Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 03:49 PM

Illusion Dog collar by Cesar Millan

Has anyone had experience with this?

Its not a headcollar, but a different approach whereby it can't slip down from the top of the neck so that you always have the collar at the safest, and easiest to control place of the neck.

What do you think to the concept? Has anyone used it?

http://cesarmillan.securesites.net/index.php?cPath=76
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Are you thinking of using/buying one?

This collar, designed to sit at the top of the neck (which is sensitive) isn't something I'd ever suggest to any of my clients...
and i'd be upset if I saw them using one...

Old school trainers (the ones who use methods based on force) will slide check chains and similar up to that part of the neck because it is so sensitive and they basically know it hurts if they want to use force. A dog I knew attacked his owner when she "corrected" him after she'd put his chain up in that position... so I'd always be very wary.

It's interesting that in the video link, the GSd doesn't look very happy even with it just being put on. Could be coincidence but...

Wys
x
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks Wys,

I'm not thinking of using one as one of mine is trained to walk close and I am training the other with a clicker.

However, as I am training to be a dog trainer - I am seeing people regularly and am often asked about walking to heel.
On the whole, I prefer to work with them on the more pushing problems they have and believe that, with lots of them heelwork is impossible until other things have been looked at so I suggest headcollars/harnesses.

I have a list of these (mainly walkezee and dogmatic) to offer them and am always looking out for new ones.

I would never suggest a product until I'd checked it out or had reviews from others - hence my reason for asking

Thanks again.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-05-2007, 04:42 PM
I had a look at the collar, it looks to me like a slip collar (a collar like a noose that tightened when pulled) with additional sections that keep the collar at the top of the neck just behind the dogs ears.

This quote from the FAQ section says a lot...

Are there any dogs who shouldn’t wear The Illusion collar?
Yes. Dogs with a neck measurement of less than 13 inches; dogs with any breathing problems, such as “pushed-in faces” that restrict breathing; dogs with trachea or throat problems, such as Pomeranians; dogs with elongated, overly slender necks, such as Greyhounds.
How does the collar work?
The Illusion Collar & Leash Set is designed to allow the owner to walk and train the dog using a slip collar correction, without having to stop and realign the collar to the proper position. It provides the ability to give a firm, yet quick and gentle, correction that eases up when the pressure is released. A normal slip collar falls to the base of the neck near the shoulders, which does not provide as much control.
needless to say I wouldn't want to use one..
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 04:44 PM
I should've just read more carefully really, shouldn't I

Strange as I've heard so many say how good Cesar Millan is...
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Thanks Wys,

I would never suggest a product until I'd checked it out or had reviews from others - hence my reason for asking
Good for you, Lottie
I'm the same too, I like to try equipment out before suggesting it to anyone.

I do think loose lead walking is the very hardest thing to train, probably the hardest thing as it's not natural behaviour really :smt001

Wys
x
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2007, 05:18 PM
I would never use it on any dog. The neck, especially up just behind the ears, is a very sensitive place.
The reason people think CM is good, is because what he does looks good to the uneducated eye.
Once you learn about dog behaviour and the way they use body language to communicate, you will see for yourself that he is a bully who uses bruta, physical force to train dogs, and that his canine clients are "behaving" in order to stop the pain, rather than because they are "cured" from their behavioural problem.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Are you thinking of using/buying one?

This collar, designed to sit at the top of the neck (which is sensitive) isn't something I'd ever suggest to any of my clients...
and i'd be upset if I saw them using one...

Old school trainers (the ones who use methods based on force) will slide check chains and similar up to that part of the neck because it is so sensitive and they basically know it hurts if they want to use force. A dog I knew attacked his owner when she "corrected" him after she'd put his chain up in that position... so I'd always be very wary.

It's interesting that in the video link, the GSd doesn't look very happy even with it just being put on. Could be coincidence but...

Wys
x

DITO sadly some people are given this tip by many trainers its barbaric, dangerous cruel I could go on and on, but its what dog trainers do well only the ones who have no tallent for training dogs but know the pain way to stop things, problem is these often cause other problems with the dog linking pain to some situations, not good,
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 08:08 PM
I haven't ever seen Cesar Millan in action - and having recently found out it's on Wednesdays on Sky3 I'm going to be able to catch it.

I find it incredibly frustrating, as someone who is known by work colleagues/friends to train dogs, when people talk to me about things such as 'The Dog Whisperer' programme and I can't comment so I'm going to have to watch it.

I've only ever been told he gets great results but assumed this was through positive training as I didn't think he would be able to air his programme if it was all about aversives.

I think I need to watch it now, if it's only to correct people when they say how good he is...
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm actually shocked - having looked at it properly, that I was stupid enough to think this was anything other than a punishment based method
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »