Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 01:29 PM

Why do dogs eat their own sick?

Woody just threw up. I think he's OK and he did seem to wolf down his lunch.

But why did he try to eat it and frantically pull towards it when I pulled him away?

Is this an instinct thing? What would he do if I wasn't here to drag him away and clean it up?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Sometimes it is more 'regurgitation' than sick. It can be particularly common where dogs are competing for food - they swallow as much as they can as quickly as they can, then go away, regurgitate it and eat it at a more leisurely pace.

In my experience, if the sickness is due to being unwell/something bad they have eaten, they are not interested in eating what they bring up. If its more about regurgitation, they do want to eat it. Rightly or wrongly I let Hoki (who is the only one who does it really) eat it again if she wants - it saves me having to clean it up!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Hi Pidge dogs/puppies often regurgitate food then re eat it, so in this instance they are not really eating vomit.
I thing this may to some extent be natural puppy behaviour,a puppy fed along side litter mates making sure it gets a portion of food while it is available, then going off to a corner and bringing it back to eat more leisurely.

Bitches may regurgitate food to feed to their puppies, this often occurs when the puppies are reaching the weaning stage. When the bitch eats the food it may be chewed/mixed with saliva/ making it easer for puppies to digest, so it is a natural behaviour.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Was going to say because they have not finished with it but to say it is regurgitation is a better way. Don't worry it is normal and natural, just try not to look.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Oh OK, thanks guys, I'll leave him to it next time then (bleugh ;o)
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Yep, mine do this too!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 04:34 PM
My boys eat each others....
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 04:53 PM
My dog eats his poo so be thankful it's only vomit Pidge is eating....
(No need for halp or advice on it, it's not only a breed thing, it's a family thing, from both his parents and grandparents etc...we knew he would,he does, we just need to be quick with a bag!!!! The plus is, he only does it when it's still warm!)
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
My dog eats his poo so be thankful it's only vomit Pidge is eating....
(No need for halp or advice on it, it's not only a breed thing, it's a family thing, from both his parents and grandparents etc...we knew he would,he does, we just need to be quick with a bag!!!! The plus is, he only does it when it's still warm!)
sorry but im glad somebody elses dog does this!!! my boy has done it since he was a pup and i absoluely hate it-if he messes out in the garden late at night and i get him in before i eat it then the next morning he makes a b-line for it-and in public it is soo embarassing when hes trying to steal the poo bag out of my hand
on the other hand though he never ever tries to eat his sick
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 06:02 PM
before HE eats it lol not me
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >