Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-04-2007, 09:06 AM

13 whole years ago today..

My dear g-grandad 'fell asleep' after four years of battling throat cancer...at the age of 73, had been a non smoker all his life n all. Leaving behind a wife, numerous children, a small infantry of grandchildren and at the time just one great grandchild-yours truly, to say he missed out on so much in just a few short years after his death is an understatement..16 great grandchildren followed me, and were all born from the year of his death onwards..he missed all of his grandchildren growing up and going down various isles, various numbers of times in most cases, and most of all he left behind his dear ol' Peg, who at the age of 81 this August is still very much here...
Half past nine this morning, 13 years ago, I was there when he made his journey down the next path..was only young myself but fully understood what was happening as it had been spoke about in depth, a very peaceful way to go..with loved ones around him, smiling at the time infact..and an actual 'sweet release' from what really was a long and bravely fought battle.
Something i will always remember is when he was denounced terminal on Valentines day, and tot hink he died less than two months later, and my father said too him "No-it has too be wrong,y our not going anywhere-over my dead body" and grandad replied, "Ahh wrong again my boy, it'll be over mine actually".
Think i shall go to the cemetry today and put some flowers down..and I know this sounds a wee bit stupid as thirteen years is an awful long time, however..I think, this is how we live on..even after we're gone..by those remembering us..at times of need or time of significance...
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm sorry for your loss Luke, but as you rightly put it, we all live on in the memory of others.

I still go and visit my Dad, and he's been gone 30 years in June. It's my way of still being in touch with him (other than talking to a rose bush I planted in his memory)
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Its just sometimes Wolfie, you do feel like your an absoloutle fruit loop still getting affected by the little things..no matter how many years ago it actually was..
Strange thing was this morning I and some other people who were in the house at the time, could distinctly smell 'old spice' around the house..and as the only male in the house, i know i certainly don't wear that..but a certain deceased gent did.
Thats what i remember..his smell, him and the dogs [GSD's & Rough Collies] and the fact he was just under seven foot tall, so you really could never loose him in a crowd..
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 09:14 AM
your not stupid Luke,
Just because he is gone does not mean he has to be forgotten after 13 years.
I had a tear in my eye as I read this, maybe one day my OH will be able to remember his dad this way, until that day comes......
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Its just sometimes Wolfie, you do feel like your an absoloutle fruit loop still getting affected by the little things..no matter how many years ago it actually was..
Strange thing was this morning I and some other people who were in the house at the time, could distinctly smell 'old spice' around the house..and as the only male in the house, i know i certainly don't wear that..but a certain deceased gent did.
Thats what i remember..his smell, him and the dogs [GSD's & Rough Collies] and the fact he was just under seven foot tall, so you really could never loose him in a crowd..
There's nothing stupid in that at all Luke. If that was the case, I'd be carted off everytime I talk to a rose bush!!
There's never any time scale in which to grieve. It affects us all differently, and for the fact you had very little time with him, you probably feel worse

I still grieve over my Dad. I was 11 when he died so he never got to see me or my sisters grow up, see any of his grandchildren and what they've achieved in thier lives, but, I know he's still with us all, and he'd be proud as punch, especially about his grandchildren.