Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2004, 07:51 AM

Luna is having trouble hearing!

Hi All

Twice yesterday when out walking with Luna she ran towards another dog (on the first walk, on the second "Nightwalk" she ran towards 3 guys standing about 100 meters away - no dog in sight!) normally she turns and comes back. But yesterday she just kept running and eventually when I got closer she would come to me.

She is 13 months old and her first season "stopped" about 2 weeks ago. Can anyone give me an idea why she does this?

Jeanette
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-05-2004, 09:53 AM
Hi Jeanette

We went through a stage like that a few months ago. Star decided to ignore us and hide in the bushes

It only lasted a few weeks with Star, it was as if she was testing us. Almost as soon as it started she stopped it.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2004, 11:31 AM
Oh thank god.

I'm considering buying a long leash and simply not letting her loose, but she likes to run so that would be a bit sad.

But I just have to be extra watchful these next days and catch her before she starts running away

The worst part is that the guys she ran to are turks and they are not really that fond of dogs (big understatement!!!!!!!!!) so she could have been kicked or hit. Luckily they didn't touch her!

Jeanette
bitsy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2004, 11:52 AM
Hi Jeanette

My pup also suffers from SELECTIVE HEARING, on may occasions i am sure i am shouting the wrong name. i am working very hard on recall but it is difficult when she does not listen to you i have even tried the hiding in the bushes( me not the dog), she does not bother she just waits until i come out dogs are just too smart sometimes
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Hi Bitsy

Yeah I've heard about selective hearing but she is 1 year old, so I thought we were over that
Jeanette
Robert
Dogsey Senior

10-05-2004, 07:51 PM
Heidi was prone to selective hearing till I trained her to recall with a whistle, if you use a whistle for recall I think it sounds more urgent to the dog and your always recalling her with the exact same tone.

The whistle also saves your voice too, especially when its windy, you do have to be a little careful though that you always have your whistle with you.
bitsy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2004, 07:54 PM
Hi Robert

i was thinking of getting a whistle, i have seen a new clicker which is a whistle too, so i might get myself one.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

10-05-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Robert K
Heidi was prone to selective hearing till I trained her to recall with a whistle, if you use a whistle for recall I think it sounds more urgent to the dog and your always recalling her with the exact same tone.

The whistle also saves your voice too, especially when its windy, you do have to be a little careful though that you always have your whistle with you.
Can u tell us how you trained her this Robert?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-05-2004, 06:08 AM
I agree with Robert. A whistle is a far more effective recall tool than the voice. It carries further and is always the same pitch so the dog doesn't hear any anger, panic, etc.

I train recall to the whistle by using it it every day prior to putting down the dogs' meals, even if they are sitting next to me I still blow the whistle. I also carry special recall treats around and will whistle and reward sveral times a day, indoors and out. You will need to do this for a few weeks, depending on the age of your dog, but it really does not take too long for them to realise that the whistle means good things coming.

If you use a variable pitch whistle make sure that, once you have found the pitch to which your dogs responds best, you lock in that pitch - even if you have to use superglue
Robert
Dogsey Senior

11-05-2004, 09:54 AM
First of all get your self a good whistle, a gundog whistle is probably best, some people use a sheperds whistle, but they can be tricky to learn how to use. if you get a gundog whistle get your self two, both of the same pitch, they come in different pitches, 211.5 and 210.5 for example, you need two, one to keep with you and one in the car, you'll find if you have only one, you'll forget it when you go out. If you do a search on the internet you'll find gundogs suppliers who will send you whistles mail order, I got mine from Turner Richards.

Decide how you'd like to blow the whistle to recall your dog, I use 3 short pips, but you can use what ever recall you like as long as its consistant, and its a good idea to go some where with out your dog to practice blowing your recall till your happy with it.

To train your dog to the whistle, begin in the house and garden by just calling him as you would normally, then blow your chosen recall on your whistle, when he comes plenty of praise and perhaps a treat.
If you attach a lanyard or string to your whistle you can wear it round your neck so its always at hand, when ever you call your dog for what ever reason use the whistle as well.
After a day or two you can try just blowing the whistle, and when your dog comes give him loads of praise and let him know how pleased you are.

In a very short time you'll be the envy of other dog owners when you use your whistle and your dog comes racing back to you

once you and your dog are happy with the recall, you can teach sits, downs and all sorts of things with various signals of the whistle.

Good luck
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >