
Tosa without a pedigree.

Germany info from the German Consular

Akbas
- Alano
- American Staffordshire Terrier *
- Bandog
- Berger de Beauce (Beauceron)
- Berger de Brie (Briard)
- Bullmastiff
- Bull-terrier *
- Cane Corso
- Carpatin
- Chinesischer Kampfhund (Chinese fighting dog)
- Dobermann
- Dogo Argentino
- Dogue de Bordeaux
- Estrela-Berghund
- Fila Brasileiro
- Kangal
- Karakatschan
- Karshund
- Kaukasischer Owtscharka
- Komondor
- Kraski Ovcar
- Kuvasz
- Liptak (Goralenhund)
- Maremmaner Hirtenhund
- Mastiff
- Mastin de los Pirineos
- Mastin Espanol
- Mastino Napoletano
- Mioritic
- Mittelasiatischer Owtscharka
- Perro de Presa Canario
- Perro de Presa Mallorquin
- Pit-bull terrier*
- Polski Owczarek Podhalanski
- Pyrenäenberghund
- Raffeiro do Alentejo
- Rhodesian Ridgeback
- Römischer Kampfhund
- Rottweiler
- Sarplaninac
- Slovensky Cuvac
- Staffordshire Bull-terrier*
- Sürdrussischer Owtscharka
- Tibetanischer Mastiff
- Tornjak
- Tosa Inu

*These breeds are prohibited under all circumstances

Holland

Pit Bull Terriers and Pit Bull Terrier crossbreeds are not allowed in the Netherlands.

Thats just a few if you look or contact each embassy in turn they will give you the list
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2005, 02:22 PM
A lot of countries require a lot of dogs to be muzzled in public anyway.
I know when I was in the Czech Republic, I saw a lot of dogs with muzzles on in the streets.
Cooper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-10-2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks for your replies - like I said - No computer, so it takes me a while to catch up.

Gosh its all quite confusing. We want to choose breeds that are not going to give us any problems travelling around Europe... so i guess we are going to have to look at all the contries legislations on dogs...

My partner wants a Boerboel - which we though wasnt included under the legislations but it appears that in France - Mastiffs are not allowed (and in brackets it say "these are sometimes called Boerbulls") so I guess that includes the Boerboel.

I am thinking of getting a Hairless Chinese Crested - as that will solve my allergy problem and they are not banned - but talking the OH around the owning one (even though it will be MY dog) is proving extreamily difficult.
mitch
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Are SBT banned in Spain, My sister has just bought a bungalow in Spain and is planning on moving over there this time next year. She loves my dogs to death and is hoping for a pup from my bitch Rio in the future, but of course it's no good if she can't take him/her with them when they go

Mitch
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-10-2005, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by mitch
Are SBT banned in Spain, My sister has just bought a bungalow in Spain and is planning on moving over there this time next year. She loves my dogs to death and is hoping for a pup from my bitch Rio in the future, but of course it's no good if she can't take him/her with them when they go

Mitch
Found these articles 1 2 mitch
mitch
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2005, 07:59 AM
Thanks for that, having a Staffie is out of the question then

Mitch