View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 03:31 PM
I have heard on another Forum that people think his methods of training are a bit cruel! I have watched many, many of his t.v. programmes, most more than once and I have never seen him do anything that would hurt an animal! If I did, I would definitely not be a supporter of him. I think he is wonderful. He has to be very firm with some animals (because the owners have allowed them to become out of control) but I have never seen him use any method that I would not use on my own dogs. I have never seen him use any collars that I have thought would hurt an animal. However, I keep hearing about prong collars and I really don't know anything about these - well.................. having Chihuahuas, they'd not really be necessary! lol
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 03:45 PM
I think the guys ok.. I wont go into detail on here as I have said it all before on the forum, but as a trainer who deals with very aggressive dogs, I see things from a diff angle, I dont like the prong collars, I have never used them.

the one thing I do feel is, he methods should never be used by novice trainers, or people who have any fear of dogs.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

31-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
the one thing I do feel is, his methods should never be used by novice trainers, or people who have any fear of dogs.
I've only seen a few of his shows but all the 'owners' have seemed to me to be people who did very little research before getting their dog and who seem surprised when it gets aggressive or demanding.

I would not class myself as experienced or knowledgible but have done some research prior to getting our two little terrors and I think I can say I'm better prepared than those 'owneres' on his show.

It worries me a bit that he might be comming in, doing his stuff, and leaving, and the 'owners' are not a lot better off than before, especially if a new 'problem' rears it's ugly head.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
He makes the dog wear it high up on the neck though...so it hurts....
Same position as a gentle leader, they don't hurt.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I thought a canny collar was a head collar? The closing part is high on the neck, but there is no pressure exerted on it.
PUtting a slip lead, half check or check high on the neck hurts as the dog is more sensitive on that part of the neck, that's why people do it.
I see, I thought the concept was the same as a canny collar - i.e. you get more control of the head by putting the collar high up.

I didn't realise the top of the neck is more sensitive - why is that?
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
the one thing I do feel is, he methods should never be used by novice trainers, or people who have any fear of dogs.
That's so true. When I hear about people having to have their dog PTS because they've made it so aggressive by pinning it, I don't see that as CM's fault. I see it as the owners fault.

If you see someone on TV jumping over a ravine on a motorbike, you wouldn't go out and try it yourself
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 04:55 PM
It worries me a bit that he might be comming in, doing his stuff, and leaving, and the 'owners' are not a lot better off than before, especially if a new 'problem' rears it's ugly head.
this is what kind of concerns me about it all, as his methods are very sort of quick fix, other behaviours could develop in some dogs who need a more slow and steady training, these new behaviours may be worse than the first problem,
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
That's so true. When I hear about people having to have their dog PTS because they've made it so aggressive by pinning it, I don't see that as CM's fault. I see it as the owners fault.

If you see someone on TV jumping over a ravine on a motorbike, you wouldn't go out and try it yourself
sadly though, many people do try what they see on tv, the use of squirting water and shaker bottles has become every day in pet homes.
whats worse is, they may work for a while, but when people use them they dont use them to train out the behaviour, they just use them to stop the behaviour, so when the dog becomes immune to it, they have to move on to more and more harsh methods...
because of some tv programes people will use every harsh method in the book before they contact a trainer or behaviourist, by the time they do the dog is often so much worse..
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Awww come on how is it any different to any other behaviourist being called in. Once the problem is dealt with they can then go to ordinary dog training or work on it themselves, they do get follow ups and they can always call on him again at a later date for $350
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 05:01 PM
im not a big fan of behaviourists either... but that just based on what I have seen or heard round my way... its just a big con as far as Im concerned... the prices they charge...
Page 5 of 40 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »