Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
My post was made purely because I was really surprised when I read this thread...I missed your others as life is mad here right now. I also genuinely feel awful for her.

Okay so what can you do?
Get her sued to spending short times aways from you. Get a kong and put something smelly and great in it for her and leave her with it for a couple of minutes, pop back, disappear etc.
Try to make her a safe and secure place where you knwo you can leave her. If you can, invest in a LARGE crate, or you could get a puppy playpen thing and cordon off an area for her to sleep and pace in. At least then you can leave her with no damage being done.
Accept that tomorrow, she will need someone with her, doing the leaving her small periods of time thing again...same Saturday and Sunday, gradually build it up, by Monday if you are lucky, you may be able to leave her 2hrs...
You need to build up her trust. Take her out on the lead and wear her out.
She will settle, it will take a couple of weeks...clear your diary!
I totally agree, and have suggested this - as have others - a LARGE crate is needed for her (I would put a cover on it too as said before).

This is very good advice on building up the leaving period.

Good luck - sorry if we are saying the obvious on being calm etc. but whilst you might be doing that we dont' know.
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
I totally agree, and have suggested this - as have others - a LARGE crate is needed for her (I would put a cover on it too as said before).

This is very good advice on building up the leaving period.

Good luck - sorry if we are saying the obvious on being calm etc. but whilst you might be doing that we dont' know.
No, no - its all good advice! I appreciate all of it.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Lara_C View Post
Without any sarcasm or aggression here, I know what position we are in and what mistake I have been made.
I understand. Although from your view point, its not very helpful pointing out what you should have done in terms of taking time off, lots of other people read these threads as well and it serves as a pointer to any potential new dog owners reading this so hopefully they can learn from it.

Its just really, really difficult to come up with a solution which doesn't involve you spending time with her.

If you haven't yet, I would certainly take up Claire&Daisy's offer of the details of some GSD rescues.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Yes, and I appreciate every single piece of it.

My OH took her out for 3 quarters of an hour this morning. She is eating and drinking - not a problem and poo'd and wee'd on her walk but am going to take her out again in a bit.

We have tried limiting her to one room but this seems to distress her more - even if I'm in with her.
Ok - good to hear she is eating and drinking - have you got a kong - I would give her food in a kong - you might need to hold it for her.

How is her poo? She might get a bit runny with the stress so be warned.

Not sure if letting her investigate all rooms or limiting is best here ?? Anyone else?
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

Another idea is rescue remedy? It's a herbal tincture mainly used for humans but can be safely used for dogs and you can put a few drops in Bailey's mouth (if you can!!!) or in the water. Just another idea in case you can't get a DAP. Boots and other health stores/pharmacies stock it.
It has a calming influence.
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Her poop is solid!

No kong, Her previous owners said she doesn't understand what to do with it!
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Is she food responsive - as in comes to you or will sit for a treat?
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Her poop is solid!

No kong, Her previous owners said she doesn't understand what to do with it!
Re: the kong she will - all dogs don't instantly know what to do LOL! They learn and with you holding perhaps showing - only fill it loosely so everything falls out easily she soon get the hang of it - mind you perhaps some dogs don't???

glad her poo is fine at the mo - but just be prepared it might not stay that way
Lara_C
Dogsey Junior
Female 

Nope! She understands "basket" and will occasionally respond to sit.

Incidentally, she won't eat from the hand either - only her bowl.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Not sure if letting her investigate all rooms or limiting is best here ?? Anyone else?
Stumpy our most recent rescue was, I'm pretty sure, an outside dog. She is comfortable in the house, but does get more nervous if she is shut in a room (with or without one of us). So from that experience alone, I would say let her have full run of the place. The only disadvantage to that of course, is that if you do this when you're not with her, the damage could be spread across the whole house.

One other thought - how secure is your garden? I wonder whether, having been used to living outside in an early home, she might be more comfortable being left in the garden for the time being? But you would have to be ultra sure that she could not get out (or that anyone else could get in). You've also got the problem that presumably you don't have a kennel or other shelter for her out there.
Page 4 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »